specifying a certain type of database entry to be handled by a different database ser

iansilv

Limp Gawd
I have an issue with server growth- as my clients use their software subscriptions, they will accumulate more and more closed files. For example, if they are adding 100 records a month, and the life of each record is 12 months, then there will always be a standing active record count of 1200, plus the records that have been closed.

So- i have two noob database questions:

1. will those closed records slow down my database as they pile up, even if they are not accessed?

2. If so, can I setup a separate database server that just handled them- so they do not bog down my main active database?

Thank you.

I have an issue with server growth- as my clients use their software subscriptions, they will accumulate more and more closed files. For example, if they are adding 100 records a month, and the life of each record is 12 months, then there will always be a standing active record count of 1200, plus the records that have been closed.

So- i have two noob database questions:

1. will those closed records slow down my database as they pile up, even if they are not accessed?

2. If so, can I setup a separate database server that just handled them- so they do not bog down my main active database?

Thank you.

1200 records is not even a drop in the bucket for a database server. I don't think you would have anything to worry about unless you start getting into the hundreds of thousands of records. And even then you'd probably address those issues by tuning your queries and indexes, not moving to another server.

ok good. I am not having any problems now, but in planning for the future, I want to maximize speed and accessibility to the open records. How should I plan for growth?

It wouldn't be hard to move 'closed files' to an archive database (which can easily be moved to a seperate server when as grow). As other have mentioned, that number of transactions isn't classed as high but that does depend on how many clients to have and how well the database scales, I would fill some dummy accounts with far more data than you believe you will accumulate in three years and see how the system performs.

Have you, or (more importantly) your customers noticed a degradation in performance?

Back