spotify giving away free Google Home Mini

They are also giving them away for free if you have a project fi active account.

They are also giving them away for free if you have a project fi active account.
Fantastic. Now I only need one more!
Although, the more the merrier. At this rate I might just put one in the fucking shed for the hell of it. We aren't quite at 1 per room yet...

I love using these things for house-wide surround sound. If google's already gonna hear every damn thing I do at home, might as well have fun with it!

I love having one in the bathroom. I yell at it while showering. It's loud enough that it can play music, tell me the news, or even an audiobook, over the shower.

I don't see the point in shitting up the thread saying you're not giving Google your data, we all know what these things are already.
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png

:ROFLMAO:

Everyone talking about wiretaps and such. Doesn't owning a smartphone mean you're already tapped? This just lets you listen to music a little better. This ones going in my bathroom. Now I can jam when I poop.
Not all smartphones tap.

I have to be honest, I didn’t think I’d like this as much as I do. Mainly use it to set timers and alarms, but it can also control my Roku TCL tv and I like the Google Routines for getting news and commute times in the morning, or fireplace sounds when I’m going to sleep.

I ordered this around 4 weeks ago through Spotify and Google think I got a black one. I have it sitting in my pile of XMAS gifts and I'm not sure who to give it to.

I don't use these smart speakers because they don't respond to hey NSA.

Neither do I. I was going to use it when I study in my home biology lab, and then disconnect it when I am done. Its convenient to say "Hey Google, what is the structure of dehydrohirsutic acid". When I am done with my session, I simply yank the power cord out of the wall.

Amazon is my life backup of choice. Hopefully in the event of my demise, it'll be a sound recording on Youtube

I know I said I would buy them off people, I may still be interested in a few more but I've hit such a saturation of google nest minis that my fiance started to complain.
"You don't need them stereo in multiple rooms!"

So, at the moment I won't take any more off your hands, sorry! (I'll likely need more come summer wheb I'm gonna try to make em reach out to the whole backyard. )

Damn these things are fun when you get a whole bunch though. I

Received mine the other day, got it up and running. It's got a switch to turn off the microphone, does anyone know if that actually works? I've been keeping it unplugged most of the time.

I was going to get one and give it to someone else, but it requires that I link my google and spotify accounts (which then gives google permission to edit my library on top of slurping all the extra habit data). No thanks.

If you give it away without activating it, it shouldn't require any of that.

To use it yourself, yeah, it needs to be activated. I have a few that were free gifts from spotify then gifted to me and they arrived in the same package and were activated the same as the rest I've acquired.

I linked my spam Google account to Spotify to score one. I just keep the mic off on the now two I have.

Neither do I. I was going to use it when I study in my home biology lab, and then disconnect it when I am done. Its convenient to say "Hey Google, what is the structure of dehydrohirsutic acid". When I am done with my session, I simply yank the power cord out of the wall.

See, I never found talking to these devices to be convenient.

I'd much rather type it myself than rely on some algorithm trying to interpret my speech. It saves me having to correct mistakes.

This is why I have found it so easy to resist it. I can't picture any benefit it provides to my life. Only problems.

Now my smartphone. It is truly problematic, because I know there are real privacy concerns in it, but it does so many things that are very difficult to go without in modern society. I try to be careful with it though.

Just because I may be exposed to risk in one area, doesn't mean I need to expose myself to ALL risk. It's all about Risk/Benefit Analysis.

After all, there is a reason both Google and Amazon are trying to shove these things down our throats, and it's not because they like giving free shit away.

Last edited:
I, however, find them to be extremely convenient.
So convenient that I now have one in every single room in my house.
Why bother trying to type something or grab my phone or a remote when I can just say something into the aether and it will either bark back an answer, show what I want on the nearest TV screen (which I also have in almost every room attached to a google device) or, more commonly, just to play music or an audiobook throughout the whole house.
I love being able to cast music or an audiobook into whatever room i'm in.

I haven't had an issue with it misunderstanding a command in years. Unless the command I'm asking is really peculiar.

Last edited:

I'd much rather type it myself than rely on some algorithm trying to interpret my speech. It saves me having to correct mistakes.

This is why I have found it so easy to resist it. I can't picture any benefit it provides to my life. Only problems.

Now my smartphone. It is truly problematic, because I know there are real privacy concerns in it, but it does so many things that are very difficult to go without in modern society. I try to be careful with it though.

Just because I may be exposed to risk in one area, doesn't mean I need to expose myself to ALL risk. It's all about Risk/Benefit Analysis.

After all, there is a reason both Google and Amazon are trying to shove these things down our throats, and it's not because they like giving free shit away.

Literally tonight my son asked for Dominos pizza from the backseat of the car. My wife grabs her phone and goes to Facebook and a damn Dominos ad was there.

I might honestly go back to a flip phone after my Note 9 dies.

Literally tonight my son asked for Dominos pizza from the backseat of the car. My wife grabs her phone and goes to Facebook and a damn Dominos ad was there.

8xqfih8d47h31.jpg

I love having one in the bathroom. I yell at it while showering. It's loud enough that it can play music, tell me the news, or even an audiobook, over the shower.

I've been doing the same thing. I cast from my phone to it in the morning during my shower. It's still shitty sound, but sound quality doesn't matter listening to youtubers talk about tech, and it's louder than my phone. I never even turn on the mic.

For people using both amazon echo and Google home does using them both cause any conflicts for home automation?

And now the Google bot that access this forum knows you like Dominos too.

Back