Speed Up Your Chrome Browser and Save Bandwidth

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google released a beta extension this week called Data Saver that saves bandwidth and improves connectivity by routing traffic through the cloud. Data Saver works with Chrome 41 and up.

Data Saver for Chrome reduces bandwidth usage by compressing the pages you visit. Google servers act as traffic intermediaries, intercepting and optimizing websites before they reach your browser.

Yes i absolutely want Google to have every bit of my data, especially my bank account web pages etc...

but if they really want to improve the internet , they can come up with a protocol that web servers can use with browsers to do this compression (an addon for the web server software)

Only really useful if you have ultra-slow internet or very low data caps. It makes a lot more sense on phones but I'm sure there is someone somewhere you can only get 56K modem service who would really love this.

Yes i absolutely want Google to have every bit of my data, especially my bank account web pages etc...

but if they really want to improve the internet , they can come up with a protocol that web servers can use with browsers to do this compression (an addon for the web server software)

Most web pages and browsers already support compression without losing quality. This is just going to steal your data and compress the data even farther and lose quite a bit of quality.

Would help to read the article:

"Data Saver won’t help in all instances, though. To pacify security concerns, compression automatically disables on pages delivered with SSL (HTTPS) encryption. Incognito traffic is exempted, too."

I know that all of our search data is closely watched anyway, but I just don't trust this mess. It may be slower, but i'm leaving things alone and if I want real incognito then it's the TOR browser for me....

Mobile carriers have been doing this for years... Hell chrome android already has the option to route through google on http if you wish.

All the more reason to ban HTTP as an acceptable standard on the web. Should be for Dev and testing only with HTTPS being standard for production. Been saying that for years, no one seems to give a fuck though.

Google did. IIRC point to point compression from server to user has been added to HTTP2 specifications. This is an intermediary step to bring a bit of compression speed up to HTTP1 now.

As much as I hate giving more data to google - damned if they dont put out a good product...

Back