Splitting a text document

todlerix

2[H]4U
I have a 862mb text file (*.TXT) that i'm trying to get into, however my computer locks up when trying to open it.

i've tried notepad, msoft word 03 and word pad. They all fail - I've given each of the programs a very long time to open them with no success.

Anyone have an idea on getting the text file split into multiple? I really only need the last 100mbytes of the file.

Thanks in advanced.

I'm trying to open them on the machine in my sig, its a fairly powerful machine I think its just software limitations.

When i open the file in wordpad it grows to 1.8gbs of memory used in the task manager. Not sure if any of this is helpful - thanks.

UltraEdit. Grab the trial version and get the job done. I've opened log files that were 11GB in size before (seriously) and UltraEdit basically works on 'em without requiring the entire thing to be "loaded" before work can be done. It'll have you finished in no time...

Wouldn't that depend on the formatting of the document? I mean, for plain text, I'm sure splitting it like that'll work. Being that an actual Word document isn't plain text, Word may throw a fit if a document is split like that, then opened.

I've opened very large files in vim before. I know there's a windows port of vim, though I don't know how good it is. It might be worth a shot.

I use Crimson Edit which has formating/color coding for programming languages too.

Back