Speaker and Sound card systems - what do you have?

4keatimj

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking around the Audio forums, it seems most people have whole systems. Myself, i have different speakers. Here:
Sound card: Hercules Gamesurround Muse 5.1 DVD. Really good for music and games, brilliant sound quality, supports everything.
Front Speakers: Labtec LCS-600 (nearly 10 years old but still goin strong!)
Rear Speaker: Sony APM-078 III connected to Sony FH-7 Mk III amp. These are the best speakers i have ever heard, I love listening to them and enjoy it heaps.

Anyway, how many people are like me and have different speakers making up their systems? Please give an indication on what the speakers and card are and what they sound like. Hopefully we can give those people searching for speakers and cards a good indication on what to buy and what to avoid. It also gives me an indication on whether i'm the only one that just grabbed any speakers around the house and bundled them to make a great surround system. BTW, if you are wondering, I had monitor mounted speakers as my centre and subwoofer, but the monitor died and now I have 4-speaker surround.

Speakers :Klipsch 5.1 Ultras
Sound card : Audigy 2
Headphones: Sennheiser HD555 (soon to have pimenta amp)

sounds great

muahaha another fellow ultra owner.
speakers: packin ultra
sound card: nothing, unless you count that integrated crap. too cheap to buy a new sound card

Sound Cards:

A2
Revo 7.1
Soundstorm (Optical Out)

Speakers:

L/R: Paradigm Reference
Rears: Paradigm SR-50s (i think too lazy to look em up)
Front: Some Yammaha speakers/2 z-560's connects to front channel (ghetto woo woo)
Sub: Semi-converted sub from z-560's :)

Receivers. Denon 1802 and a Pioneer VSX-D712

Sound Card:
Audigy 2ZS (Modded)

Speakers:
Usually some Logitech Z560s, but I'm hooked up to a Sony receiver and some Audio Reference floorstanders right now.

Main box: SoundStorm + Creative Inspire 4400 + Altec Lansing AHP5
2nd box: Hercules Fortissimo II + Cambridge FPS1000
3rd box: Philips Dynamic Edge 4.1
4th box: n/a

Game Theater XP (7.1)
Soundstorm
Klipsch ProMedia 4.1
X86 Pimeta
Sennheiser HD 580
Sony mdr7509

Main System ::

- Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
- SB Audigy 2 Platinum

Secondary System ::

- JBL Desktop Speakers (no sub)
- SB Live! 5.1

Desk top Santa cruz and Altec MX5021
Notebook sound down Altec FX6021.
Headset Altec AHS-502.

Home desktop:
-Logitech Z-5300
-SB Audigy 2 Platinum

School desktop:
-Cambridge SoundWorks FPS1000
-SB Live 5.1 X-Gamer

Audigy (443 A2 driver)
Pioneer VSX-D412 receiver
Pioneer S-H053C-K center
Yamaha NS-555 fronts (replaced old Pioneer CS-B9000s)
Sansui SP-X2U rears
KLH ASW-100C(i think?) sub

oh and some Sen HD 497s too

Give me one month and it will be:

Soundcard :E-mu 1212m or RME HDSP 9632
Amp: Plinius 9100
Speakers: Green Mountain Audio Europa V2
HP Amp: PPA with Diamond buffers
HPs: Sennheiser HD600s

Klipsch Promedia 5.1s
Sound Blaster Audigy 2, also own a M-audio Revolution, but the Audigy is installed for games

Sound Card: AC'97 :rolleyes: (don't ask me which one Shuttle put on it but it's got 5.1)

Speakers: Ye olde lousy no-name 5.1 set. "Zoltrisound" or something.

Effect: Sounds lousy (Who would have thought that!)

Speakers: Creative S700 GigaWorks 5.1
Sound Card: Audigy 2 ZS

-I chose the S700 speakers after my Klispch 5.1 Ultras died after only having them for three months. :rolleyes: freakin' POS speakers....... never again.

the S700s sound just as good (if not better than) my Klipsch Ultras did and so far they've been chuggin' along quite nicely. ;)

Game Theater XP [probably to be replaced by an Emu 1212M when I get some cash]
Marantz SR8200 Reciever [nice reciever, bought refurb, comes with a snazzy LCD touchscreen remote]
AR25 speakers [old Acoustic Research, but rated to +-1 dB for their whole frequency range!]
SVS PB2+ subwoofer [the size of a coffee table, but nothing beats 120 dB peaks when watching a movie]
Gilmore V2 headphone amp [very nicely made headphone amplifier, plenty of power]
Sennheiser HD650 headphones [also, very nice, well made frames, nice sound]
Sennheiser HD570 headphones [portable use, the Hd650's don't leave my room =]

BO(V)BZ

Nforce2 soundstorm or whatever it is called optical out, into yamaha dsp-a595a decoder and amp, into eltax liberty 5+ floorstanders, plenty loaud enough for me, as i am in a dinky lil box of a room....

Stanley Pain said:
Wow that emu 1212m looks like one bad ass card :)

Can it encode to 5.1 on the fly?

