Sprint 4G LTE going Live in 100 cities over next few months

TheWeazmeister

<a href=http://www.blogcdn.com/www.parentdish.com/
Sprint has announced today that its aggressive LTE rollout plan is still very much so, committing to adding an additional 100 cities to the 19 already 4G LTE ready cities in the next few months. This is a high goal and expectation to set for itself, but Sprint is looking to dominate the market and give its customer exactly what they want.

http://briefmobile.com/sprint-4g-lt...es-over-next-few-months#press-release-outside

Fuck sprint and their 4G service.

/bitter epic owenr who got it day 2 and NEVER saw 4g service in San Diego.. despite the number of times they swore they were bringing it.

/edit: San Diego is still not getting 4g LTE service

Fuck sprint and their 4G service.

/bitter epic owenr who got it day 2 and NEVER saw 4g service in San Diego.. despite the number of times they swore they were bringing it.

/edit: San Diego is still not getting 4g LTE service

You'll get it next year....they promise ;)

Oh yea! Lakeland - winter haven is getting it. I live right in the middle of them so I look forward to this. I just may have to upgrade to an s3 soon. I'll try to wait a few weeks before I do to see if they are true to their word.

Wow, even Ocala, FL is getting it. Between that and Orlando, I'll be set.

I'm in the Sarasota-Venice-North Port Area. I know Sarasota has 4G from AT&T and Verizon... I hope we get 4G soon too.

I was actually just going to post this same article, and I was going to say that if Sprint offers unlimited 4G and 3G a LOT of people will switch. This is going to be great. I hope I don't jinx it, but I haven't heard any rumor or notion of tiered data plans for Sprint... I mean, they've been able to hold out this long with unlimited 3G and with the Nextel towers opening up, I think our service is going to get better pretty soon. This time next year, i'll probably have LTE in my area. Can't wait.

I got Sprint's post in FB about this and left a comment that they should transition Omaha/Council Bluffs soon, since it would be comparatively cheap and fast vs other location. We're not even on their rollout roadmap out to 2014. :mad:

Every Network Vision upgraded Sprint tower should be able to power 4G LTE. Everywhere outside that you can get 3G now, you will be able to get LTE. The 800 MHz spectrum from Nextel will only be allocated for 3G until 2015. VoLTE will be available toward the end of this year or early next year for select phones. Sprint is aiming for 1.5 Mbps minimum down speed in most areas.

I sound like a Sprint salesperson... I need Sprint to give me $...

Every Network Vision upgraded Sprint tower should be able to power 4G LTE. Everywhere outside that you can get 3G now, you will be able to get LTE. The 800 MHz spectrum from Nextel will only be allocated for 3G until 2015. VoLTE will be available toward the end of this year or early next year for select phones. Sprint is aiming for 1.5 Mbps minimum down speed in most areas.

1.5Mbps isn't that great. Verizon is still aiming for 5-12 down and 2-5 up and AT&T hasn't really said, but will probably aim for at least 6Mbps as that's similar to what they offer on HSPA.

I think he meant they were looking for 1.5mb on their 3G, CDMA network, not LTE. Where I live, I got about 2-2.75mb down on CDMA. Unfortunately, 20 minutes away could barely pull 200k.

Yes, the base 3G speed. CDMA technology hasn't been updated in a while... Hence no CDMA+ as opposed to HSPA+.

(clicks to see list of cities)

:(

The 4G LTE Network build is under way in the following areas:

Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastian, Puerto Rico
Albermarle, N.C.
Anderson, Ind.
Asheville, N.C.
Athens, Tenn.
Athens, Texas
Austin, Texas
Barnstable Town (Hyannis/Midcape), Mass.
Baton Rouge, La.
Bethesda-Rockville-Frederick, Md.
Boston
Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, Mass.
Charlotte, N.C.
Chattanooga, Tenn.
Chicago
Clarksville, Tenn.
Cleveland, Tenn.
Coamo, Puerto Rico
College Station, Texas
Columbia, Tenn.
Columbus, Ind.
Cookeville, Tenn.
Crossville, Tenn.
Daytona Beach-Deltona-Ormond Beach, Fla.
Elkhart-Goshen, Ind.
Fayetteville, N.C.
Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, Fla.
Gainesville, Fla.
Gary, Ind.
Goldsboro, N.C.
Greenville, N.C.
Greeneville, Tenn.
Guayama, Puerto Rico
Hammond, La.
Harriman, Tenn.
Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.
Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux, La.
Hutchinson, Kan.
Indianapolis-Carmel, Ind.
Jacksonville, Fla.
Johnson City, Tenn.
Jonesboro, Ark.
Kankakee-Bradley-Bourbonnais, Ill.
Kerrville, Texas
Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, Texas
Kingsport-Bristol, Tenn.
Kinston, N.C.
Knoxville, Tenn.
Lakeland-Winter Haven, Fla.
Lancaster, S.C.
Lawrence, Kan.
Lincolnton, N.C.
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, Calif.
Lumberton, N.C.
McPherson, Kan.
Memphis, Tenn.
Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, Fla.
Morgan City, La.
Morristown, Tenn.
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Muncie, Ind.
Nashville, Tenn.
New Orleans
New York-White Plains-Wayne, N.Y.
Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, Va.
Ocala, Fla.
Ocean Pines, Md.
Palatka, Fla.
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Fla.
Peabody/Lawrence-Methuen/Gloucester, Mass.
Philadelphia
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Port St. Lucie, Fla.
Roanoke Rapids, N.C.
Rochelle, Ill.
Rockford, Ill.
Rocky Mount, N.C.
Salina, Kan.
Salisbury, Md.
Salisbury, N.C.
San German-Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Sebastian-Vero Beach, Fla.
Sevierville, Tenn.
Shelby, N.C.
Southern Pines-Pinehurst, N.C.
Springfield, Mass.
Statesville-Mooresville, N.C.
St. Thomas, USVI
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Fla.
Topeka, Kan.
Tullahoma, Tenn.
Tupelo, Miss.
Warrensburg, Mo.
Washington, D.C.-Arlington-Alexandria, Va.
Waukegan-Lake County, Ill.
West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach, Fla.
Wichita, Kan.
Wichita Falls, Texas
Wilson, N.C.
Worcester-Fitchburg-Leominster, Mass.
Yauco, Puerto Rico

from the press release button

Sprints pretty good at over promising and under delivering, ill believe it when I see it.

They need to upgrade backhaul in order to make LTE realistic in a lot of places tho. Their tower upgrades in Puerto Rico's metro area are done or will be done by the end of this month, but the backhaul won't be there until end of year or early next year, so no LTE until then.

I'm happy with my service and what I pay right now, and I was ecstatic with their EVO One X variant (kickstand + larger battery + camera button + microSD? hell yeah), but I'll still pay my ETF and bail if there hasn't been significant progress by next summer.

I'm just glad T-Mobile is offering truly unlimited plans again, even if they end up charging the same as Sprint (for a single line anyway) after you add unlimited data... Which itself isn't much less than what you'd pay for a capped plan on AT&T or VZW ($80 vs ?).

they should've invested in lte-advance and more towers instead of in apple

Before they can even think about 10, they have to close down Nextel first as they need all of their available spectrum to pull off 3GPP Release 10. It may seem like a waste to do 8 and 9 first but they build off each other so going to Advance should be very quick. This is why pretty much everyone has said they plan on moving to it next year.

They could promise a weekly blowjob along with whatever phone/network they want, doesn't mean you'd ever actually get it.

I jumped onboard for 2 years of Sprint with the Evo -- the only WiMaxx I got was when I was within a block of the sprint store in my town.

Just like PC hardware, there is always promise of something better around the corner. Sooner or later you just have to stop, say fuck it, and get what works today. I actually don't mind paying 20 dollars more per month for my service now that I get LTE all over the DFW, TX area :)

STILL NO PHOENIX! And did anyone else notice the EXTREMELY LOW UPLOAD SPEEDS on that page?!!?

What am I supposed to do w/ 2-3Mbps? Browse the mobile web?

STILL NO PHOENIX! And did anyone else notice the EXTREMELY LOW UPLOAD SPEEDS on that page?!!?

