Spectra's New LGA1151 Motherboard Takes Us Back to 1992 With PCI Slots

erek

[H]F Junkie
Intel H110 chipset ?? how's it support PCI and ISA? V3.0 coming with AGP also?

"The MS-98L9 V2.0 can support up to two displays. The VGA port handles resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz and the HDMI port can output resolutions up to 4096 x 2160 at 24Hz. The motherboard provides two Gigabit Ethernet ports. One is based on Intel's I219-LM controller while the other is based relies on the I211-AT controller.
In addition to the aforementioned interfaces, the motherboard's rear panel also holds two USB 2.0 ports, one PS/2 combo port, two COM ports, four USB 3.0 ports and three 3.5mm audio jacks.
Spectra doesn't list a price for the MS-98L9 V2.0. If you're interested in the motherboard, you'll have to request a quote directly from the company."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/spectras-new-lga1151-motherboard-1992-pci-slots

There are people would would drop 95% of the cost of an entirely new system in order to support a single archaic piece of hardware that has absolutely no redeeming qualities such as useful functionality that everyone stopped supporting.

Coincidentally those people are not my clients.

Also according to the first comment on that page such motherboards are not non-common.

I've had past clients tell me $15-$30 part cost them a couple hundred dollars in order to justify making an already pointlessly convoluted scenario beyond simply justifying abandonment. I'm sure there is some ratio like one in five (or likely one in 300) actually has a legitimate purpose though the rest are running off of either pointless nostalgia or don't understand economics, performance, risk, etc.

There is only one thing any sane person would do in such a scenario:

abandon-area-sign.jpg

I have lots of PCI cards but no ISAcards any more.last ISA card I owned was a US Robotics 14.4 modem. I want to say 96 or so.

There are people would would drop 95% of the cost of an entirely new system in order to support a single archaic piece of hardware that has absolutely no redeeming qualities such as useful functionality that everyone stopped supporting.

Coincidentally those people are not my clients.

Also according to the first comment on that page such motherboards are not non-common.

I've had past clients tell me $15-$30 part cost them a couple hundred dollars in order to justify making an already pointlessly convoluted scenario beyond simply justifying abandonment. I'm sure there is some ratio like one in five (or likely one in 300) actually has a legitimate purpose though the rest are running off of either pointless nostalgia or don't understand economics, performance, risk, etc.

There is only one thing any sane person would do in such a scenario:

View attachment 230060
I think it makes sense for people with proprietary PCI cards that connect to expensive equipment(think CNC machines, textile printers, etc.), at one point I made sure to get a board with PCI for a SCSI card that would have cost a few hundred to replace. That said I imagine the market for something like this is rather small.

Edit: The same goes for ISA though the market would be even smaller, I have no idea why anyone would want AGP.

Whats the point ? what PCI card will you connect that also have win10 drivers? or are these board meant for Linux use

I think it makes sense for people with proprietary PCI cards that connect to expensive equipment(think CNC machines, textile printers, etc.), at one point I made sure to get a board with PCI for a SCSI card that would have cost a few hundred to replace. That said I imagine the market for something like this is rather small.

Edit: The same goes for ISA though the market would be even smaller, I have no idea why anyone would want AGP.

This is your answer as to "What's the point"

Whats the point ? what PCI card will you connect that also have win10 drivers? or are these board meant for Linux use

There is a distinct (albeit small) market for proprietary hardware for specialized purposes. Some of these motherboards aren't necessarily connected to the internet, so Windows 10 isn't required. These aren't meant for a modern user to recycle his old Sound blaster X-fi in 2020.

I have a gravel scale that connects with token ring..... the scale would cost some 1/2 mill to replace its being run by a 486 that is still kicking.

~$20 will buy a USB-to-PCI adapter.

Quite a few pro audio cards are still working, that came in PCI format that could benefit from more modern CPU performance. PCI interfaces typically have lower latency, and "good enough" DAC/ADC compared to almost every USB interface out there today. If you're dealing with multi-channel audio, that is a lot of DAL CardDeluxe or LynxTwo you'll need in your system.

