Sports games... where are they?

thelead

2[H]4U
I finally got fully into pc gaming, got me a 7970 and a 360 controller and ready to drop console gaming completely but there is a giant void in the sports category. Luckily my favorite sport is taken care of (NBA2K13) but damn, no baseball, no football, no golf... are pc gamers just not into sports games? Or do pc gamers buy consoles just for their sports fix?

Q! :)

Yeah it seems that it's been console territory for quite a while now.

I hardly bought every series every year but did pick up a copy of madden every 3-4 years (on 360). Same with ncaa football and mlb 2k... then again, mlb 2k sucked.

Fighting games on PC, where the hell are they?

All there is on PC is Street Fighter Ultimately dull edition and more OhCrapMoarDRMcom stuff. :(

Which is annoying as several console fighting games seem to run on PC engines. :D

NBA 2k13 is nice, but VC's don't exist on PC. I still have a lot of fun with it (it's my 3rd most played game on steam... weird).

There's that football manager thing......

But yea, there is definitely a big void in Sports games on PC.

Hm, people interested in football are covered by FIFA and PES games. EA used to produce NBA and hockey games too.

It's not like you need 10 games covering the same sport. Sport games aim for realism, there's no room for plenty of creativity besides controls imho,

It's literally the only reason I buy consoles. Oh and for some exclusives.

Fighting games on PC, where the hell are they?

All there is on PC is Street Fighter Ultimately dull edition and more OhCrapMoarDRMcom stuff. :(

Which is annoying as several console fighting games seem to run on PC engines. :D

Isn't that Mortal Kombat Ultimate Edition thing coming out on PC?

Plus there were some Guilty Gear games...but yeah, not many, probably because it pretty much requires you to use a controller and that's just an extra expense the user has to have to enjoy the game.

^ you're right about the controller thing but it's such a lame excuse for developers. Anyone spending more than $200 for a video card is not going to have a problem purchasing a controller. Throw in the fact that the 360 controller is fully supported by windows (and basically the default windows controller) and it makes me a sad panda that we don't see many sports games.

^ you're right about the controller thing but it's such a lame excuse for developers. Anyone spending more than $200 for a video card is not going to have a problem purchasing a controller. Throw in the fact that the 360 controller is fully supported by windows (and basically the default windows controller) and it makes me a sad panda that we don't see many sports games.

you mean as long as they put it in the system requirements right? now how many times have you seen this... I'm guessing exactly zero.

they just halfass their way through both and call it a day, then people whine and they have to pretend like they care. so they tend to avoid marketing thumbstick only games, just because they don't want to make it a system requirement, or do the work to balance both controls.

If you enjoy playing sports, you should get up off your fat ass and do exactly that.

Yep, I should just buy myself a Formula 1 car and drive it around :p

These sports video games emulate a sporting event at it's highest level. Say for example, if you were playing in a soccer team in your high school, I doubt anyone there can curl a ball like those million dollar professionals can. There's just no way any ordinary folks can emulate these level of skills and competition in real life whether or not you are playing them, that's where video games come in.

Yep, I should just buy myself a Formula 1 car and drive it around :p

These sports video games emulate a sporting event at it's highest level. Say for example, if you were playing in a soccer team in your high school, I doubt anyone there can curl a ball like those million dollar professionals can. There's just no way any ordinary folks can emulate these level of skills and competition in real life whether or not you are playing them, that's where video games come in.

Ignore him, he's got some kind of grudge against common sense.

I've played soccer since I could walk, and I couldn't even begin to compete with professionals, and I consider myself a decent player. Games aren't a substitute for real life, they're a (multimedia) addition.

If you enjoy playing sports, you should get up off your fat ass and do exactly that.

Basketball is by far my favorite sport. I play at the local gym. I watch games on TV. NBA 2k13 is my 3rd most played Steam game... Unfortunately in real life, I can't do a 360 windmill dunk or play as Kobe Bryant against Michael Jordan.

Basketball is by far my favorite sport. I play at the local gym. I watch games on TV. NBA 2k13 is my 3rd most played Steam game... Unfortunately in real life, I can't do a 360 windmill dunk or play as Kobe Bryant against Michael Jordan.

You can't do a windmill dunk, and you're NOT Kobe Bryant?? I'm embarrassed to be seen on the same forum as you. :eek:

Off-topic: Final Fantasy 14? Yes/No? I only ask because you were very active for GW2.

You can't do a windmill dunk, and you're NOT Kobe Bryant?? I'm embarrassed to be seen on the same forum as you. :eek:

Off-topic: Final Fantasy 14? Yes/No? I only ask because you were very active for GW2.
Hah, I don't think I'm likely going to pick up another MMO again. I think it's a genre that's too time-prohibitive for me at this point in my life. I think most of us have come to the realization that $$ is no longer the gaming bottleneck, it's time (thanks, Steam).

Hah, I don't think I'm likely going to pick up another MMO again. I think it's a genre that's too time-prohibitive for me at this point in my life. I think most of us have come to the realization that $$ is no longer the gaming bottleneck, it's time (thanks, Steam).

But surely you can at least give the Open Beta (in few weeks) a shot! Can't hurt. Who knows, maybe you will MAKE time (the real solution, ;)).

I own a console for sports games and exclusives. Same reason I preordered the PS4. NBA2k series is great on the PC, especially if you play franchise. Also, the mods are fantastic. For baseball, I still play MVP05 (with current mods). MVP has stood the test of time pretty well. My favorite sports game on the PC is F1 though. Game looks and plays great!

I'd be completely okay if companies like EA would just give me a crappy port with modding tools. I'd pay for any sports game they offered. I don't even like hockey, but I'd love to get an NHL port with mods.

didn't they get in trouble for bribing some leagues to corner the market or something at some point?

Back