What am I supposed to do w/ 2-3Mbps? Browse the mobile web?

2-3 MBPS UPLOAD slow. What do you have for home service. Around here there are people that would give to have that as a download.

Thats all that I have for upload with cable internet and I have a FAST plan here.

Any who 5g will here before we have decent 3g Gotta love Iowa.

Those wouldn't be terrible upload speeds, but they wouldn't be great either, relatively speaking. Family member just got a One X and I've been making him test AT&T's LTE around town and at home... Download speeds haven't been less than 6Mb yet and upload is usually right around that too, seen as high as 9Mb down and 8Mb up (inside a movie theater no less).

It'll be curious to see how much the average drops after a few thousand people in the area get their new IPhones at the end of the week... I'm not sure Android has quite as high a market share in Puerto Rico as in the states.

High upload speeds can be quite useful tho, a ton of people automatically upload their pictures to Dropbox or some other cloud these days the second they're taken, the faster the phone can do it the faster it goes to sleep and the more battery it saves. There's many other similar examples...

I haven't switched back to AT&T because of the bad CS experiences I had with them and because of the capped bandwidth, but those LTE speeds are tempting me. DSL at home is like 4Mb down and half a Mb up, there's an option to have 1Mb up but my home internet/phone bill would end up higher than my Sprint bill at that point.

I have had att, verizon and tmobile services
but never was with sprint
but I have their stocks
so they better do better
>:O

Heh, enjoy the new LTE network speeds once all those shiny new iPhone 5's with LTE show up

Sprints pretty good at over promising and under delivering, ill believe it when I see it.

This.

I've been told "Next Quarter" for WiMAX since I got my EVO 4G, now 2 years later and it never got here (closest WiMAX is VERY spotty coverage ~30 min away; 2 towns over. Closest true WiMax is Bufford (basically suburb of Atlanta))

New line is "there are a lot of sprint customers in your area, we hope to roll out LTE there within 12 months" but since even Atlanta isn't getting LTE I'm not counting on it up here (though I was told by a sales rep that they will allow roaming onto VZW's LTE so with an "unlimited data roaming" clause in my contract..... (though again, not counting on it))

Can they just improve the dreadful 3G 56k-like speeds? If I'm not on 4G in Orlando, I can basically forget using anything that needs data.

This.

I've been told "Next Quarter" for WiMAX since I got my EVO 4G, now 2 years later and it never got here (closest WiMAX is VERY spotty coverage ~30 min away; 2 towns over. Closest true WiMax is Bufford (basically suburb of Atlanta))

New line is "there are a lot of sprint customers in your area, we hope to roll out LTE there within 12 months" but since even Atlanta isn't getting LTE I'm not counting on it up here (though I was told by a sales rep that they will allow roaming onto VZW's LTE so with an "unlimited data roaming" clause in my contract..... (though again, not counting on it))

Atlanta was one of Sprints first LTE cities and has been active for a couple of months now, and Verizon and Sprint use entirely different frequencies in LTE so there's no roaming there either. Whomever you were talking to was very misinformed.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1167-sprint-lte-june-2012-schedule-maps/

That link shows the towers that they have wired for LTE, service at least at some point. I don't know where you are but its at least most of the metro. No matter who you have service if you live in the sticks it's going to take some time.

Fuck you Sprint, they 'upgraded' to LTE towers here in Houston in July and switched off the WiMax towers for which they are still selling wimax phones like my Evo3D that I got just over a year ago when they were pushing Wimax.

I called Sprint and was told that Wimax is not the direction they are going for any more and if I wanted 4G again I would have to either wait a year for my 2 year upgrade(that use to be a yearly thing till they dropped it), or pay full price for a new phone, or pay the ETF and go to another carrier.

Fuck you Sprint, they 'upgraded' to LTE towers here in Houston in July and switched off the WiMax towers for which they are still selling wimax phones like my Evo3D that I got just over a year ago when they were pushing Wimax.

I called Sprint and was told that Wimax is not the direction they are going for any more and if I wanted 4G again I would have to either wait a year for my 2 year upgrade(that use to be a yearly thing till they dropped it), or pay full price for a new phone, or pay the ETF and go to another carrier.

