Special I7 2600K sold for $900

IF they earned the money themselves then they are probably too smart to waste it on this
Now if they have rich mommy or daddy then hey I can see it happening.
. Seems those without can't tell why those with do things. Quite ironic... lol. It was explained many times already too!

So far less than 100 pieces of 2600Ks in the world that capable of operating at 5.7Ghz~5.9Ghz according to the largest overclocking database in the web....http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu-z/rankings?start=14&hardwareTypeId=processor_2277#interval=50

There are probably more considering thousand of a 2600K owners never try to overclock their chip more than 5.2Ghz

Each of 2600K chip has specific maximum Mhz. wall it can operate regardless of Vcore or cooling (ranging from 4800Mhz to 6000Mhz)

5900+Mhz able 2600K is as rare as an albino alligator, but it exist and expensive.

Last edited:
dumo look at you on that list hanging in 25th. You guys have got me pushed all the way down to 47th already, Looks like I need to get back to searching, lol.

5900+Mhz able 2600K is as rare as an albino alligator, but it exist and expensive.

Actually it was probably about $320 like all the other ones. Resold from dubious scalpers it's probably expensive.

Actually it was probably about $320 like all the other ones. Resold from dubious scalpers it's probably expensive.

ROFL, good luck finding one ;). OMG OMG Intel is scalping, they only cost $100-110 to make the physical chip, OMG SCALPER!!!! /sarcasm Get the point yet? It's been explained plenty. You sound like the first part of my message, except I don't think you're actually joking :p .

OMG dudes they are using freaking Liquid Nitrogen. This doesnt mean they are golden fuckin chips.

It just means they are running @ -346f.

Last time I checked I sure have a big ass 450 gallon vat of Liquid nitrogen on reserve to pump over my CPU 24/7 for the next 6 months.

God you people kill me. Not the ones that are down with common sense. The ones actually defending this absolute bullshit reason to pay 900 for a chip.

OMG dudes they are using freaking Liquid Nitrogen. This doesnt mean they are golden fuckin chips.

Last time I checked I sure have a big ass 450 gallon vat of Liquid nitrogen on reserve to pump over my CPU 24/7 for the next 6 months.

God you people kill me. Not the ones that are down with common sense. The ones actually defending this absolute bullshit reason to pay 900 for a chip.

Guess what: not all chips, even under LN2, can run 5900mhz. :rolleyes: You people kill us, trust me... :rolleyes:. These aren't meant for 24/7 use, they're for high-end benchers, but we already had established that and you ignored it so... another :rolleyes:!

Guess what: not all chips, even under LN2, can run 5900mhz. :rolleyes: You people kill us, trust me... :rolleyes:. These aren't meant for 24/7 use, they're for high-end benchers, but we already had established that and you ignored it so... another :rolleyes:!

No the only thing established is that some stupid teenager is going to blow his summer savings account and then realize oh shit..... my chip is only stable at 4.5 on Air but but .... damn that dude said it could do 5.9.

And secondly when a thread gets over 5 replies it just becomes garbage when it is all opinion based such as this crap.

Enjoy your $1000 dollar benchmark chip. Hope it gets you chicks dude.

Just keep the thread clean guys:D....Everyone is entitled to their opinion

Overclocking is a hobby like for example drag racing. My neighbor spent all his $$ to make sure his top alcohol dragster is the fastest one...some peep paid big bucks for Perazzi MX8 whereas a cheaper one will probably accomplished certain task with the same result:)

Same thing different hardware

Last edited:
There is probably only handful of people who know how to OC to get that cpu to do that speed.

The most I'd spend for a used 2600k would be $200.

(THE POINT OF A BINNED HIGHEND CHIP)
|
|
|
\/
(your head)

:)

This reminds me of the guy on storage wars who got a NES and because he heard of one selling on ebay for 13k he thought his might too. Turned out his NES that cost him thousands of dollars was worthless. In other words ebay is still as much of a scam community as craigslist. Always has been and probably always will be.

Market price for special cpu around the world @ Tweet...3D means 3D Marks bench stable:)

screenshot038o.jpg

There is probably only handful of people who know how to OC to get that cpu to do that speed

You dont get that with just LN2 etc.... they have oscilloscopes, multimeters, etc... they are using serious hardware just to get it that high. Then they hold it that high long enough to pass a bench. Make a name for themselves and the move on to the next thing.

Still not worth it. Unless you are wiling to invest in the supporting equipment and experience to make them run that high again.

It's like buying a Bugatti Veyron. Sure it can do 240mph. But short of a 7 mile abandoned runway, and yeah it took exactly 5 miles in Germany on a test track to get it to that speed, you can never reach those speeds due to highway laws etc....

