Speakers for Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find out for my friend about the viability of setting up speakers (including subwoofers) for someone's Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle (it's a speedbike). My friend wants to have "800 watts" (including subwoofers) but even I think that's a bit ridiculous. He's planning on cruising his bike at low speeds while listening to some music on speakers (it also has to be waterproof). It will be a mod, of course. Anyone with similar thoughts or advice?

Let me know! Thanks!
Jeff

That's attrocious, in my opinion. :p
I don't think it's possible to install a big enough alternator to power such.
Why on earth would you drive a hayabusa at "low" speeds?

Well, I guess you're right. But let's say he wants to do it anyway, what would you suggest? How many watts should there be? Do we really need a subwoofer? Let me know! :)

Why would you want to hear "800w subwoofers" instead of that glorious hayabusa exhaust?

If it's just for listening to music, I'd suggest a pair of isolating iiem's instead. If it's for gathering attention, then a louder exhaust is in order.

Tell him to stop riding his bike because he's an attention whore and will most likely go down sooner rather than later.

Again, it's not me. It's my friend. And my friend isn't an "attention whore" or anything you wish to demonize him as. His hobbies include modding motorcycles and he has already modded his bike to include insane airhorns. He simply wants to add speakers for himself as he cruises low speed. Nothing wrong with that (even though I thought it was silly).

In a magazine, A and S Customs had their own custom bike outfitted with speakers. In a website (http://www.uniqcycle.com/), there's speakers and stuff dedicated to motorcycles.

But I'm limited in the knowledge of audio myself. That's why I've come to all of you! :)

Thanks.

It's impossible enough to get useful bass in a Jeep. I would imagine the noisy and open nature of a bike mean the only bass he gets is through butt vibration. Furthermore, anything less than wearing earplugs on a bike more or less means hearing damage, because the ears are experiencing over 98db easily. Wouldn't it be cheaper for him to buy a jackhammer and get it over with?

This obviously isn't computer audio. Try a car audio forum. They're big fans of hearing loss ^___^

What impedance does car audio use? Is it 4ohm or only 2ohm? Reason I ask is because that 800w in a car is not the same 800w in a home stereo because they use different impedance measurements as a standard. Same applies to computer systems that have big claims of 400w etc. They just don't tell you at what impedance so are pulling the wool over your eyses because they are not using Xw@8ohm.

He simply wants to add speakers for himself as he cruises low speed. Nothing wrong with that

While I'm not trying to demonize your friend, I do see something wrong with that. He bought a 1300cc track bike capable of doing 180+mph just so he could drive around at low speeds and listen to music? If he were worried about praticality, he could of easily of done the same thing with a vespa and an ipod. Instead it's pretty clear he's worried about image. Might as well paint a big "Look at Me" across the fairings.

Well enough of ranting, some possible useful info:
a.) With the exception of Goldwings, motorcycles weren't made to drive electrical accessories, expecially not power hungry audio amplifiers. There is obviously some headroom to work with, but not nearly enought to drive a real 850w amp. The regulator would die a quick, painful death.
b.) Assuming that you could actually make a closed baffle box for a sub and mount it to a bike (like in a sidecar I guess), you're basically firing the sub off into the atmosphere. At this point you really stop "feeling" the bass and just start "hearing" the low frequency. Imagine taking a sub box out of a car and putting it on a table out in the open. Now stand 2 feet away and notice there is a big difference between this and having it in the enclosed space in your car. Combine this with the passing wind resistance creating destructive interference. When people need to "feel" bass in an open environment (like a Jeep), they usually use something like this bolted directly to the frame: http://www.aurasound.com/public/bassshaker/body.html
I really wouldn't ever want to mount this to a motorcycle though.

What impedance does car audio use?
There are no impedance "standards", cars use anything between .05 ohms up to 16 ohms, just like home audio. 800w is 800w regardless of the impedance. What people don't realize is that wattage =! loudness.

I dont even think theres enough room on one of them bikes. My neighbors all have road kings and they have radios on them but the dash is massive on those bikes.

I think hes better off with some sound isolating ear buds under his helmet.

Sound isolating earbuds on a motorcycle? Very bad idea... I can tell you as a motorcycle owner I'd NEVER want anything impeding my situational awareness and safety. It's best to stay sharp by seeing and hearing what's going on around you on motorcycle, and anticipating other motorists' actions. Earphones on a cycle is a good way to end up as a greasy smear on the roadway. Speakers, not really a good idea either. Why the hell would you want music on a Hayabusa??

man... if I had a Hayabusa.. the only thing I want to hear is the motor and the tires on the road.

thread is O/T though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back