This is your answer as to "What's the point"

There is a distinct (albeit small) market for proprietary hardware for specialized purposes. Some of these motherboards aren't necessarily connected to the internet, so Windows 10 isn't required. These aren't meant for a modern user to recycle his old Sound blaster X-fi in 2020.
Quite a few pro audio cards are still working, that came in PCI format that could benefit from more modern CPU performance. PCI interfaces typically have lower latency, and "good enough" DAC/ADC compared to almost every USB interface out there today. If you're dealing with multi-channel audio, that is a lot of DAL CardDeluxe or LynxTwo you'll need in your system.

I was under the impression that you cannot install 6th gen and above on Win7 or less due to lack of CPU driver support
i`m aware there are some work around, just seems like excessive to produce something for such a small niche audience

I was under the impression that you cannot install 6th gen and above on Win7 or less due to lack of CPU driver support
i`m aware there are some work around, just seems like excessive to produce something for such a small niche audience

6th gen works with Windows 7 (which is why it probably stops at 1151 and not the newer 8th gen 1151v2 socket).

Compatibility of devices across all 3 buses must have been fun to work out.

I'd be truly interested to see the use cases (and I do not doubt many legit examples exist).

Just did a very quick google search... metric crap ton of new pci cards still on the market.

I'd be truly interested to see the use cases (and I do not doubt many legit examples exist).
well like someone else said there are a lot of really nice sound cards that are pci. I paid over $400 for SoundBlaster Audigy 4 Pro (in 2005?) which still works and i also have an assortment of PCI nic's that i kept around in case a surge knocked one of the on board one's out which has happened a few times over the years but now they're pretty much useless because i only have one pc that has PCI, and it only has one slot. (which i'm using for the sound card)

i mean it doesn't hurt to throw one on a board because when you think about it most people rarely ever fill up EVERY slot in their pc's but more than 1 or 2 is kind of dumb though these days. especially that prices are down now on pci-e nics.

I could easily see using something like this. There really is no modern replacement available for my X-Fi Elite Pro and I use all of the features.

~$20 will buy a USB-to-PCI adapter.
Things like that, and USB-to-Serial, are fine for a quick connection to configure something in a small amount of time.
For 24/7 use, especially production or industrial use, they are complete garbage, and native chipset/hardware is almost always a must in those categories.

Adapters like that are meant for convenience, not reliability, and certainly not 24/7 usage.

I would buy this motherboard if the ISA slot supports DMA. It would useful for getting old gear working on a new PC.

This is purely an artificial limitation imposed by shitty Microsoft in their war on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to get everyone over to Windows 10. Microsoft pushed an update over WU that checks for 7th gen and newer Intel CPUs, as well as any Ryzen CPU and locks you out of Windows Update if any such processor is detected. Additionally, Microsoft has forced vendors to a new driver model with one of the later builds of Windows 10 to force backwards incompatibility. They weren't getting enough people with their forced Win10 upgrades from the WU updates they made, so they resorted to shit like locking out hardware. At no other time in their history have they done this.

Thankfully, 3rd party patches have been made to disable the WU checks. I had to make use of this at my last job, as well as a community driver package because we got in some Dell AIOs that had 7th gen CPUs, but needed to run Windows 7. Intel had no Windows 7 driver package, but files in the Windows 10 driver package were compatible with Windows 7. The community driver pack stripped this out into a separate driver pack that worked with Windows 7. I've read about efforts to do the same with 8th and 9th gen CPUs, but I don't know how far they got.

Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows I ever use in a serious capacity, Linux is at the point now where it can basically run everything I need on my workstation. All of my servers have been on Linux for well over a decade, and the few things that don't run on Linux work fine in WINE or a VM.

People should really post some pics of their PCI cards that are oddball that are still useful that would really benefit from a modern system like this.

I am really interested to see what is out there that would justify the resources to develop this product.

Back