Splinter cell black crush

Dome

2[H]4U
I bought blacklist and um enjoying it so far except that in many shadowy areas my blacks are crushed flat.

Even on the darkness settings where it talks about left middle and right boxes, only the right, presumably most light, box with text is visible at the highest setting.

I'm going to go home and maybe try uninstalling the hd res pack, see if that helps.

Any other ideas? Tv brightness is cranked way up

No gamma or contrast settings in game, I'll tweak them again on my tv. Never had a problem with games being so dark before...

No gamma or contrast settings in game, I'll tweak them again on my tv. Never had a problem with games being so dark before...

I meant contrast settings on your TV. I don't know what kind of TV you have, but mine has at least half a dozen settings related to color reproduction, including brightness and contrast.

its a panasonic plasma. i'll fiddle with contrast and gamma when i get home, thanks.

its a panasonic plasma. i'll fiddle with contrast and gamma when i get home, thanks.

I haven't ran into a game with serious gamma issues since about 15 years ago so its your TV. Take some time to properly calibrate your settings. I highly recommend a calibration Blu Ray that sell for around $25 bucks on Amazon.

This should eliminate any future problems.

I remember when 300 came out on Blu Ray and HD-DVD , lots of people complaining about the extra sharp master thinking it was faulty when it was in fact "intended" and people simply needed to properly calibrate their sets. So many people run in "burn" mode and don't even realize they are missing out on all the detail that production on all content works so hard to balance.

Some helpful, free calibration stuff:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
-You can also search for "AVS HD 709" on youtube.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

If your gamma and brightness settings are set reasonably, then the only other thing that comes to mind is a mismatch in your RGB color output range (aka HDMI black levels or Video vs PC Output Level) setting on either your source or HDTV. The two options are generally, while subject to variations in naming, RGB "limited/standard" 16-235 and RGB "full/extended range" 0-255. If there's a mismatch here and/or your settings aren't adjusted correctly for a given setting, you'll have the black crush you're describing. A mismatch in the opposite direction will wash out the picture.

Regardless of the names, choose either 16-235 or 0-255 and just make sure you have your source and TV input setup the same way. My "quickfix" recommendation is 16-235. If you've calibrated your setup while using mismatched RGB range settings, you'll want to readjust brightness and contrast using the above links. You'll probably find that you won't need to crank your brightness anywhere near as much, and will likely end up with a brightness number somewhat close to your TV's default for a given picture mode. YMMV. I'm writing this a bit early in the morning and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so feel free to ask for clarifications.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=639871
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/rgbfullrange.html

Last edited:
How is the game, besides the shadow issue? I'm planning on picking it up as soon as I finish Saint's Row 4.

How is the game, besides the shadow issue? I'm planning on picking it up as soon as I finish Saint's Row 4.

The game is really good gamepad integration is great. I haven't seen any shadow issues but I'm playing on a sharp aquos full grid LED 52" 120hz that has a 4ms response time.

Last edited:
my friend has an lcd and said he had to turn up the darkness. i normally play my games fairly dark and had my settings pretty low. this is about the darkest game i've played on my 360 so i think that was it is all.

the game is fun. it plays similar to conviction but much cleaner and sharper in terms of the engine. i like it a lot.

Back