Spectre Variant 4 Disclosed, Mitigations to Result in Another Performance Hit

Pretty sure he means sales since launch, not over all market. I can buy the 50% of new CPU's sold being AMD, but it's prolly a fair bit less. Love mine though, not so much my 3930k that was latency locking so bad the system timed out and hard reset from these patches, forced upgrade yo.
Yes launch cause over 10 years of Intel dominance isn't going to change anytime soon. Give it another 10 years.

Pretty sure he means sales since launch, not over all market. I can buy the 50% of new CPU's sold being AMD, but it's prolly a fair bit less. Love mine though, not so much my 3930k that was latency locking so bad the system timed out and hard reset from these patches, forced upgrade yo.
Those figures are for recent sales. In Q1 2018, it was estimated that AMD had 12% of the desktop market, 8% of the notebook market and 1% of the server market.

I think the latest and best performing Intel CPUs without speculative execution are those old Atom ones with in-order execution, the Pineview ones, D5xx. Or if looking at ARM, the best you can do is ARMv8 A53/55 type stuff. The ARM stuff is ok on an Android phone, but Windows would be screwed.

It's taken Intel until Coffee Lake to have a mainstream processor to adequately replace my X58 Xeon hex, and soon it'll have the same performance. Great, haha.

There is also the security through obscurity aspect as well in AMD's case much like Apple compared to Microsoft.

No, I don't think it's that simple. While there are speculative execution vulnerabilities in pretty much all chips that have used it, Intel actually made some very serious design errors in the past decade which completely broke their privilege control mechanisms. This is why the Meltdown patches can have a 15-30% performance impact in some workloads while AMD machines don't see much performance impact at all from the relevant Spectre fixes.

And 100% security risk. But hey who cares all your personal information is already all over the internet anyways right?! What's a bit more! :D
These speculative execution exploits don't work in a direct way. They can't just access any information on your computer willingly. As far as I understand it works as a memory leak would. They can get access to bits of information that is already in memory, and not guaranteed to contain anything of value. And it seems to me that any malware relying on this could be detected by behaviour analysis. If there ever will be any malware in the wild using these exploits.

While it is a serious issue in enterprise environment where they're handling critical information and any minor leak could be catastrophic, and also there is a will to create exploits directly tailored to a specific target.
But it still seems to me that getting attacked trough speculative execution as a nameless home user is just not realistic. Or at least not more likely than your house getting robbed and your documents physically stolen. You won't fill the house with concrete to mitigate that risk. And that's what it seems we're doing with our processors as home users now.

Those figures are for recent sales. In Q1 2018, it was estimated that AMD had 12% of the desktop market, 8% of the notebook market and 1% of the server market.

This literally doesn't tell me what I wanted to know, but cool I guess.

These speculative execution exploits don't work in a direct way. They can't just access any information on your computer willingly. As far as I understand it works as a memory leak would. They can get access to bits of information that is already in memory, and not guaranteed to contain anything of value. And it seems to me that any malware relying on this could be detected by behaviour analysis. If there ever will be any malware in the wild using these exploits.

While it is a serious issue in enterprise environment where they're handling critical information and any minor leak could be catastrophic, and also there is a will to create exploits directly tailored to a specific target.
But it still seems to me that getting attacked trough speculative execution as a nameless home user is just not realistic. Or at least not more likely than your house getting robbed and your documents physically stolen. You won't fill the house with concrete to mitigate that risk. And that's what it seems we're doing with our processors as home users now.
For now.

My first car? Dull looking white 1963 Plymouth Valiant convertible/blue interior with Slant 6 - only 170 cu. No power (101 hp sleeper) but ton of fun

yeah but not sure how much fun someone's gonna have w/ a 101 MHz 6950X... sleeper 4 sure

Back