Speed up Windows XP- reg tweak

Hey found this @ Link
I tried it and noticed a difference. :D The Start sub menues open faster and programs seam to start slightly faster. Anyway try at your own risk... :rolleyes:

Subject: Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, er, faster

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn
EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.

snakeye

Besides the start menus loading faster, any bench to compare before and after the tweak??

oldmx

No bench I just did it. It would be easy to enable / disable to bech. just edit the value to 0 to turn it off. The internet is snappier also. Like I said things just start/ load faster.

I gotta admit i'm very entusiast with these registry tweaks, me loves them, but i dont want to risk anything in my system or get data corruption or something.

Anyone else tried the tweak?? google shows nothing about it

oldmx

Further down the same page...

July 2047 Asustek announced today that it was moving production from its current factories in Mongolia and Zimbabwe to new facilities recently completed on Mars. Accompanied by the layoff of 2500 current workers, the company announced bonuses for its CEO and upper management, and the hiring of new Martian production staff. The company stated it could no longer afford the salary and benefit demands of Terrans.

You will not get data corruption from this. If anything it will just not have any effect, if it is truly not a functional edit. I can see a difference. Maybe someone who knows how to bench the prefetch could help on this.
There's NO way I'm gonna commute to Mars for a job :p

Meh. I did the tweak and don't really notice a difference. I think it caches more of the web page before displaying, but nothing real significant.

Upon what objective basis do you make that statement? First guess would be it's all subjective and conjecture. But if you have anything more concrete please let me know, it's just most of the time when I hear about some new Windows tweak it turns out to be pure placebo effect, so I'm extremely skeptical by default until I see something that at least tries to be scientific about it.

Hey, I'd like to try it...but first I have a question: Would anyone like to post a little step-by-step for someone who doesn't know how to do it? I, uh, have this friend...blah blah, you get it! :p

I tried it. It more than split my startup times and my browsers (firefox at least. ie always opened fast) seem to load faster as well. This makes sense as I enabled supercaching, restarted the computer, used it for half a day in which firefox was open and closed reapeatedly (and kept open for much of the time between restarts of firefox) and internet explorer opened periodically to make sure the webpage I am designing looks proper in ie as well. It took about 30 seconds for my computer to finish booting compared to over a minute before this. (it was closer to 90 seconds before)

Remember, for any registry tweak to work, you require a reboot before it comes into effect. To find out if it works, use your computer for a while, and then reboot again taking note of how fast it boots. (this seems to be where the main performance gain comes from).

C'mon, will someone please post instructions on how to do this? That would be VERY bitchin'!

Go to run, type REGEDIT

then open the folders till you get to \prefetcher

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

See?

then do this:

EnableSuperfetch = 1

All done.

Go to:

Start -> Run -> Type in regedit -> Navigate through the explorer to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher -> Right click in the right-most box, click DWORD Value -> In that box type EnableSuperfetch -> Double-click the EnableSuperfetch DWORD you just added, in the following box, enter 1 as the value data and do not change anything else -> Click Ok -> Restart.

Also not, on some machines, you may have to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PrefetchParameters instead.

There. Any further questions just PM me.

Always back up the regestry B4 you edit it if your not sure about what your doing.
As for concrete evidence- for what? That it works, I have none , just in my case I can notice an improvement, all be it small but it's there. If your refering to data corruption- there is no way adding a regestry value like this can cause Windows to harm data. This is a PREFETCH edit.

My previous post was on a system with 512 ram and a fast hard drive.

I've timed a laptop with only 256 ram and a slow 40gb 4200rpm hard drive. Startup times before the tweak were 5:00 and after the tweak 3:45. (this is to usable state, not completely loaded, but nearly there as it is not usable until it is almost completely loaded) The biggest gains were the time until the welcome screen was reached which split from 1:30 to 0:45. After the first few taskbar programs had loaded, pagefile swapping prevented any furthur major increases in startup speed.

Hey TranquilRed!
Read the Damn post
If your refering to data corruption- there is no way adding a regestry value like this can cause Windows to harm data. This is a PREFETCH edit.
No shit Certian edits can cause loss- not corruption, but not this one.

C'mon fellas, there's no reason to get hostile in here...it'll simply get the thread locked or could drive to worse, so it's good to keep the bitching at a minimum! ;)

This is pretty interesting. Before I read this thread I thought it was going to be some stupid false tweak, but I really hvae no idea about this tweak.

Common sense tells me that this tweak is just another myth. If it did actually speed up Windows, MS would have it in there and enabled. I will actually try it though.