Same thing with the processor except the processor doesn't get you hot ass women at the club driving slow like the Bugatti will.

Your money mates.

Do you fix your own car? No, you probably pay someone to do it.
Do you fix your own plumbing? No, you probably pay someone to do it.
Do you deliver your own packages across the country? No, you pay someone to do it.
Do you take care of your country? NO, YOU PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT.

I think most of you are missing the point. You're paying someone to bin a chip. He's not going to go through dozens of chips and put in hours of work on each, in order to sell a cherry example of a CPU for below retail cost... give me a break. There is a market for this stuff... it's obviously not you guys, or you would already understand "why" someone would pay big money for a CPU like this.
$900
-320 (for the chip)
-450 (6 hours of labor @$75hr)
$130 Profit

Do you fix your own car? No, you probably pay someone to do it.
Do you fix your own plumbing? No, you probably pay someone to do it.
Do you deliver your own packages across the country? No, you pay someone to do it.
Do you take care of your country? NO, YOU PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT.

I think most of you are missing the point. You're paying someone to bin a chip. He's not going to go through dozens of chips and put in hours of work on each, in order to sell a cherry example of a CPU for below retail cost... give me a break. There is a market for this stuff... it's obviously not you guys, or you would already understand "why" someone would pay big money for a CPU like this.
$900
-320 (for the chip)
-450 (6 hours of labor @$75hr)
$130 Profit

That is quite subjective to the what is perceived to be the value of somebody's time. Because I can hire the kid next door to bin processors for next to nothing. The real issue with this type of price gauging is the fact that these "chips" are most likely gone through at the distributor level or above where they are handling large amounts of tray chips. Then the guys in the back of the warehouse who are already making a living where they work could be setting these chips aside to buy personally and sell on eBay for an exorbitant amount of money.

I highly doubt anyone is trying to make a living from "binning" chips. They would go broke purchasing trays of processors to find that one processor. If the above scenario is what is happening that removes the chance that you or anyone else would get an early Christmas present by getting one of the lucky processors by chance.

That is quite subjective to the what is perceived to be the value of somebody's time. Because I can hire the kid next door to bin processors for next to nothing. The real issue with this type of price gauging is the fact that these "chips" are most likely gone through at the distributor level or above where they are handling large amounts of tray chips. Then the guys in the back of the warehouse who are already making a living where they work could be setting these chips aside to buy personally and sell on eBay for an exorbitant amount of money.

I highly doubt anyone is trying to make a living from "binning" chips. They would go broke purchasing trays of processors to find that one processor. If the above scenario is what is happening that removes the chance that you or anyone else would get an early Christmas present by getting one of the lucky processors by chance.

How would you go through retail CPU's without breaking the Intel seal?
I know many guys Andre Yang, Shamino, Hicookie, etc... that get the chance to bin chips at a manufacturer level purely for benchmark overclocking. There are also 3 guys on my team that have received 5.7 - 5.9ghz retail chips from Newegg. There is no rhyme or reason with SandyBridge. You provide quite the slippery slope scenario, that is not representative of the luck of the draw that finding a chip of this magnitude is.

You know who will pay money like this for a chip? The types of people that I just listed. backed by eVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. Because with a chip like this, they can have their products rule the roost. When marketing to enthusiast overclockers, you have to have a CPU to showcase your products, and they know that with SandyBridge it may be cheaper to pay for a chip like this, then to try and find their own.

Last edited:
if anyone thought about how much it would cost to bin say 50 chips to fine the ONE that does 5800+, it is SO worth it to buy a pre-binned one...and you dont have to mess with buying/selling 50 chips :p

Wouldn't buy anything like this off ebay... Whats to say these "screenshots" haven't been photoshopped? Pretty sure it would take me a few minutes to have a "6.7gh/z" 2700k. :p Not saying they aren't real (who would not photoshop the voltage way down) but it's not a trustworthy site for risky purchases.

Wow I wouldn't buy this even if i had the money to spare. Some suck a will certainly buy it!

if anyone thought about how much it would cost to bin say 50 chips to fine the ONE that does 5800+, it is SO worth it to buy a pre-binned one...and you dont have to mess with buying/selling 50 chips :p
Through 3 Micro Center stores in NY/NJ and Newegg/Mwave/local computer store about 90+ 2600Ks binned and got (2) 5800s, (5) 5700s, (17) 5600s and countless 4900s~5500s...no 5900+:(

Last edited:
Wouldn't buy anything like this off ebay... Whats to say these "screenshots" haven't been photoshopped? Pretty sure it would take me a few minutes to have a "6.7gh/z" 2700k. :p Not saying they aren't real (who would not photoshop the voltage way down) but it's not a trustworthy site for risky purchases.
Pretty much all 5.7Ghz+ SB owner around the world know each other or at least know the batch, serial # and maximum mhz of any 5700Mhz+ cpu on sale.

