Spilled coffee on laptop keyboard

Swede88

Lurker
Title says it all. Keys still work, but some of them don't respond as sensitive as they used to . I've already popped them off and cleaned them as much as possible.

Is there anything else I can do? This happened two days ago and it seems dry, but I'm wondering if someone has had a similar experience and it eventually cleared up for them.

strange thing is that the edges of the keys are not responsive; you have to tap dead center of the key to get it to work.

Most laptop keyboards can be easily removed. Usually, the upper part of the laptop can pop off. From there, you can remove the keyboard. This isn't true for all of them, but it's worth a try. A replacement kb aren't too expensive. Most range around $50.

Sometimes, you can soak it in water (just the kb), then allow it to completely dry out before putting it back in the laptop. Then again, it may fry your laptop if you didnt dry it out competely.

Soaking in rubbing alcohol may also work, but try and get high-purity alcohol to make sure you don't get any residue left after it dries. Soaking is your best bet to get it working right again. If it doesn't help, then you'll either have to get a new keyboard or live with it.

Check out eBay and look for a replacement. Usually $20-$30 shipped and removes all the headaches.

you should be able to find a replacement on eBay if the lag is really bothering you that much. As most of the others have said, pull that puppy out of your lappy and try soaking it, I remember that there once was an electronics wash that you could buy to "wash" you components, more than likely it is like Zero82z said and it is 99% high purity alcohol. Hope that helps, you can probably also take it to the local computer shop, not the GeekSquad or Firedog but an actual shop, and have them look at it for you, there may be a slight bit of residue from the coffee in the actual keys past the membrane.

Back