Spotify Monthly Active User Base Reaches 100 Million

HardOCP News

[H] News
Spotify has hit the 100 million active monthly users mark. While expanding its user base is good news, a decade in the business with losses every year isn't very encouraging. I guess now the only thing the company has to do is turn a profit.

Swedish music streaming service Spotify said on Monday its user base had grown to 100 million, up from 75 million previously, as it pushed into new markets and despite competition from the likes of Apple Music. Spotify has the music streaming industry's biggest paid subscriber base, with 30 million users paying to listen, but the vast majority still tune in for free with commercial breaks.

Do love my Spotify account, but they are almost giving it away at £9.99 a month (guess it's $9.99 in the US) and with their new family deal at £14.99 which enables up to 6 accounts. I understand the appeal of getting the family involved, but if they give it away (that's ad free) they'll never make money.

It's a saturated market, but having over 100m users and making a loss means that someone at the top needs to get their shit together!

UGH! I don't know how to feel about this... I am a a Starbucks employee and if you didn't know this we ALL get Spottily for free... weather we want it or not. That's 200.000+ employees to my knowledge.

Back