So far only (2) 5700s open sale @ $750 ea. (2) 5800s @ $900 and (1) 5900 @ 1100 euro and probably more high clocking SB sold through private transactions around the world

Last edited:
Who cares. You will never have enough nitrogen or co2 to run them that damn hard anyways.

Damn get out of the house and go to a bar or something.

Who cares. You will never have enough nitrogen or co2 to run them that damn hard anyways.

Just let it go:D Its probably not your cup of tea and thats fine. Overclocking is not an equal opportunity shxt:) JK..

For some, binning cpu is past time hobby, especially since AMD Athlon XP 1500+ released in 2001....same like collecting stamps:)

Just keep the thread clean please;)

Peeps can agree to disagree without flamin'

Edit.. another 2600K 5850Mhz, max. wall 4C/4T 3Ds stable sold for $825...private sale UK

Last edited:
How would you go through retail CPU's without breaking the Intel seal?
I know many guys Andre Yang, Shamino, Hicookie, etc... that get the chance to bin chips at a manufacturer level purely for benchmark overclocking. There are also 3 guys on my team that have received 5.7 - 5.9ghz retail chips from Newegg. There is no rhyme or reason with SandyBridge. You provide quite the slippery slope scenario, that is not representative of the luck of the draw that finding a chip of this magnitude is.

You know who will pay money like this for a chip? The types of people that I just listed. backed by eVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. Because with a chip like this, they can have their products rule the roost. When marketing to enthusiast overclockers, you have to have a CPU to showcase your products, and they know that with SandyBridge it may be cheaper to pay for a chip like this, then to try and find their own.

I think you missed the point I was making. The processors I am referring to are TRAY processors or OEM, not retail processors. Distributors buy processors in bulk trays as well as retail. Note that Intel sells both the retail and non-retail (referred to as a tray processor). Why anyone would go through retail boxes when they can easily test tray processors in bulk without disturbing packaging just makes no sense to me. It is much easier, faster and hurts nothing including the ability to sell a packaged processor for it's full price when binning bulk processors.

In your thought process you list a few people who this would benefit, certainly they are not buying there's on ebay for exorbitant amounts of money. Which is what this post implied, which is what I was addressing as ludicrous for people to go through processors to find the one and remove it from the channel for there own greed.

Honestly very few people care if the people you mention have one of these chips as is evident by the overwhelming amount of replies to this thread stating they would never pay for it. Also define the "manufacture level testing" by these folks? Are you implying that they are invited to Oregon to test in Intel labs? Or does Intel merely send them test samples? There is a large difference between the two.

Last edited:

^^ knows NOTHING about extreme overclocking :)

I'd rather waste my money on a 3960x which at 5GHZ would outperform that 2600k and wouldnt need extreme cooling to do it.

yeah at those voltages and cooling i bet just about any sandy bridge can hit or get near those speeds what a scam lol

Why are you talking? You used up almost $1000 for a CPU and Mobo that performs as well as a 2500K in gaming? (Since you don't seem to give a shit about extreme overclocking)

People just always think other peoples hobbies are shit while theirs are great. Look at people like KingPin (extreme overclockers) they make money by "wasting" chips.

What makes it so that the same exact processors perform differently even though they're part of the same silicon?

Looking at the batch number of the 5.8 Ghz, you can tell it came from the center of the wafer (assuming Intel continued the batch code that it had in place since i7 920s).

So, my question is, why does the silicon in the center of the wafer performs better than the silicons in the outer edge of the wafer, even though they're both identical in shape?

I mean, lets take two 2600K. One batch # ends in 06, the other ends in 91. Both of them have the option to run at 58x multi.

Why, then, is the 06 2600K is actually capable of 58x whereas the 91 2600K tops out around 49-50x (even though it has the option for 58x)? Does impure silicon perform differently than pure silicon at extreme speed?

A single circuit (with a width of 22nm in modern chips) will have a certain amount of impurities. These impurities introduce electronic resistance, which can reduce overall charge through waste (heat) or cause latency throughout the length of the circuit (which can cause the processor to loose sync and cause errors). Now, Modern CPU manufacturers account for these impurities by making sure that retail clock-speed will work 100% fine with the amount of resistance and latency per chip.

When Silicon ingots are formed, the crystallize from the inside-bottom toward the outside-top: Now, this is a stab in the dark, but my theory is that the silicon near the bottom end of the ingot is the most pure, and wafers cut from that end will have high relative yields, and the silicon in the center of the wafer is the most pure by comparison to the outer edge. This would account for the bin numbers showing up as center-wafer chips being more stable and with less resistance output less heat. If someone knows any better, please elaborate.