Here's my test:
I let my wife use the rig after the tweak and asked her if she thought anything was faster. She said she thought the internet was loading pages faster.
So ther you have it sicentific proof that it works! :D

FreshPrinceOfBellAir said:
Here's my test:
I let my wife use the rig after the tweak and asked her if she thought anything was faster. She said she thought the internet was loading pages faster.

Unfortuntly women are never right! :p

OK, I've been using it since yesterday, and I do notice that my right click menus pop up slightly faster. NO huge deal, but I do notice it. Also,a bout web pages: the only difference I notice is when I go to ign.com. The main page loads noticably faster. I used to watch all the pictures and ads pop up one at a time, but now they pretty much come into view all at once. Again, this tweak does nothing incredible, but I guess if you want a little extra convenience, then you should do it.

Linky
By default, Windows caches file data that is read from disks and written to disks. This implies that read operations read file data from an area in system memory known as the system file cache, rather than from the physical disk. Correspondingly, write operations write file data to the system file cache rather than to the disk, and this type of cache is referred to as a write-back cache. Caching is managed per file object.

At best this tweak *could* improve file caching and making read/write faster.

I'm suspicious of the source as well.

Finally testing, testing, testing. Has anyone done any?

Or you could just enter a 0 instead of a 1 and turn it off completely.

I've done this on all my systems and have noticed much improved boot times.

nismo_r34 said:
Or you could just enter a 0 instead of a 1 and turn it off completely.

I've done this on all my systems and have noticed much improved boot times.

At the cost of slow file access after bootup. Are you having boot races, or are you interested in performance once the OS is up and running?

Heh, interesting.

I was just made aware, that the registry path is *incorrect*.

It should be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher\PrefetchParameters

So....

Who all added the incorrect key?

Phoenix86 said:
Heh, interesting.

I was just made aware, that the registry path is *incorrect*.

It should be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher\PrefetchParameters

So....

Who all added the incorrect key?
it will either be "\Prefetcher" or "\PrefetchParamaters" some are different. Mine for example is simply "\PrefetchParameters"

lesman said:
it will either be "\Prefetcher" or "\PrefetchParamaters" some are different. Mine for example is simply "\PrefetchParameters"
The key shouldn't have a different hive structure with the same OS, so, show me.

Why would it be different?

bob said:
Go to run, type REGEDIT

then open the folders till you get to \prefetcher

See?

then do this:

EnableSuperfetch = 1

All done.
Does changing the value in "EnablePrefetcher" from 3 to 1 do anything?

feverfive said:
Does changing the value in "EnablePrefetcher" from 3 to 1 do anything?

Yes.

1 - prefetch boot processes only.
2 - prefetch applications only
3 - prefetch both

Setting it to 3 is best for obvious reasons. That is why it is set to 3 by default ;)

Here's my test:
If you can impress your wife with a registry tweak, it's gold. I'm a believer.

KoolDrew said:
Yes.

1 - prefetch boot processes only.
2 - prefetch applications only
3 - prefetch both

Setting it to 3 is best for obvious reasons. That is why it is set to 3 by default ;)
Sure, but only if you think being able to boot is important!!:D :D Thanks for the confirmation.

You must add the new key "EnableSuperfetch" and then set the value to 1 to have it work correctly. Editing the existing entry "Enable Prefetcher" will not add this feature.
Anyway the "test" I did with my wife should be all the proof you need.

You must add the new key "EnableSuperfetch" and then set the value to 1 to have it work correctly. Editing the existing entry "Enable Prefetcher" will not add this feature.
Anyway the "test" I did with my wife should be all the proof you need.
Those keys are great but where is "EnableWifeFetchBeer"???????

Well it cant hurt. I just added the Dword string in the registry where it is suppose to be. I know that it wont hurt anything.

I dont notice a difference, but im sure that just having it there is no big deal.

I
Those keys are great but where is "EnableWifeFetchBeer"???????

You add the key to:
HKEY_LOCAL_HOME\WIFE\CurrentControlSet\Control\BUDWISERManager\Memory Management\BEERfetcher\EnableWifeFetchBeer
and set the value to 69 :eek:

USMC2Hard4U said:
Well it cant hurt. I just added the Dword string in the registry where it is suppose to be. I know that it wont hurt anything.

I dont notice a difference, but im sure that just having it there is no big deal.

If the value is valid...it may do something. If it's not...it's so much gibberish and the OS will probably ignore it.

So far, I don't see anything to convince me it accomplishes anything.

I

You add the key to:
HKEY_LOCAL_HOME\WIFE\CurrentControlSet\Control\BUDWISERManager\Memory Management\BEERfetcher\EnableWifeFetchBeer

Hahah...

I

You add the key to:

Is there a similar tweak for girlfriends, or is Microsoft not tolerant of those living in sin?

Back