Speakers for college

kennedy

n00b
i currently have a shuttle sn25p and have to use onboard sound. i was wonder what speaker setup i should use 2.1? 5.1? and if i need a reciever (or worth it) i wanna spend around 100 bucks. i have nice headphones (sennheiser HD555) but if im in my room with others i want good speakers so its not crappy when i turn it up. i was looking at the Klipsch 2.1's and the altec lansing 2100's. thanks for any advice in advance.

I'm thinking 2.0. Find a high quality pair of bookshelf speakers or studio monitors that sound great at LOW volumes. You're going to get hassled by the members of your dorm about turning the volume down, so you might as well get something that sounds great at all volume levels.

2.0 or 2.1, like above said, you don't want to be the asshole with loud speakers. It may be fine for you, but the folk's living next/above/below you will have their revenge eventually.

Meh, lound speakers come in handy when other people are pissing you off. They never seem to understand how annoying they're being until they get a taste of their own medicine. However, you also need to be able to control your own urge to blast your music.

I had by far the loudest setup in my dorm, but the only time I ever got a complaint was one day during the week off before finals when I took my setup outside so I could read and listen to music outside =)

when i was a freshman 4 years ago i got klipsh 4.1's they were bad mofos. they are very loud but very crisp/clean and sound high quality. i find other computer speakers to sound distorted or hallow and not as enjoyable for movies/music. the klipsh tweaters are very powerful and i still use them.

however i blew out my sub (which is also the built in resciever) my sophmore year. i think i was playing it to loud and i unplugged it from the soundcard and replugged it in. that blew the soundcard and sub lol

Stereos in college are like Mutually Assured Destruction - the key to keeping the peace is for everyone to be as heavily armed as possible, yet willing to back down. So, go nuts. You're not going to have room for surround sound on everyone's computer - at most, you'll have room for one surround setup for the whole room. 2.1 is the way to go.

My other piece of advice would be good headphones, but I think you're covered. That gives you both private listening and good HRTF for gaming (which makes up for the lack of surround).

Kevin Lowe said:
Stereos in college are like Mutually Assured Destruction - the key to keeping the peace is for everyone to be as heavily armed as possible, yet willing to back down. So, go nuts.

I love it.

I'm starting college in the fall as well, and I'm bringing my Event TR-8s. Never will I buy "computer speakers" again.

Kevin Lowe said:
Stereos in college are like Mutually Assured Destruction - the key to keeping the peace is for everyone to be as heavily armed as possible, yet willing to back down. So, go nuts. You're not going to have room for surround sound on everyone's computer - at most, you'll have room for one surround setup for the whole room. 2.1 is the way to go.
Thats why i had a pair of old cerwin vega re950's (12 inch woofers on each to give you a idea of teh size) the RA's where right accross the hall however so.... well... we got to see them alot.

kennedy said:
i currently have a shuttle sn25p and have to use onboard sound. i was wonder what speaker setup i should use 2.1? 5.1? and if i need a reciever (or worth it) i wanna spend around 100 bucks. i have nice headphones (sennheiser HD555) but if im in my room with others i want good speakers so its not crappy when i turn it up. i was looking at the Klipsch 2.1's and the altec lansing 2100's. thanks for any advice in advance.

for 100 dollars you're better off keeping the headphones and waiting til you can spend about 250 or 300.

you know you have won the pissing contest when you get a knock on the door from someone who lives in another building saying they heard the music in the shower and it bothered them. i had a tear in my eye that day. i say save your money till you buy big bad ass speakers with dual 12 in woofers and then top that off with a couple of 15 in subs. that would be the day no one F*ucked with you.

Hollow4 said:
you know you have won the pissing contest when you get a knock on the door from someone who lives in another building saying they heard the music in the shower and it bothered them. i had a tear in my eye that day. i say save your money till you buy big bad ass speakers with dual 12 in woofers and then top that off with a couple of 15 in subs. that would be the day no one F*ucked with you.

