Specifying specific static ip addresses based on network in windows 7

jerb

Limp Gawd
I'm hoping this is the right sub-forum for this question but I'm wondering about static IP addresses in windows 7 with multiple wireless networks, let me lay my scenario out for you guys:

I have a laptop with windows 7 on it, when I'm at home I want to set its IP to be 192.168.1.99 so that I always know the Ip for things like Webui's for foobar, winamp, QoS, and utorrent. however since I bring it to school regularly and I'm on the colleges wifi I need it to grab a dynamic IP address.... is this possible? does windows do this by default?

do you have dhcp at home? either a dhcp reservation or alternate config.

yeah, if you are wired into your home network, just set the network properties for that nic to whatever you want. its in the tcp/ip config. make sure you find out your dns servers from your isp....ipconfig /all at a cmd prompt.

then just grab an ip via wireless at school.

ain't not thing.

you could always also just turn off the static ip when you want to.

i've got my workstation and my ps3 at home on statics it makes it easier to remote in from work and also for playing games on the ps3 (port forwarding for both scenarios)

yeah, if you are wired into your home network, just set the network properties for that nic to whatever you want. its in the tcp/ip config. make sure you find out your dns servers from your isp....ipconfig /all at a cmd prompt.

then just grab an ip via wireless at school.

ain't not thing.

you could always also just turn off the static ip when you want to.

i've got my workstation and my ps3 at home on statics it makes it easier to remote in from work and also for playing games on the ps3 (port forwarding for both scenarios)

He said he uses wireless for both ("multiple wireless networks").

OP: Log in to your router and set up a DHCP reservation like those above me suggested. Easy peasy. This essentially means your router will dynamically give you out the same IP based on your computer's physical address.

what router?

linksys ones you have to set a time for it i recall, there is no indefinit statuc entries, but you may be able to flash it to DD-wrt or tomatoe which does allow Static IP assignments.

As the others said, this is exactly what DHCP reservations are for. Everything is still assigned automatically by the router, it just always assigns the same IP to your MAC address.

thanks for the responses, I did end up using a dhcp reservation and its been working fine. it was right on the home screen on my linksys wrt54n

Seeing as this is your laptop and you have all these application you need to access from web browser why not just use localhost or 127.0.0.1?

Seeing as this is your laptop and you have all these application you need to access from web browser why not just use localhost or 127.0.0.1?

Flawless victory.

This would make as much sense as anything.

Flawless victory.

This would make as much sense as anything.

Except that he never specified that he was accessing those things only from his laptop. If he is trying to get to his machine from other machines on his home LAN, those suggestions are obviously not going to work. Also, a poorly written program could possibly bind only to the 192.168.1.x address and not 127.0.0.1. Not likely, but I've seen dumber things.

Unless there's a problem with the app, I agree that it's probably best to use localhost/127.0.0.1 for local web interfaces and such, as it will always access the local machine regardless of what network it is or isn't on.

He also mentioned uTorrent, so he'll probably have some ports forwarded for BT (since most people seem to be deathly afraid of UPnP), which is one more issue greatly simplified by DHCP reservations.

Back