Let me explain WiMax service on Sprint. WiMax is handled by Clear. Sprint has 0 WiMax towers (which is why it hasn't expanded at all). That being said, WiMax service should not be changed in any way until 2015. You need a trouble ticket opened if you lost WiMax service. It is likely the rep you spoke with was uninformed.

http://www.clear.com/ - to check WiMax coverage

LTE, however is on Sprint's towers and should not cause any interruption with WiMax service.

Last edited:
There's several ways of getting a new phone while on contract without paying full price as well... The easiest one being the option they offer at the retention department to buy out your contract, sort of, it's basically like paying an ETF without affecting the contract, but cheaper, and it then resets your upgrade date and you can go buy a cheap phone at a third party (by renewing).

I paid $165 to do this in May (10 months into contract), bought the EVO LTE for $120 in June, sold the EVO 3D for $150... Basically upgraded for $135 all in. They raised the cost of doing this a few months later but it's still worthwhile if you're a year into your contract. There's some other upgrade loopholes involving Airave lines or getting out of a contract by roaming a lot...

Last edited:
I hope the do this well, sprint really needs to get their act together. The price is right, but jeeze they keep making really big mistakes. Nextel merger took way to long to consolidate, wimax for 4g was a huge waste of time that never helped much of anyone, and now they have over paid horribly for their iPhone contract. Each one of those could have been billions poured into LTE by now.

The best place for Sprint network news is the Sprint 4G Rollout Updates site (not run by Sprint), s4gru.com They've got crowd sourced reports from people that spot work being done on towers and everything... Main site is a little light on news but even that can give you a good idea of where progress is being made.

I hope the do this well, sprint really needs to get their act together. The price is right, but jeeze they keep making really big mistakes. Nextel merger took way to long to consolidate, wimax for 4g was a huge waste of time that never helped much of anyone, and now they have over paid horribly for their iPhone contract. Each one of those could have been billions poured into LTE by now.

Even though I mostly agree, not getting any contract with Apple at all could've been far worse... And I could care less for the IPhone. You can't ignore what a third of the market wants though. They seem to be ignoring Windows Phone this fall too, and I really hope that's not a long term strategy. I'm happy with Android for the time being but I think it's clear WP will be an even bigger competitor to it than iOS (in the long run).

How accurate is that map, Ryokurin? It actually shows my area in the projected coverage area! (Maybe Sprint for once isn't lieing... not holding my breath though after so many failed promises)

Those are the towers that Ericsson is slated to upgrade or have already, but setting up the tower is just one part. They also need to increase backhaul, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of the towers can't be activated until they finally turn off Nextel next year. No matter what, they still have a lot of work to do.

Those are the towers that Ericsson is slated to upgrade or have already, but setting up the tower is just one part. They also need to increase backhaul, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of the towers can't be activated until they finally turn off Nextel next year. No matter what, they still have a lot of work to do.

Even so, it's an improvement over their WiMAX rollout! (hopefully LTE wont go belly-up and become another lie like WiMAX...)

LTE wont go belly up, the question is how far ahead will verizon keep pulling LTE will have continued upgrades in speed as well. The more likely issue is will sprint make some other horrible mistake that stressed them financially or takes them forever to sort out again. I can see them dropping a couple billion on US cellular. They also are totally missing really simple things. Good luck finding a modern windows smartphone in a sprint store, and word is the windows 8 devices wont hit sprint either.

Why would Nextel's iDEN matter, LTE's going on a completely different frequency isn't it? Or does it have to do with the permits they have to run certain towers in specific areas?

Sprint has announced today that its aggressive LTE rollout plan is still very much so, committing to adding an additional 100 cities to the 19 already 4G LTE ready cities in the next few months. This is a high goal and expectation to set for itself, but Sprint is looking to dominate the market and give its customer exactly what they want.

http://briefmobile.com/sprint-4g-lt...es-over-next-few-months#press-release-outside

To late.. Already switched back to Verizon.... We were promised 4G in Toledo years ago, and to this day their service is absolutely HORRIBLE in this area...

Back