spray painting in winter....

Projkt4

Weaksauce
i know that the cold messes with the adhesive properties of spray paint, but i was wondering if it would be ok for me to spraypaint in a basement relativly soon.

Spray the paint outside, and bring the parts inside as soon as their done. Works for me.

Originally posted by ATLPIMP
Spray the paint outside, and bring the parts inside as soon as their done. Works for me.

That's what I do too, but I also warm up the spray can before I go outside

Fill a bucket with warm water, and set the can in there a few minutes, then go out and paint, then bring them back in.

i wish you'd clarified how to heat them BEFORE i'd tried heating one with a blowtorch... /moans in pain/

j/k
seriously though, don't they tell you not to heat spraypaint cans? they are already under pressure as it is, and they can only hold so much.

Heating them up is an issue..... sticking them in warm or room temp water wont hurt anything however.

I just keep the parts inside, take um out, spray them and run back in. I then prop them in front of the exhaust from my stove, and they dry quickly. Now bear in mind this is with Vinyl dye and not actual spray paint, but the concept is the same.

Originally posted by rogue_jedi
i wish you'd clarified how to heat them BEFORE i'd tried heating one with a blowtorch... /moans in pain/

j/k
seriously though, don't they tell you not to heat spraypaint cans? they are already under pressure as it is, and they can only hold so much.

I'm not talking about boiling water here, I'm taking about *warm* water...

i always painted in my basement, but made sure i had some good ventilation. and besides, i think it only kills the slow brain cells anyway :)

I took two little bathroom heaters with me outside to blow across the parts I was painting on my Monster Case. Worked beautifully!

They want you to be at 65 or above, as I sure you read on the can. I think that it has something to do with how the paint spays out of the can and is in the air as well as how it dries. Heat the basement?

If the parts fit, I bake them in my oven. Just heat the oven up, turn it off, put the freshly painted parts in and close the door. Gets a nice shiny finish every time.

And also people, if you're going to paint in the basement, be VERY careful if you have a gas furnace/hot water tank. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out why.

It is possible to paint in the cold.....Definately warm up the paint can using a bucket of warm water. It makes the paint more fluid so it atomizes properly and forms a smoother finish. Also, the parts should be at room temperature (approx. 70 Deg F). DO NOT BAKE COMPUTER PARTS WITH FRESH PAINT IN the same OVEN you cook food in! ESPECIALLY A GAS OVEN! Your oven will never be the same, plus, the plastic may melt. As long as you don't mess with it, the finish can be the same. As long as you put on at least 4 coats, you can color sand and buff it to a mirror gloss.

David

Originally posted by theNoid
Um.. move to southern california, it was 81 degrees today :)
I prefer to live in a state that doesn't like having people in it. More than 100 degrees of temperature swing from one season to the next, flood, tornado, drought. Hell, I'm even living on a fault line. About the only weather we don't get is hurricane.

Originally posted by DMS
DO NOT BAKE COMPUTER PARTS WITH FRESH PAINT IN the same OVEN you cook food in! ESPECIALLY A GAS OVEN! Your oven will never be the same, plus, the plastic may melt. As long as you don't mess with it, the finish can be the same. As long as you put on at least 4 coats, you can color sand and buff it to a mirror gloss.

David

I've been oven baking parts in ovens for many years. Never had a serious problem. The paint itself is not flamable/combustable, the propellant is. I've actually tried to start fresh spraypaint on fire and all it does is bubble and char. As far as the plastic melting, that is the reason you turn the oven off before putting the parts in. The ambient temp in the warmed oven will not melt, much less warp plastic. The problem is from the local heat produced by the coil. (or burner) The first time I warped a piece, I learned to turn the oven off before putting plastic in there. The paint odor will linger inside the oven for a day or two though.

look around for some one you know moving out of an appartment, drop a cloth and screw the fumes, let the next guy deal with it...

a pot and some warm watter will help the paint, (paint in pot, run warm watter on the can... dry off b4 painting

or paint outside and rush in and deal with fumes and moving wet paint, or space heater and a garage.... good luck

Originally posted by grjr
That's what I do too, but I also warm up the spray can before I go outside

Yeah Yeah

Fire Fire

;)

Ive actually painted in my house for years without any real peanutbutter taste good.... What where we talking about again?

No seriously I wouldnt reccomend painting it in your basement without a good mask.

Originally posted by Ruckus
Ive actually painted in my house for years without any real peanutbutter taste good.... What where we talking about again?

haha that's funny. you've been sigged.

on that topic, i'm not allowed to spraypaint in the house:( parents wouldn't like it much.

Back