Specific diablo question: are there fun runs to grind?

Dome

2[H]4U
for those of you who've played through to hell or later, how is the grinding?

i played the beta, but was wondering do you do full quest playthroughs or the old school waypoint to boss loot finding?

also, how's the loot?

please stay on topic

for those of you who've played through to hell or later, how is the grinding?

I finished Act 1 in hell the other day and the grinding is a bit of a pain. The quest bosses are fairly easy, the elites/champions are by far the most difficult (Whoever thought of Invincible minions is evil). The developers were not lying that you will die a lot. Since I chose a melee class (Monk), I am in the midst of things and have to resort to using a skill that makes me invulnerable for 7 seconds just to get a few hits in on elites/champions, and then run around in a circle for the cooldown to end. Playing co-op with a ranged player helps a lot; Wizards and Demon Hunters make melee classes look gimpy.

I played the beta, but was wondering do you do full quest playthroughs or the old school waypoint to boss loot finding?

There is no way to just skip ahead to the boss. Even if you previously completed the quest and got the last waypoint before the boss, you will have to start at the waypoint for the beginning of the quest that you chose in menu.

The developers of Diablo 3 didn't want the game to be a boss grind/raid like system that is in place for WoW. This way you could get a legendary item off a common mob, champion or a destructible object rather than have to do boss runs for hours.

how's the loot?

From all the things I have killed I have yet to find a legendary/set item (I have not stacked more than %35 magic; had to prioritize being alive over rares/legendary items). My 3 friends who I consistently play with have not found anything either.

I do find some great rares (yellow) items that sell for a good amount of gold in the auction house; they usually drop off champions/elites.

Last edited:
Diablo games are designed for item grind, so there's nothing new there. It's much harder than Diablo 2 though and more dynamic if your goal is to farm the best stuff (Inferno). Their goal was to force you to kill elite packs rather than skipping to the Act boss and repeatedly killing it. They accomplish this with Nephalem Valor for level 60's (A stacking 15% mf/gf buff up to 5 stacks everytime you kill an elite/champion pack. Lasts 30 minutes and refreshes each time).

A typical run from Blizzard's perspective is to hunt down 5 or more elite / champion packs and then go the big Act Boss with a max stack of Valor. Elites / Champion packs themselves drop good loot as well.

There are a few. Asmodeus and Belial runs are pretty fun. There is no easy run on higher difficulties though. Hell and infero can be quite a pain getting through depending what character you choose. And when I say that, I mean melee characters get wasted in those difficulties. So for runs, you are much better off using a ranged character.

As far as items go, boss runs for me have dropped nothing special. I've found better items from regular enemies and unique enemies. Either way, the items in the game aren't that "exciting." Legendary items dont seem to have that uniqueness to them. You're better off looking for rares.

So silly question I know it helps with blues but are Legendary and rare items effected by how much MF you have? I wonder why Legendary and rare items are not bind on equip the market will be flooded with them and what would be the point of Legendary or rare.

Last edited:
I picked up my first two legendary items today. One, Arreat's Law, came off a weapon rack WITH a rare weapon as well (wtf) and then another, Boj Angles, was from a slain elite 5 minutes later. If you equip a Perfect Topaz or higher in your Helm you'll be giving yourself a nice increase in the chance of getting these types of items. I equipped my helm with a Radiant Topaz and I stick to the belief that it's all about the champion/elite mobs.

So silly question I know it helps with blues but are Legendary and rare items effected by how much MF you have? I wonder why Legendary and rare items are not bind on equip the market will be flooded with them and what would be the point of Legendary or rare.

I see that as a prob as well. Legendary items can also be crafted if you find the recipes for them. So someone could continuously keep crafting them and flood the market with them; that kinda takes away the uniqueness of them.

Back