Spotify In Talks to Acquire SoundCloud?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this story is to be believed, all those rumors about SoundCloud shopping around for buyers might actually be true. According to Variety's sources, Spotify is in advanced talks to buy SoundCloud.

Acquiring SoundCloud could help Spotify to bolster its own catalog and offer emerging artists an easier way onto the service. It would also help Spotify make the case for ad-supported streaming. Record labels have long pushed Spotify to move toward a purely paid model, similar to the way Apple Music operates. Apple’s service does offer listeners a three-month free trial, but cuts them off after that if they don’t open their wallets.

Just how much more valuable would SoundCloud if they allowed their embedded players to have a volume control?

What is this SoundCloud thing again?

Name sounds familiar, but other than that I'm drawing a blank

I love soundcloud and would hate for them to go out of business. I mainly use them through hypemachine. They just recently put up a thing about linking your Spotify account so I'm inclined to believe this. I hope spotify doesn't ruin soundcloud's format as I don't care for Spotify much.

I thought Spotify hasn't had a profitable year, ever. And now they are going to buy a company.

Whatever. I love Spotify. I hope they know what they are doing.

I actually find more good music on soundcloud than on spotify's strict mainstream selection.

They should really work on their library. That's the reason I cancelled my subscription. Plus the fact that the spotify client started playing an ad right at the startup of my computer at an obnoxiously loud volume. That triggered me so much that I went and immediately cancelled my subscription and uninstalled the client.

mp3.com, iuma.org(?) and now soundcloud.com. Is there anything else out there that's not mainstream, marketing selected, commercial packed garbage? I'm running out of sources for new music and it's not because I'm getting old. Although I'm getting old too...

I enjoy both services. As long as neither suffers, I'm okay with it.

Back