Spot the Fake...Person

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This is an interesting read over at the Scientific American. It discusses how AI and neural networks are poised to be used to create fake photographs of just about everything in existence and NVIDIA is at the heart of it. These GANs networks are taking hundreds of thousands of pictures and using those to create "pictures" of people that do not exist. While all of this sounds nefarious, it could go a long ways in creating video game and film content. Sounds more like AI "art" than anything else.

A newer approach involves so-called generative adversarial networks, or GANs, which consist of a “generator” network that creates images and a “discriminator” network that evaluates their authenticity.

It remains to be seen whether online mischief makers—already producing fake viral content—will use AI-generated images or videos for nefarious purposes. At a time when people increasingly question the veracity of what they see online, this technology could sow even greater uncertainty.

Creativity/art is one of the last things that has yet to be automated...

NVIDIA: Hold my beer.

I don't get it. What's the problem here?
Realistic photoshops made by algorithms are bad or something?

Reactions: M76
like this
I wonder how long it's going to take Hollywood to figure out that their $20 million / movie actors are just about to be digitized out of a job.

oh, hollywood has been waiting on this for some time.

one interesting angle it is going to allow for is for movies to highly localized. You shoot the movie on green/blue screen to get the movements down. then you can overlay actors/actresses of a more localized nature. White people in europe. Blacks in africa, indians in india..etc

I wonder how long it's going to take Hollywood to figure out that their $20 million / movie actors are just about to be digitized out of a job.

I recall a completely synthetic Pop Singer in recent years. Probably in an article linked here. Near as my feeble, aging brain can recall; In Japan (of course) and it was female with an online presence and "live" shows where "she" appeared as a hologram. I don't know what the whole status is currently as I am at work AND too lazy to search for it this morning.

Sadly, I think the first actors to be rendered (hee hee) obsolete are those without fame and fortune that make a comfortable living doing something they love.
"Famous" actors are (IMHO) way overpaid (as are professional athletes).

I recall a completely synthetic Pop Singer in recent years. Probably in an article linked here. Near as my feeble, aging brain can recall; In Japan (of course) and it was female with an online presence and "live" shows where "she" appeared as a hologram. I don't know what the whole status is currently as I am at work AND too lazy to search for it this morning.

Sadly, I think the first actors to be rendered (hee hee) obsolete are those without fame and fortune that make a comfortable living doing something they love.
"Famous" actors are (IMHO) way overpaid (as are professional athletes).

Vocaloids have been around for about 10 years, and Vocaloid live concerts are a big thing within the community. You are probably thinking of Hatsune Miku (the most famous and widely used one), Megurine Luka and IA are two other very popular ones. Personally prefer IA myself, she feels more mature than Miku… don't read too much into that.

Tech will reach a point where a whole movie will be made from AI. Just a matter of when.

oh, hollywood has been waiting on this for some time.

one interesting angle it is going to allow for is for movies to highly localized. You shoot the movie on green/blue screen to get the movements down. then you can overlay actors/actresses of a more localized nature. White people in europe. Blacks in africa, indians in india..etc
The real question is how long before self important actors realize it?

So here come Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Katherine Hepburn only this time they don't get paid.

Don't be deluded, they will use this technology to frame unwanted people. (Off to the chair you go! *BUZZ*)

Finally! Now we dont need those whiny actor/actresses that will try to push their cause of the day on everyone...

I don't get it. What's the problem here?
Realistic photoshops made by algorithms are bad or something?
There are implications that go beyond that, but in general I think this is amazing. I mean you can create your own version of a movie by changing the actors or re-writing the script. I'd love that.

The problem is that this could render photographic evidence as such inadmissible in courts.

There are implications that go beyond that, but in general I think this is amazing. I mean you can create your own version of a movie by changing the actors or re-writing the script. I'd love that.

The problem is that this could render photographic evidence as such inadmissible in courts.
Ok? I have no problem with this either way. It's inevitable that this technology already exists to doctor photos and videos, the difference is that it's becoming a lot easier to create. This was probably a hugely manual process, now it's mostly automated.

It's funny that it's used for pr0n first, but i guess that's also inevitable as people would pay money for that kinda stuff.

I think the idea that you can create a video of someone doing anything you want them to do with more and more ease is the issue.
holographic tech is getting pretty crazy, I am sure in my lifetime they will be able to project an image of me banging a bear in the middle of the street if they wanted to.

I am just some schmuck, but it sure sounds like a way to get rid of enemies for the people who have the money to do so. So what's the implication of that? We no longer even believe video evidence? so what's evidence then? that's heading to something scary.

Back