I'd rather waste my money on a 3960x which at 5GHZ would outperform that 2600k and wouldnt need extreme cooling to do it.

No it will not. The only way it would outperform is in highly threaded applications (read >8).

yeah at those voltages and cooling i bet just about any sandy bridge can hit or get near those speeds what a scam lol

No it cannot. Many have a multiplier wall. Binning chips is the only way to get a high multiplier chip. 53 and less =sell. 53 - 55 =test bclk ability, then sell. 56+ = keep an ream the crap out of it.
All SB chips have a cold bug at or around Dice temperatures, meaning they will not function below that point. So the LN2 is merely a way to easily regulate temperatures.

No it will not. The only way it would outperform is in highly threaded applications (read >8).

Multithreaded applications are about the only areas you actually need a lot of CPU power and in those areas the 3960x is faster without question with the additional cores and cache. And in gaming the 3960x is still going to perform as well or better than a slightly higher clocked Sandy Bridge as has been shown in nearly every review except the dumb ones that used severely GPU limited games with a single GPU to test CPU performance.

You can see here with Tri CFX the 3960x @ 5Ghz is faster in every game over the 2600k @ 5.2Ghz:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4...irex_hd_6970_performance_analysis/index5.html

You can see here with Tri CFX the 3960x @ 5Ghz is faster in every game over the 2600k @ 5.2Ghz:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4...irex_hd_6970_performance_analysis/index5.html

Maybe we're looking at different articles, because that shows 4 games (Metro 2033, AvP, Mafia II, Dirt 3) that it didn't make hardly a bit of difference and one benchmark Unigine Heaven in which the difference was within the margin of error. Not to mention the fact that it is benching hardware that was built for multi-GPU setups. The SB setup is gimped by the lack of dedicated PCIe lanes for anything more than 2 cards.

I've ran benchmarks on some of the best that the 2600K line has to offer @ 5.6-5.7, as well as a 3930K at 5.3. Other than WPrime, which is entirely dependent on core/thread count, and 3Dmark Vantage (same with regards to cores/thread) the 3930K is dominated in every way. The benefits of SB-E will begin to become more apparent with >3 GPU's, as the X79 platform has an architectural GPU bandwidth advantage.

Maybe we're looking at different articles, because that shows 4 games (Metro 2033, AvP, Mafia II, Dirt 3) that it didn't make hardly a bit of difference and one benchmark Unigine Heaven in which the difference was within the margin of error. Not to mention the fact that it is benching hardware that was built for multi-GPU setups. The SB setup is gimped by the lack of dedicated PCIe lanes for anything more than 2 cards.

No we are looking at the same articles but obviously your deductive reasoning skills are not picking up on what mine is. All of those games were heavily GPU limited so they're not going to show a huge difference in CPU performance no matter how high the CPU is overclocked. Even with that GPU limitation however Far Cry 2 showed how the 3960x clocked 200Mhz slower yielded 27 fps higher minimum fps than the 2600k at 2560x1600.

And the fact that X79 is better for multi-GPU setups is the whole point in why the 3960x is a better processor than some $900 2600k overclocked to 5.6-5.7Ghz at crazy high voltages if your wanting the very best gaming performance money can buy. Anyone that is going to be spending that much on a CPU is dang well going to be running multi card graphics for gaming or else they're a moron and need to have their right to buy expensive hardware revoked.

And in other reviews where they test games that are actually CPU intensive like Civilization 5 and World of Warcraft and Skyrim you can clearly start to see the advantage the SB-E processors have over SB.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5091/...-bridge-e-review-keeping-the-high-end-alive/6

42355.png

42339.png

And Skyrim performance is one of the top areas people building a new high-end gaming rig would be most interested

CPU_2.png

http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/page7.html

20% faster than the 2600k in Skyrim

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...ch-core-i7-3960x-processor-review-skyrim.html

Hardware Heaven's review shows the 3960x doing the same in Skyrim against a 3.5Ghz 2700k.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...-3960x-processor-review-modern-warfare-3.html

And I don't know if their MW3 results are even accurate or if something was done wrong in the testing because of how poorly the 2700k did but the 3960x mopped the floor with the 2700k.

]I've ran benchmarks on some of the best that the 2600K line has to offer @ 5.6-5.7, as well as a 3930K at 5.3. Other than WPrime, which is entirely dependent on core/thread count, and 3Dmark Vantage (same with regards to cores/thread) the 3930K is dominated in every way. The benefits of SB-E will begin to become more apparent with >3 GPU's, as the X79 platform has an architectural GPU bandwidth advantage.

Show me your screenshots at those clocks and the results from the games that you tested. Hopefully you did something more than run a few time demo's in GPU limited titles that aren't even new releases.

Last edited:
Back