Spoony's Ultima 8 review.

You guys really need to watch more of his stuff. I've seen each of his game and movies reviews, even his AMV Hell videos and Let's Plays at least twice over.

I was actually referring to the video of The Lords of Magick where he was wondering why he was attacking the one guy out of no where and used a clip from SWAT 4 :p.

Oh right. I'm trying to think of some good Phantasmagoria 2 quotes, but nothing is coming to me.

Wow i know that i played Ultima 8 but i barely remembered it with nostalgic eyes, now i see that it was just because i was so little, and that was one of the first games i ever finished, that i blocked out all the sucktastic parts...

Wow i know that i played Ultima 8 but i barely remembered it with nostalgic eyes, now i see that it was just because i was so little, and that was one of the first games i ever finished, that i blocked out all the sucktastic parts...

Many people view there personal favorite classic "games" through rose tinted glasses. I would say at least half the games we played throughout our youth were actually garbage. Take a look through the Angry Video Game Nerd archive , I've played many of those games and while James doesn't hate them all there are many that I have/had fond memories of yet now I realize were actually total shit.

That show is nerd black face.

Blackface might be alittle harsh but it's our definitely tyler perry.

My wife used to make me watch the show until I went out of my way to point out every inconsistency with both the science and culture references, theres about 50 incorrect references or science related comments per episode. Even when it isn't bullshit it's just kind of annoyingly obvious they don't know what they're talking. I pissed her off but I'm off the hook now.

Last edited:
Hate to continue with the big bang theory digression, but I do chuckle whenever someone acts condescending towards that show, considering Neil deGrasse Tyson said it was his favorite show awhile ago on reddit. That's not to imply that most of its scientific references are accurate (I don't watch it so I don't know) or that pointing out the inaccuracies is necessarily bad, but I see a lot of people suggest that they are too smart for it, and that makes me chuckle.

In an attempt to remain slightly relevant, I never played Ultima 8 but I did play Ultima 9 way back, and then again more recently. I remember being friggen amazed by the visuals originally, particularly the fog which ended locking up our comp and ending our journey. The gameplay itself was actually pretty decent and the open world was done pretty well I thought, even by today's standards. The combat was bleh but honestly, not much worse than Oblivion. I could be wrong but I think a remake with updated graphics/combat would have a chance at not being horrible these days.

8 and 9 blew goats. Major goats. I still fire 3 or 4 up for giggles every few years.

And boy did the ride the whole 7 thing for a while, but going back and playing it in EXULT was a better experience.

Hate to continue with the big bang theory digression, but I do chuckle whenever someone acts condescending towards that show, considering Neil deGrasse Tyson said it was his favorite show awhile ago on reddit. That's not to imply that most of its scientific references are accurate (I don't watch it so I don't know) or that pointing out the inaccuracies is necessarily bad, but I see a lot of people suggest that they are too smart for it, and that makes me chuckle.

It's not that I'm complaining of it being beneath me it's literally just kind of insulting in that most of the jokes are slants and japes at things I like. It does come off a bit of the nerd equivalent to Jim crow. "Oh look at the silly nerds being nerdy. I don't what Flash is but he sure looks stupid lol". The show can be funny at times, but some of it just grates on my nerves.

Ok turning back. I never played anything passed Ultima 4 but I'm curious as to why they made this game so completely different. It doesn't appear to have anything in the way of RPG elements.

EA my friend.

EA didn't acquire Origin until 1992, which was around the time of Ultima 7. As far as Ultima 4, who knows. According to The Official Book of Ultima, Lord British just wanted a game that was different than every RPG on the market.

EA didn't acquire Origin until 1992, which was around the time of Ultima 7. As far as Ultima 4, who knows. According to The Official Book of Ultima, Lord British just wanted a game that was different than every RPG on the market.

I was referring to why U8 and 9 are so bad. Ultima 4 was still an rpg, they just changed character development entirely with the 8 virtues system.

Back