Speedfan temp 3 overheating - what is it?

Foz2001

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

Gigabyte mobo, speedfan is reporting temp 3 overheating bad. It's idle at 75ish, and goes up to 100 under load. I held a fan over both the NB and SB and didn't see any difference in temperature.

Anybody know what this temp 3 is? I installed everest and it wouldnt show any of the sensors.

Thanks,

Foz

take a screenshot of your speedfan and post it.. ill be able to tell you better what it is..

temps.jpg

I'd delete it... it's reporting some weird sensor and really shouldn't be concerning

the system is shutting down though when its under load after about 10 minutes. I should note that this mobo has onboard graphics, however neither of the 2 heatsinks on the mobo are hot to the touch at all.

You need Gigabyte support to tell you what that temp is coming from.

I would suspect the northbridge or southbridge chip. I think some motherboards also have temp reporting on the voltage regulators. It actually worries me a bit that neither of the heatsinks are actually hot. With speedfan's default settings on my asus a8n-e motherboard the temps are the CPU, the Nforce4 north/southbridge, some system temp I haven't been able to identify, and the core temperature. Open the side of the case, point a large high speed fan into it, like one of those turbo room fans or better yet a hairdryer that has a cold air setting. Check the vrm's near the cpu, the ram, and the north/southbridge heatsinks. It's almost certainly one of those, the hairdryer will work best because of the very high airflow and ability to target components.

what processor do you have on that board? since core temps 14C id guess its a brisbane core..

if its shutting off after 10 minutes id take a good guess that temp 3 is your cpu motherboard sensor.. which is usually 5-10C higher.. which would make sense since a brisbane core can do 72C before it shuts off.. i would check and make sure its not the processor by going into your bios health monitor and see what temps the board is showing in there.. if you dont see a temp that says 79C then you no its a dead sensor.. if you do.. then id really check the cpu or northbridge heatsink.. one of them might be loose..

my 780G even using onboard video never went over 42C.. so if it is the chipset then the heatsink might be loose...

I replaced the CPU and am still having the problem, so I really dont think thats the issue. I held a fan over each of the heatsinks and couldn't get any of the temps to drop. Would the psu display in speedfan?

I used speedfan and had one core at -164c.started using coretemp 0.99.5 beta and believe these are more accurate temps.Everest and some othe programs lead to temp comparisons that were ln-line with coretemp,that and just grabbing the heat sink to see if it was warm/hot.:D

note:The beta version recgonized all three cores where others did not

Last edited:
79C sounds too hot for the NB ... especially if it isn't getting hot to the touch. Are you sure it isn't your 8800GT? Speedfan can be VERY vague.

Its not the system in my sig. Its a gigabyte mobo with onboard video. 5000+ X2.

I contacted gigabyte to find out what sensors are on the board and what temp that could be. Hopefully they get back to me.

Its not the system in my sig. Its a gigabyte mobo with onboard video. 5000+ X2.

I contacted gigabyte to find out what sensors are on the board and what temp that could be. Hopefully they get back to me.

did you try doing what i said and check the bios and try to match it up to what speedfan is saying?

since you are using a brisbane core.. the core temps wrong.. brisbane die sensors are screwed up.. so you can just ignore that temp.. most like temp 2 is your cpu temp.. temp 1 is probably your system temp..

thats a screenshot of my speedfan.. hopefully it can give you some idea's or help figure out what sensors are what..

also if you want i can do a screen shot of my other system that is an asus board that has a fake sensor and show what it looks like..

Last edited:
can you post a pic like in sirmonkeys post? you may just have a faulty temp probe thats reading high and shutting off your computer without there actually being a problem. if thats the case then you can delete it and your computer will stop shutting down. however only do this if youre sure youve checked EVERYTHING it could be first. :)

The temps in the bios were in the 30's.....

so all the temps in the bios were in the 30's.. so the only logical thing i can thing it is, is the cpu overheating or a faulty temp probe.. since temp 3 on all my boards asus, biostar, ECS have been the cpu temps..

can you post a pic like in sirmonkeys post? you may just have a faulty temp probe thats reading high and shutting off your computer without there actually being a problem. if thats the case then you can delete it and your computer will stop shutting down. however only do this if youre sure youve checked EVERYTHING it could be first. :)

I dont actually have the computer here, so that makes it really hard. So sounds like it could be a faulty sensor.... It's definetely not the chip considering I replaced it.

Back