Special Apple event scheduled for September 12

I wish they'd release a Game SDK (or an sdk in general) for the iPod :(

A name change would be nice, wouldn't want people thinking they need to buy overpriced Monster iTV cables for their Apple iTV.

KaosDG said:
I wish they'd release a Game SDK (or an sdk in general) for the iPod :(
then it wouldnt be propriatary, and they couldnt over charge for shitty games!!

Its against the entire Apple idea!!

HighwayAssassins said:
then it wouldnt be propriatary, and they couldnt over charge for shitty games!!

Its against the entire Apple idea!!

Zuma isn't shitty :(

I have it on my phone. Ruins my day when I lose

StalkerZER0 said:
Ya. I hope this just encourages others to come out with a nice box like this one that would do multiple formats. Maybe something from creative or iriver?
The iTV looks to be the big deal announcement.
People do make things like this already; MS has their MCE extenders for MCE systems with a variety of people (but not Creative or anyone else like that, think Linksys) making Extenders and MS's own 360 can work as one. But thats the problem, the best Extender system is the 360 because it's the only one that can playback HD material but forget about streaming your own videos to it. If it's in a format other then WMV then it's just not going to work. To get around this there are some transcoding apps out there like transcode360 that will, in real time, transcode your Divx (or what not) files into WMV and then shoot them over to the 360.

As you can imagine this is not "ideal."

So from what I understand (and hope) Apple's "iTV" won't have this restriction, you should be able to stream video and music to this device easily.

HighwayAssassins said:
man that sucks!!

But, we did get a price drop anyways. $250+tax is not too shabby for a 60GB ipod!

you mean 30?

it's 30/80 not 60/80

Tutelary said:
Its not HD. its 640x480 h.264.(lol)
Yes, the ones you buy from the iTunes store are 640x480. No one ever said they were HD. Whats your point? :rolleyes:

CrimandEvil said:
Yes, the ones you buy from the iTunes store are 640x480. No one ever said they were HD. Whats your point? :rolleyes:

actually people DID say they were HD in this very thread.

Archer75 said:
11:02 am Engadget: [Steve finds and plays The Incredibles. it's not 640x480, it's HDTV]

It is HD!!!

Pictures of it are here: http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/12/live-from-the-steve-jobs-keynote-its-showtime/

HDMI, component, optical, they are shooting for the high end AV market.

Told.

CrimandEvil said:
People do make things like this already; MS has their MCE extenders for MCE systems with a variety of people (but not Creative or anyone else like that, think Linksys) making Extenders and MS's own 360 can work as one. But thats the problem, the best Extender system is the 360 because it's the only one that can playback HD material but forget about streaming your own videos to it. If it's in a format other then WMV then it's just not going to work. To get around this there are some transcoding apps out there like transcode360 that will, in real time, transcode your Divx (or what not) files into WMV and then shoot them over to the 360.

As you can imagine this is not "ideal."

So from what I understand (and hope) Apple's "iTV" won't have this restriction, you should be able to stream video and music to this device easily.

You mean"iDEAL" don't you? :p
Aaaaaanyway, I would spend money on a nice small enclosure that does mythtv wirelessly to my tv that will do multiple formats AND be able to record tv. I mention the "AND" because I believe the iTV doesn't recored tv. I assumed it would also be a dvr but somehow I don't think so. :(
Most of the options out there aren't as nifty as the iTV and the do-it-yerself designs just aren't as cool. I would like my own little box that records digitally tv and stores video files either directly from tv or wirelessly receives video files from my pc.

StalkerZER0 said:
I would like my own little box that records digitally tv and stores video files either directly from tv or wirelessly receives video files from my pc.
Why not just put the tuner in your PC so that it can record and then stream the files to the "little box?" I don't see why you'd want to limit yourself to such a tiny system when you could do all of it on your PC just as simple as well as have some sort of upgrade option.

Downloading "Pirates of The Carribean: The Curse of The Black Pearl"

And nice price too @ $9.99, will post impressions.