Heh, that's pretty impressive. Best I've done was someone telling me they could make out the lyrics from 3.5 halls down (linearly fashion...none of this curving around business) and on the day I brought my system outside, someone told me they heard my music from the library, which is about a 10 minute walk away and blocked by many, many trees and buildings.

go pro.

get a single crown K2 amplifier, and about 4 pairs of MTX 18" PA spekaers....and a remote control, since that setup very well could hit 150Db in a small dorm room, and watch as people entire blocks over get pissed off!

BTW a K2 pulls 1,250wrms per channel in 2-ohm. It was never meant for use outside of a professional concert environment....oh and it's a heavy mofo too....

serriously, if you want a WMD (weapons of mass disruption), nothing beats pro gear.

...now if you just want good sound....go buy some Mackie studio monitors...my god those puppies are sweet. :)

Back in school I had a set of Promedia 2.1 speakers in my single. They sound nice and get pretty loud.

yes and thats just the home theater :)

imagine what i would do if i had access to some pro gear

cheers

Imagine if someone actually suggested some speakers here.
In case you missed it ........ that was the point of the thread. ;)

Get the Klipsch and call it a day.

For anything to sound loud and good, you're going to need more amplification than you can get out of the sn25p. That means self-powered speakers, or a separate amplifier(or receiver, I suppose).

You don't have the cash to do the job, just stick with your headphones. :)

The crown amps mentioned by a previous poster are a great source of relatively cheap wattage. I've got 4 Crown XLS 202s picking up some of the slack in my home theater setup.

The Klipsch's are pretty good speakers for the money. I think they sound better than the other computer speaker sets. Just get them and forget about it

Whatever you do don't get 5.1's unless your in an apartment. 2.1's all the way and if you have a cd player system with a nice setup then hook that up to your pc instead. I don't know about your college but mine has no desk space at all! I mean i'm talking I have to scoot the desk out from the wall and let the back of my crt hang off the desk and slide the keyboard all the way touching the monitor and i have maybe enough space for two mice on the right of the keyboard (moving space wise). My speakers don't even fit on my desk. I end up having to put them on smaller plastic carts I bought from wal mart to house all my books and whatnot in.

I had Klipsch 2.1THX but they were WAY too bright for me. They would crank, but it hurt my ears.

How about the stealth speakers?

433036-162-016-01-med.jpg

(Wharfedale PPS1ACTSYSBLK)
http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/lpanel1.htm

^^^ Those are pretty cool.

I myself bought the Klipsch 2.1's my freshman year of college. Sound great, very compact, great deal. I got bigger ambitions and moved to the Promedia 5.1's a year later...the first day in my new dorm the RD came up told me to turn the bass down.

Now I've moved into an apartment and on to the Ultras and have an SWS coming in the mail tomorrow. Good thing my apartment has some serious cement walls...I can't wait :)

For great sound at a pretty good price, I don't think you can beat the Klipsch as a simple multimedia setup.

it seems the general consensus is the Klipsch, but a good alternative I recently discovered was the Swans M200. There's already a thread on the M200s so you can check that out.

They are a bit costly for a 2.0 setup but i think it's definitely worth it;however someone did say they found it for 120 shipped... :eek:

Check out Mirage's reknowned omnipolar speakers, i'm not sure of the price but they could bring you some props: Linky

Those wharfdales are pretty spiffy!

not to sound cheesy or anything but you may want to check out creative. i got some for my folks and they sound decent run off of a audigy. i got them the cheap set. 5.1 for like 70. thats well within your budget

I'll be using the Logitech z-2300 2.1 setup for my freshman year this fall. I wanted a 5.1 setup, but I figured I wouldn't have enough room to deal with the extra satellites. I'm using them right now, and they're plenty loud with some nice bass from the sub, but they're also quite clear and clean sounding. I don't think they'll disturb anybody across campus, but the rooms in the general area of mine could be in jeopardy. The one thing I'm sure of is that they'll be loud enough to block out any intruding sound if neccessary, so that's good enough for me.

there's room in my dorm for surround, so surround is what i got. klipsch 5.1 system..... yummm. they'll come in handy come move in day, party day, party day, and kegger day... :D

Back