Speaker setup in odd room configuration... PLEASE HELP!

Soulstice

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm finally getting my home theatre in order. I have a condo, and the entertainment room and dining room are shared in a 20 ft x 13 ft sized room. Due to the layout, including location of doors and windows, I was forced to set the room up as follows:

-------xxxWindowxxx------------------------------------------------------------------------Corner 40" LCD TV
SSSSSffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff/\ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTV and 5.1 Yamaha
SSSSS<------ Subwoofer in cornerfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffwallffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTV Receiver
SSSSSfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTV
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTV
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTV
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTV
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffDD
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffDD
CCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffDouble door to Den --------->DD
CCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffDD
CCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffDD
CCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffDD
CCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTT< ---- Coffee tablefffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
CCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
CCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffBBBB
CCCCCCCCffffff<---- Sectional couchfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffBookcase --------->BBBB
CCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
*fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
*fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
* fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
* <------- Entrance to hallwayfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff*
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT <---- Dining tablefffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff*
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff*
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffEntrance to kitchen -->ffffff*
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff*
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------xxCondo Entrancexx---------

I apologize for the poor diagram, although it should still be easy to decipher. "f" stands for floor

As you can see, due to the placement of the L-shaped sectional couch, location of doors and entrances, etc... I didn't really have a choice in terms of where to place the TV and receiver. Currently, I have a two-speaker setup (stereo), and they're located on the left and right of the TV. I have the centre channel speaker sitting in a box, and I will be mounting it on a corner shelf unit that I will install just above the TV. However, in terms of rear left and rear right (also setting in boxes... book-shelf speakers), where should I install them / place them. I'm thinking of wall mounting them on glass shelves, but I don't want to install the shelves until I know the best locations in terms of over all sound output / quality.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
C'mon man.... are you serious? lol

I know it's bad, but I just need some quick help. I want to get this shit mounted tonight, and I didn't feel like designing and then posting content up on a Website, and then linking to it from here.

Hard to understand that diagram, but where is your primary seating position on the couch?

Most of the time, it will be just to the right of the coffee table. The couch has a recliner component, but it's only in that one area, and so it's my favourite spot. haha

However, I would assume that, when watching DVD movies, Internet TV, video games, and such someone will possibly sit anywhere from the left of the coffee cable all the way to the right.

However, when listening to music, the entire couch can be used. This is especially true of the part closest to the window, because it allows you to lie on it like a bed, and it's so damn comfortable.

I was bored:

Drawing1.png

Wow... Thank you. That's perfect! Now I just need to figure out where to place the speakers. Also, if you recommend a better spot for the sub, feel free to recommend. I placed it there because most sites state to place it in a corner to receive better overall better. Also, where you have the door to the kitchen, just keep in mind that up until the where the bookcase begins, the wall is half-height... ...like, think walk-up bar.

I would leave the sub where it is, a corner IS the best place for it for maximum effect. Can the TV be moved forward a bit to place speakers on either side of it?

Front left and front right can definitely be placed beside the TV if need be. But, what about rear right and rear-left?

Also, front-left and front right are floor speakers... Rear right and rear-left are bookshelf speakers (roughly 10" x 10" ). I'm hoping to wall mount them on shelves. I'm just trying to figure out the right location(s).

They would not be 'rear' in the strictest sense, but how about one mounted high above the sub, and one on top of the bookcase? if the one above the sub is close to the ceiling it will minimize being too 'hot' for someone on that end of the couch.

Or, you could have the left [or both] angled up for a bounce off the ceiling for more dispersion, less directionality?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I think you and I are definitely in agreement with regard to the right-rear speaker.... except, instead of sitting on top of the bookcase, I'll mount it on the wall beside it. Should I place it close to the ceiling.... say roughly a foot or so away.

As for the left-speaker, I thought about your suggestion. I'm fine with it, but is this a best practice given my situation, or just a recommendation based on personal experience.

Obviously, once I mount the shelves, there's no going back. I realize, that, ideally, I should be testing various positions ahead of time, and then finalizing on something later on, but I just don't have the time, and I just want to get this job done. I'm not looking for "perfection" given the circumstances, room layout, etc. However, I want to make the best decision based on the information presented.

I've read somewhere, that speakers should be positioned 15 cm from the ceiling for best audio experience. That's roughly one foot.

I've read somewhere, that speakers should be positioned 15 cm from the ceiling for best audio experience. That's roughly one foot.

Okay, well, that works out well. Where did you read this?

I'm only asking because I've only been able to find information pertaining to standard setups. Google has links to hundreds of documents, how-tos, and advice specific to 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 speaker installations and sound tuning... ...but they all cator to a perfectly spaced room, where the couch is centered. Obviously, this in no way applies to much situation, and some of the articles generally ask that rear speaker be installed at roughly "ear-level".

I've read it an an old pc magazine with theme being audio setups...That was about 5 years ago, but I've remembered that bit of information because I was thinking of buying genius home theater wood sw 5000...never bought the speakers tho, they were way to expensive, I went for altec lansing 2.1 setup that was very cheap. Still have them :D

Well, unfortunately, with multiple seating positions and your TV off center, you're not going to be able to get perfect positioning.

Assuming your rear speakers are not bi/di-pole, I would suggest placing the surrounds either at the left and right of the couch your primary seating positon is on. They should be a bit higher than ear height, either in line with your position or a bit back. If they're a bit behind, you can toe them in a little bit. If you're using shelves, make sure the speakers sit such that there is no shelf between them and you, as that could reflect sound. You might also try stands as you could play with the positioning and tweak it.

If one speaker is closer to you, you should adjust the settings on your receiver to reflect that. But try not to have the speaker TOO close to you or that channel will overpower the other.

But your best bet would be trying to re-arrange the room so that your TV is centered in front of the couch. Can the TV not be moved to the wall to the left of it, and the couch turned 90 degrees?

But your best bet would be trying to re-arrange the room so that your TV is centered in front of the couch. Can the TV not be moved to the wall to the left of it, and the couch turned 90 degrees?

I wish. TV can be moved to the left, but the position of the couch can not be altered.

If you have ever looked at the placement of the surround speakers along the sides of theaters, they are very high relative to the seats. Add to this the fact that surround channels do not produce 100% of the audio, only fill-in for effects, etc. they provide more of an 'ambient' effect rather than the fronts which with the center channel are much more critical to the experience.

Nothing will tell YOU what they sound like better than YOU testing it out. Try the left sitting on its back up-firing on top of the sub, or firing at the wall away from the back of the shorter side of the couch and let it reflect off the wall. Let it reflect and see if it fills acceptably for that channel. Try the right rear on top of the bookcase, back aways close to the wall and firing toward the rear edge of the couch. this way, both will be unobtrusive and stealthy while providing the surround 'fill' as needed.

Also try perching it on boxes temporarily to see if the 'direct' firing config is more to your liking. Once you have experienced the setup YOU think sounds the best, then mount the shelves if needed, or just leave them out of sight like I originally suggested. good luck!

Back