Speed Question

Sorcerxo

Weaksauce
I just aquired 3MB cable internet through Charter and I have a question.

I'm getting 500+ kbps when I download things. Is this really good speeds? To me this is not supposed to happen... as in OMGITSSOFASTIMGONNACRAPMYPANTS! I guess I'm too used to dial-up's 3 kbps.

Ya, thats good. You probably have a 4 Mega*bit connection, while Windows measures downloads in bytes. Since a byte is 8 bits, your 500KiloByte download is actually 500*8 = 4Megabit, which is what comcast is at right now.
Its pretty nice, huh. I have been hooked on cable ever since I moved out of the dorms like 4 years ago.
BTW: Mb = megabit MB = megabyte, in case you were unaware.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but does that mean in networking terms every thing is Megabit/second, so if my cable company says 3-4Mb per second that means 4000/8 tht means I would be getting 500Kbps(kilobytes)? and 100Mbps Cat 5e is really 1000/8 or 125 Mega bytes per second???? help

Thats what your cat cables bandwidth and the highest speed its capable of transmitting, its not your true speed, your true speed it what your cable company provides/ or ISP. Theoritically cable is only capable of 30 Mbps DownStream and 10.24 Upstream where as fiber is capable of unlimited speed to 70,000 ft but ISPs like verizon cap them at 5,15, and 30 Mbps.

Fiber uses a reflective glass with endless reflections unlike copper which is capable of about 8 reflections.

Back