Split system? Win7 and NVME idea?

Satamax

Limp Gawd
Hi everybody. Well, may be ten years i haven't been here.

At the time of old athlon Mp multiprocessor platform.

I, by sheer luck, managed to install my system partly on the IDE, something like boot, boot path. And the rest onto the scsi drive.

I'm playing with cheap and old gear now.

A tyan 2915 moded to 2915-E Two opteron 2384, 16 gig of memory. A amd radeon something in 4GB, that i bought with the board.

And a samsung NVME M2 with PCIe adapter.

I have tried the clover solution, to no avail. Well, i can't get to the boot maintenance manager onto closing of clover, to get to install win 7 (yes i know, well, i happen to have an official copy of 7 pro, and for a computer like this, it can wait for W10)

Tried uefi duet with refind, that does nothing either.

Tried Xubuntu. But that doesn't function either. I manage to install the xubuntu onto the nvme, but it is not recognized onto reboot.

Bios is Phoenix 4.0 revision 6.1.

Anybody thinks i could stuff part of windows onto the sata ssd. Enough to have a sort of pre boot nvme drivers. And kernel address or something like this. And have the bulk, kernel, cab files etc onto the nvme?

Thanks guys, for reading my old fart's babling.

Last edited:
Well I know the cheap way around it would be to boot the host off a USB stick into esxi and then provision the NVMe as vm storage for your OS's. Assuming the CPUs support virtualization.

But trying to pre-boot the OS would be a cool hack. Maybe GRUB on the boot drive that passes to the NVMe? You may be dead before you start, if the board doesn't support booting from NVMe and you cant find a way around it. Hell tag for results.

Thanks a lot Schizrade.

I have tried this method

It's been two weeks, on and off. I can't get past clover.

Back