speaker fell off stand and the terminals broke off :(

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
my dog knocked off one of the speakers and the terminal broke off...

i debate calling the regional onkyo repair center and asking if they can replace it for me, but i bet the cost will be immense :(

so i found speaker terminals on amazon... but i cant seem to pry out the old terminal, maybe i need to jam a flat head under the plastic and try to push the terminal out?

i tried taking pliers and unscrewing the broken posts, but that wasnt fruitful.

i could always ghetto rig the speaker cables onto the remaining posts with some soder?

advice/ideas?

yeah, put a flathead in and work your way slowly around... it's probably glues down, be gentle so you don't break the wood or make it so you have a gap there later on. replacing the terminals should be no big deal, likely you can just unscrew them and put in new ones

Exactly, they are just held on with nuts. Same way the old ones should be held on, actually....

can i use this?
http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Plastic...id=1375313584&sr=1-4&keywords=banana+terminal

i figure i can unscrew them from the large plastic housing and screw into my existing speaker cup...

it took me about 10 minutes to pry the cup out, a lot of glue... go Onkyo on build quality I guess?

You can get a new cup with the terminals of the same size (if you can find one, partsexpress.com etc) and just glue the new one in after screwing the wires to the correct terminals. You already did the hardest job removing the glued old part.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

here it is pried open.

i ordered those terminals, should be here on saturday, thanks amazon prime!

Hopefully only the terminals were busted. You hit a speaker hard enough by dropping and you can kill the speaker itself.

It looks like you have the repair covered, but I do have some prevention advice for the future.

I would recommend securing your speakers to whatever stand they are on using museum putty:
http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-88111-Museum-Putty-Neutral/dp/B0002VA9NA/

It is cheap and will hold your speakers far more securely than any non-slip pad will be capable of, and it will remove cleanly without damaging the mounting surface and/or the speakers, unlike adhesive pads.

I've used this stuff to secure all of my speakers through the years, from real wood finishes to piano high gloss, and it has worked every time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
oh cool! thanks for that... too bad its an addon item :(

i hate how amazon makes small purchases "add on item" only

how thick is this stuff after applying it onto 2 surfaces?

will the blue stick out in between the stand and speaker bottom?

Hopefully only the terminals were busted. You hit a speaker hard enough by dropping and you can kill the speaker itself.

theres a guy on ebay selling 2 of these speakers for SUPER cheap, if it comes to the point of this speaker being dead, i will just ebay them :p

I've not used Blu-Tack personally, but it's probably the same or very similar stuff. And it has very similar reviews to the Quakehold product I linked.

Just make sure that whatever product you use is museum putty and not the generic or 3M putty which is designed to hold posters to walls and the like as those will not secure heavy objects in place.

As for how much to use, I generally roll the putty into four balls, each around a quarter to a half inch in diameter, and place one ball near each of the corners. Then press the speaker straight down onto the putty until the putty is around the thickness of a quarter. (I would leave around a half inch or so clearance between each ball and its respective corner in order to allow the putty some expansion room when you press down.)

To remove the speaker, you'll need to slowly and carefully twist and gently lift the speaker off the putty.

As for how much to use, I generally roll the putty into four balls, each around a quarter to a half inch in diameter, and place one ball near each of the corners. Then press the speaker straight down onto the putty until the putty is around the thickness of a quarter. (I would leave around a half inch or so clearance between each ball and its respective corner in order to allow the putty some expansion room when you press down.)

To remove the speaker, you'll need to slowly and carefully twist and gently lift the speaker off the putty.

That's exactly how I applied it.

Last edited:
Back