Speed comparison of OpenVPN and SSH tunneling

amrogers3

Gawd
Morning everyone,

I am trying to figure out what is speed difference is between SSH and OpenVPN for connecting to home network from a remote location, i.e. hotel.

Only functionality I need is secure browsing of internet. I like to have 10+ tabs open (sockets) at a time usually doing research - if that makes a difference.

EDIT: my up is 18 Mb and down is 2.7 Mb

Why not just try both and see what performs better with your setups. Neither is overly difficult to deploy for a single user.

Why not just try both and see what performs better with your setups. Neither is overly difficult to deploy for a single user.

Also might depend on if he uses compression on the VPN

A lot of things will effect speed.

Do take note that the distance and route your traffic will take from point A to point B is out of your control and is results may vary.

How the hell is your up 18 when your down is 27??

Lol, yep. That should be 18 down and 2.7 up.

Im running a mac with leopard 10.5. I looked into deploying OpenVPN on mac and DDWRT and it looks like a bear to install and configure.

If the speed between OpenVPN and an SSH tunnel is not very significant, I'll run with SSH.

I browse through an SSH tunnel more or less on a daily basis, with SSH connecting on port 443 (not proxied at the location :) ) I have a 5meg upload, and FTP'ing through the SSH tunnel maxes it out just fine.

How exactly is OpenVPN a bear on ddwrt - there's a step by step tutorial, and on the Mac you use Tunnelblick with the generated ovpn files. What is a "bear" about that?

The only concept that can take a bit to grasp with OpenVPN are the key pairs, but it is not overly difficult and there are a ton of step by step guides if you google.

Back