Spectrum Quietly Tries a la Carte TV Streaming

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
It appears that Spectrum is offering a la carte TV streaming at a very reasonable price to a select group of customers to try to bring them back into the fold. The pricing appears to be pretty good for the broadcast networks and your choice of 10 other channels from a list of around 65. If this something that interests you then give your local Spectrum center a call and see if you are eligible. Maybe this is the beginning of the cable companies finally seeing the light.

For now, Spectrum TV Choice is little more than a lure, most likely for internet subscribers who gave up cable TV long ago, or for ones who are about to cut the cord. I’m not even sure if Spectrum could offer this package to everyone, given that networks have previously put subscriber caps on skinny bundles and shut down attempts to make sports networks like ESPN optional.

I actually got one of there calls this last week. Seems the cost will be $21 after a free week, plus $10 off the first month. I only have basic internet thru them and I turned them down.

It kinda sucks. Last year they has spectrum stream for the same price, it was 25+ channels+ locals. Oh and its $30 a month after 1-2 years.

Spectrum_Stream.png

It's amazing how discussion about a la carte channel packages, bundles from networks, etc. always seem to revolve around ESPN that people don't actually want. The reason for that in the past at least was that ESPN was one of the more expensive channels that the cable/sat providers were paying for, but the content producers really need to get their heads out of their asses and adjust individual channel pricing accordingly. No one wants/needs 800 channels of garbage, and the price of ESPN shouldn't be making up for the crap no one wants to watch.

It's amazing how discussion about a la carte channel packages, bundles from networks, etc. always seem to revolve around ESPN that people don't actually want. The reason for that in the past at least was that ESPN was one of the more expensive channels that the cable/sat providers were paying for, but the content producers really need to get their heads out of their asses and adjust individual channel pricing accordingly. No one wants/needs 800 channels of garbage, and the price of ESPN shouldn't be making up for the crap no one wants to watch.
I honestly don't know why ESPN is so expensive. The replay the same content over and over all day. They don't get any of the major fight or games.

I honestly don't know why ESPN is so expensive. The replay the same content over and over all day. They don't get any of the major fight or games.
Probably a carryover from not having to be concerned with changing their business model since the 90s.

It's been pretty much unwatchable for the past decade. I guess that part of the cost is due to the fact that they own just about all the broadcast rights for college bowl games.

They signed expensive multi year contracts with the different leagues. If too many people drop ESPN, they will be losing money.

Last edited:
Espn used to be a decent channel, before they started commenting on political views and "movements yo". I've stopped watching it once this happened.

For now, Spectrum TV Choice is little more than a lure, most likely for internet subscribers who gave up cable TV long ago, or for ones who are about to cut the cord. I’m not even sure if Spectrum could offer this package to everyone, given that networks have previously put subscriber caps on skinny bundles and shut down attempts to make sports networks like ESPN optional.

I actually don't care about streaming since it doesn't allow me to record shows. Almost everything we watch is delayed using my HTPC as a DVR.
It has a cable card tuner, so it acts like 4 separate cable boxes. :D
Once something is recorded, I can stream it to any PC in the house.

However, I'd love to have this option (and this much lower price) using my own DRV, instead of paying for the 100+ channels of garbage we never watch. :mad:

I actually don't care about streaming since it doesn't allow me to record shows. Almost everything we watch is delayed using my HTPC as a DVR.
It has a cable card tuner, so it acts like 4 separate cable boxes. :D
Once something is recorded, I can stream it to any PC in the house.

However, I'd love to have this option (and this much lower price) using my own DRV, instead of paying for the 100+ channels of garbage we never watch. :mad:

With the streaming services you still get the on demand. So you can just watch it any time you want later. I barely use my dvr any more because of this. The spectrum app works really well on Roku or Xbox one.

With the streaming services you still get the on demand. So you can just watch it any time you want later. I barely use my dvr any more because of this. The spectrum app works really well on Roku or Xbox one.

That's how streaming should work, with everything available for a month or two after it airs, so there is no need for a DVR. Guess I just expect the cable companies to mess it up as they usual do.

That's how streaming should work, with everything available for a month or two after it airs, so there is no need for a DVR. Guess I just expect the cable companies to mess it up as they usual do.

The last time I had Time Warner cable TV, it was actually somewhat impressive in terms of selection and availability; streaming quality was serviceable, but certainly not Netflix/Amazon-grade.

I have Spectrum and am considering the offer. I know my kids would like a few of the channels offered. The other part I like - no cable box. I can add their app to my Roku and stream it. I hate changing inputs on my tv.
Anyone know if the streams are HD? I had cable free a few years ago and couldn't believe they were still streaming shitty compressed low res. My OTA antenna gets a nice picture (1080i).

There's nothing great about this offer IMO. I have Spectrum and the regular price of their cable package is $50 a month, and I get all the channels. The thing with Spectrum is that their rental fees are very very high. They make their money on the $18 charge for the right to have a DVR, then $15 a month for each DVR box - oh you don't want a DVR, ok that's $13 a month per box instead. Cable modem costs $20 a month, etc.

They are actually a very reasonably priced cable and internet provider if you're willing to bring your own equipment (cable modem, HD homerun, HTPC that can DVR, etc.)

be interested to know how they worked out that deal. The issue isn't the cable companies but the content providers saying that you have to pay for and offer these x number of stations also.

It kinda sucks. Last year they has spectrum stream for the same price, it was 25+ channels+ locals. Oh and its $30 a month after 1-2 years.

Spectrum_Stream.png
Thats almost the exact same lineup as YouTube TV from first glance, and I think they are what, 35 a month? And it's going up next month too, just lookd into YouTube TV again and they said to order before the price raise on the 18th of March

Back