No, it can't encode. I'm really hoping somebody decides to make an add-in card that can do that. The Emu cards are pro audio card, you won't even get directsound support [I think]

The one flaw that I know of with the Emu cards is that they cannot pass a 5.1digital stream, only 2 channel. This isn't too big a deal for me, cause I'll probably just use two soundcards, the Emu and the GTXP. If you look at RMAA results for the Emu 1212M, it is stellar.

BO(V)BZ

BO(V)BZ said:
No, it can't encode. I'm really hoping somebody decides to make an add-in card that can do that. The Emu cards are pro audio card, you won't even get directsound support [I think]

The one flaw that I know of with the Emu cards is that they cannot pass a 5.1digital stream, only 2 channel. This isn't too big a deal for me, cause I'll probably just use two soundcards, the Emu and the GTXP. If you look at RMAA results for the Emu 1212M, it is stellar.

BO(V)BZ

Yes, the card boasts some steller specs for recording. Most reviews have it pegged at coming in realy close to it's stated specs for THD, SNR, etc. Very impressive. a $199 dollar card that could run a fair sized home recording studio :)

H-Money said:
Speakers :Klipsch 5.1 Ultras
Sound card : Audigy 2

sounds great

Ditto...look great too. So sexah.

Had the pormedia 5.1's before that, and the 2.1's before that and still haven't heard a better set of multimedia speakers.

Though I hear those gigaworks aren't too shabby ;)

Sound Card: Soundmax integrated crap (Asus P4P800)
Speakers: Logitech Z-640 (5.1)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD520 II
For a setup as cheap as I have I'm pretty happy with it.

Card: NVidia Soundstorm (on a DFI NFII Ultra 400 (rev a) motherboard)

speakers: Onkyo GX-D90 powered speakers with a Yamaha YST-215 subwoofer.

The Onkyos are nice...only quality powered speaker set I have seen that has both coax and TOSlink digital inputs. It also has RCA for those who don't have digital out yet. The Yamaha sub adds some hardcore oomph that the tiny 3.5" cones in the Onkyo's couldn't do.

Keep in mind this is a low-space fidelity stereo rig, not a gaming surround sound setup....despite how nicely it makes the floor/walls/ceilings/neighbors rattle while playing BF:Vn :p

sound card: 6.1 onboard sound on abit it7 mobo

speakers logitech z560

sonds good enough to me :)

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

Speakers: Logitech Z-5300's

I like them both alot :).

Hercules Fortissimo III
Yamaha HTR-5630
KLH tower speakers.

for a system i got together for under 250$ i think it's a pretty bitching system. i'm never going back to computer oriented speakers. i've fallen in love with a stereo set up.

If you ever wnat to give computer speakers a shot again and don't mind stereo only, look at the Swans M-200. They are rather pricey at about $200, and have no sub...but htey don't need a sub either. By PC speaker standards they are absolutely massive...they take up about as much space as a mid sized shelf speaker each....but they have the volume, and the fidelity to satisfy almost anyone.

Many people actually rank these as audiophile speakers, despite being meant for a PC.

I've heard good things about the Swans speakers also, not just the little PC ones. However, if you already have a decent receiver, I'd say go for a set of speakers like the Paradigm Atoms. At around 200$ also, they are vrey highly reviewed. Another option for 300 would be the Epos ELS-3, another popular budget choice.

Why get pseudo-bookshelves when you can have the real thing?

BO(V)BZ

On the topic of going from multimedia speakers to a real setup, I'm waitin for the day I can buy a pair of klipsch RF-7 floorstandings and the RS-15 15" sub (anyone have about $3k they can loan me?).

Can't resist havin over 4000 watts peak power, except the gf hates bass :(

Sound Board: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Gamer 2003 Make.

Amp: Pioneer VSX 600 series Digital

Speakers: Athena AS-B1

These things make gaming FUN!
They are the best speakers in retail right now for the money. screw Klipsch.

try them out. bass response is incredible for a small speaker, and they are actually crossed over properly for the mounted drivers. :)

Souncards:

Audigy II ZS
Fortissimo II

Speakers:

Altec MX5021's(The best 2.1 MM speakers on the market,and best for music overall)
A Kenwood 5.1 HT setup for movies, TV, ect, PS2, and when I connect my Laptop to watch a movie.

Main machine:

C-Media CMI8738 (onboard Shuttle AK35GT2)
Pioneer SX-D5000 (80rms * 2 channels, gotta love the flouroscans)
MTX AAL10 Loudspeakers

I will be having problems when I move to an apartment at the end of the summer.

Second Machine:

SB 128 PCI (Free)
Radioshack Prologic Decoder with powered center and surround outputs ($10)
Pioneer SX-205 Stereo Receiver ($40)
KLH L853 Main Speakers ($ -5 Thanks BB!)
KLH 9930 Center Channel ($30 with surrounds)
KLH 9930 Surrounds

Best $75 surround sound system money can buy :D .

DeepFreeze said:
They are the best speakers in retail right now for the money. screw Klipsch.

oooh, dem's fightin words. wait till i drop my promedia ultra sub on ur crotch, then we'll see if u can say that ;)

Back