CrimandEvil said:
Why not just put the tuner in your PC so that it can record and then stream the files to the "little box?" I don't see why you'd want to limit yourself to such a tiny system when you could do all of it on your PC just as simple as well as have some sort of upgrade option.

I would normally agree. But there would be times where the PC won't be on and I would like the device ready to record tv and play the stored media files.

cc2096 said:
Downloading the as yet unreleased "Pirates of The Carribean: The Curse of The Black Pearl" :eek:

And nice price too @ $9.99, will post impressions.

I'm sorry. But they had got to get digital movie downloads cheaper. They WILL NOT get as far as they did with movies as they did with audio files with those prices.

i absolutely love the new itunes interface....really cool!

i have to agree that the student discount not being applicable for ipods kinda sux but $249 + tax for a 30GB isnt too bad.

Tutelary said:
btw, good luck streaming HD over the 802.11g in the current macs to the iTV. You'll need a new airport card, at least, regardless of the iTV itself supporting n.

Well I manage it...

So I just finished dling Pirates, and I must say the quality is leaques better than I expected. I would go so far as to say that it is almost DVD quality. Not bad for the price, but I think it can and will get better.

cc2096 said:
So I just finished dling Pirates, and I must say the quality is leaques better than I expected. I would go so far as to say that it is almost DVD quality. Not bad for the price, but I think it can and will get better.
Are you able to grab some screenshots of the quality?

Anyone got a working link to the video? The event live stream seems a dead end.

Sam

thanks for ruining it kids...

Keep this thread on topic or bans WILL be handed out

I notice that, in iTunes 7, they've changed some text around. For example now when I go to remove a song from a playlist instead of "clear" it says "delete." It just startled me alittle when I saw it, at first I was like "I don't want to throw it away, I just want to get it off of this playlist."

Little weird things like that.

Also the ablum art thing is kind of cool but it's annoying that I have to setup an account with the iTMS inorder for it too work. Even though I'm not sure it's working right as some of my music still doesn't have any album art. Not that it matters much to me, Google can solve that quickly enough.

But the new view options are really awesome. :)

I have mixed feelings about iTunes 7 too. Why couldn't Apple implement gapless playback the way foobar2000 did (not that I'm complaining). I don't really like the new look either.

If I try to play a video in the external player, pause it, and press play, the video screen will close. :confused:

Still, it does feel a lot faster on Windows that 6 did.

CrimandEvil said:
Even though I'm not sure it's working right as some of my music still doesn't have any album art. Not that it matters much to me, Google can solve that quickly enough.
It only downloads album art for albums that are already in the iTS.

How does PotC look on your iPod? Is the video better than the previous resolution? Thanks for the upcoming screenshots.

I wonder if the Apple Store has the new iPods, I need to stop and check out the 30G version...

tronmaster said:
How does PotC look on your iPod? Is the video better than the previous resolution? Thanks for the upcoming screenshots.

I wonder if the Apple Store has the new iPods, I need to stop and check out the 30G version...
As far as I know, none have gotten them in yet. Probably by tommorow.

So uh...

is there no other way to get the ipod updates now?

Would kinda suck for the non itunes people.

Now that I've used the Mac version of 7 it still feels that Apple took a crap on their Windows customers again. It's so much better! :eek:

For the people complaining, the blue icon doesn't look bad at all in the dock. :p

EDIT: It's using 114MB in XP! :(

I just bought "The Rock" from the iTunes movie store and watched some of it. i dunno moaybe because its a older movie, but i kinda think the quality sucks. maybe cause the resolution is made for the little ipod screen? someone post screen from a newer movie.

B. W. said:
Now that I've used the Mac version of 7 it still feels that Apple took a crap on their Windows customers again. It's so much better! :eek:

For the people complaining, the blue icon doesn't look bad at all in the dock. :p

EDIT: It's using 114MB in XP! :(

Yeah, it's a hog in Windows now. Hope they can maybe streamline it slightly, it drives my cpu temp up quickly.

Back