Specing a HTPC, nVidia 9400 or AMD 790GX?

Arkangyl

Gawd
I'm planning to setup my first HTPC shortly, main goals are:
- Blu-Ray / HD-DVD playback
- platform to watch TV shows online on my TV (nbc.com etc.)
- platform to watch digital media / audio on the home theater (well, in the living room :-P)
- *possibly* to record TV, with the networks own online content this is becoming less and less of an issue
- maybe some gaming, probably more emulation than anything new (got my desktop for that!)
- lowest possible power draw, small form factor (mATX is fine)
- HDMI video (audio over HDMI too if possible, otherwise optical)

I can't decide between going with Intel and a nVidia 9x00 based motherboard or AMD and a 790GX board though.

The reviews coming out seem to show 790GX as being pretty damn good, also AMD has some nice looking 45w dual-cores.

Intel System ($287):
e5200 ($72)
Asus nVidia 9400 mATX ($120)
LG Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drive ($115)

AMD System ($270):
X2 e5050 ($60)
Biostar TA790GX XE ($95)
LG BD/HD drive ($115)

Hoping to keep this under $300 if possible, if I get a TV tuner I'm thinking HDHomeRuin, but later on.

So, any thoughts / opinions about which system to go for?

thanks!

AMD 4850e/5050e + nVidia 8200/8300 is one of the best combos right now for cheap, low power, low heat. Asus makes both a 8200 and 8300 board, but unless you're hoping to play high resolution and AA etc games it won't make much difference... it's only the shader core clock speed that changes between them. Asus M3N78-VM and M3N78-EM.

The 8200/8300 is the AMD version of the Intel 9300/9400, they're the same chip, just slightly different speeds. ... the 9400 has a slightly higher core speed but same shader as 8300.

AMD 4850e/5050e + nVidia 8200/8300 is one of the best combos right now for cheap, low power, low heat. Asus makes both a 8200 and 8300 board, but unless you're hoping to play high resolution and AA etc games it won't make much difference... it's only the shader core clock speed that changes between them. Asus M3N78-VM and M3N78-EM.

The 8200/8300 is the AMD version of the Intel 9300/9400, they're the same chip, just slightly different speeds. ... the 9400 has a slightly higher core speed but same shader as 8300.

+1 on 4850e/5050e & Nvidia 8x00 series mobo. Low heat, low cost, low power! I am looking at both an Asus 8300 board and an EVGA 8200 board myself

hmm, thanks for the input so far.

anyone have any experience with the AMD 790GX chipset? I know it's pretty new but everything I'm seeing online in reviews seems to make it look very good, and very low-power.

My biggest lingering concerns are:
~ 24hz / 24 fps playback, I've heard the 8x00/9x00 chipsets are good for this, the 780G isn't, no word on the 790GX
~ Audio chipsets, I've been reading about the various HD standards and apparently the Realtek ALC889a supports a few features the 888 doesn't? Not sure if this is marketing BS or something to worry about

As far as Intel vs. AMD goes: I think I'm leaning AMD, their 45w dual-cores + lower price point and generally equivalent performance for what I want / need have won me over. (for the fanboys reading that, I run a i7 on my desktop, there's a time & place for everything!)

So, I guess it comes down to 8x00 vs. 790GX. Time to keep reading reviews and thanks for all the input thus far!

hmm, thanks for the input so far.

anyone have any experience with the AMD 790GX chipset? I know it's pretty new but everything I'm seeing online in reviews seems to make it look very good, and very low-power.

My biggest lingering concerns are:
~ 24hz / 24 fps playback, I've heard the 8x00/9x00 chipsets are good for this, the 780G isn't, no word on the 790GX
~ Audio chipsets, I've been reading about the various HD standards and apparently the Realtek ALC889a supports a few features the 888 doesn't? Not sure if this is marketing BS or something to worry about

As far as Intel vs. AMD goes: I think I'm leaning AMD, their 45w dual-cores + lower price point and generally equivalent performance for what I want / need have won me over. (for the fanboys reading that, I run a i7 on my desktop, there's a time & place for everything!)

So, I guess it comes down to 8x00 vs. 790GX. Time to keep reading reviews and thanks for all the input thus far!

The 8200 and 8300 chipsets support the latest audio decoding for blu ray playback...that made my choice quite easy :D

Go with the 8x00 mobos. The 790gx is basically the same thing as the 780g except they are ATX (except for one DFI board is mATX). The 8x00 boards support uncompressed audio over HDMI and I believe has better HD offloading.

How is that 5 channel built in amplifier working? Its an interesting idea and I wonder how it compares to a actual dedicated reciever?

He has a set of small 5.1 channel surround speakers that work beautifully. If you are trying to power full floor standing speakers, I would venture to say you are SOL.

4850e + AMD 8x00 board

7.1 LPCM over HDMI makes that a no brainer.

I have the intel setup you have in your original post and I am very pleased with it so far.

Back