Speed Fan says AUX temp is 125C

pebbles

n00b
My ASUS P5WDG2-WS Professional motherboard has an E6600 CPU installed and it is not overclocked. This MB has a heatsink/heatpipe on the northbridge chipset. I have super-glued a 40x40x25 Sunon maglev fan (running at 5600 RPM) to the heatsink blowing air into the heatsink (before I did this, heatsink burned finger within seconds).

SpeedFan 4.32 displays the AUX temperature if 125C, system temp is 37C, Core 0 is 32C and Core1 is 32C. According to Speed Fan website, version 4.31 added full support for Winbond W83627DHG chip that is installed on this MB.

I don’t think 125C is correct because I can press my finger on the heatsink for a minute or more without any discomfort. If I open the case, temp decreases to 119C.

How do I get an accurate temperature reading?

what temps is 'AUX' supposed to read? ambient? case temp? it isnt your CPU temp, thats core0/1... so putting your finger on the heatsink is pointless.

a temp that high is a bug unless somethings on fire. its reading the cores correctly though
use intels thermal annalysis tool (TAT) and/or coreTemp

what temps is 'AUX' supposed to read? ambient? case temp? it isnt your CPU temp, thats core0/1... so putting your finger on the heatsink is pointless.

I'm assuming AUX = Northbridge

are you basing that asumption on anything or just picked something at random and said it was so? at any rate, its most likely bugged so dont pay attention to it

As ghost was alluding too, its not hooked up to anything, on your mother board its knocking on the door but nobody is home. Go into the options and uncheck it to prevent it from being shown.

To double check this load up the Asus monitoring tool included with the board and see if it shows more than you are seeing in speedfan.

If you are looking for a NB (MCH) temp I dont beleive it is montiored by the winbond chip on that chipset (975), Those chips perform quite a few functions, keyboard and mouse I/O floppy drive etc. etc.
http://www.winbond-usa.com/mambo/content/view/143/273/
LPC Interface SuperIO supporting Intel* PECI* & SST* interfaces, Legacy I/O, Dual-current mode temp sensing, 3 Temp In, 9 Vin, 5 Fan In, SMARTFAN III, 4 Fan Out, Alert Out, 8 VID I/O, Pb-free

It supports three temp inputs but they have to be hooked up to something. To get it from the horses mouth so to speak shoot a query to ASUS technical support and ask them what devices are having their temperature monitored by the winbond chip. Be funny if you proved us all wrong.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I've re-cconfigured SpeedFan so the AUX temp is not displayed. Unfortunately, ASUS doesn't have a Vista 64bit compatible PC Probe app yet... but I will submit an inquiry to ASUS Technical Support.

Np, most guys here too young to figure out (never having even seen a Flintstones Cartoon) you are probally female, if they had there would have been a stampeed of help. ;)

You're a female? Actually I know Pebbles... but you just don't make the connection. I mean TOO many guys are playing female characters in games these days and pretending they're girls in chat rooms, the world is a disturbing place. Hehe but a girl that overclocks is cool. :D

I had an issue with almost the same thing and I never did figure out if the NB sensor was being read or not. I would get a normal reading until I adjusted the fan speed and then as soon as I clicked the arrow the change speed it would shoot to the 120's.

So I'm kinda wondering if it a software glitch and that it is trying to read the NB sensor. The other strange thing is that I took off the factory heat sink and got rid of their thermal crap and used AS5 and after that the AUX temp in speed fan is a few degrees lower.

That could be a coincidence because I always changed a few other things in my case but anyway please let us know what Asus tells you.

Back