Speaker and Headphone Rigs Picture Thread

14ca1180_SAM_2882.jpeg

Source and headphones the same as prior.

edit: ^^beautiful^^

Alesis Elevate 5 - they sound amazing. I thought I might need a sub but they really do hit 55hz which is making me reconsider the small sub for a bit.
(I have small 4inch stands coming for them)
IMG_1642_zpsgvssuabs.jpg

Good old winamp with milkdrop. :)

Last edited:
How are you liking the newer version of the Bose? Been contemplating on picking them up to replace these old logitech ones...

How are you liking the newer version of the Bose? Been contemplating on picking them up to replace these old logitech ones...

Well, these replaced logitech z323's and they are much better, of course there's no sub so the very deeps won't be had but they go surprisingly low and high for their size. They sound better and better the louder you go. I'd recommend them if you're tight on space

This is a thing of beauty. I'm very curious to know how they all compare. Especially the massdrop ones... when those dropped it seemed like one of those things that sounds too good to be true. Does it really stack up to the more expensive offerings?

AMPS:
Asus Essence STX
Cayin C5

HEADPHONES:
Philips Fidelio X2 - awesome well balanced headphones, big sound stage, good for gaming, very good comfort. I can see everyone enjoying these. Will have some driver pop from over excursion w/ heavy bass, can't be played that loud.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900x w/ Audeze LCD Microsuede and NVX "leather" extra thick angled pads. I've tested the 2000x's and TBH, I enjoyed the 900x better, the bass response was better w/ the 900x's, Hands down this ART lineup of Audio Technica's have the best highs I've ever heard, clarity and positional audio is incredible on these, like wall hacking in FPS's, Don't even feel them on your head they are so lightweight and comfy with the fat angled pads, these 900x's scream and will not distort at loud volumes, they just keep going and going. People say these lack bass, I have to disagree, the bass on these cans w/ the NVX angled "leather pads is very very impressive.

JVC HA-SZ2000 that are f*cking SPL bass cannons w/ a custom APO profile (like listening to a professional car audio system pounding 4x15's in a 4th order tuned enclosure tuned to 29hz) I honestly never use these cans that much due to shitty SQ, but they are still very fun to listen to every once in while. Pretty much these are like beats by dre, but hit 20-35hz with way more power and volume. these actually will flex paper... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDa3ac58KcQ

AMP / 2.1 SPEAKERS:
Harmon Kardon AVR430 (clean power)

Micca Club 3 gloss black bookshelves, decent budget speakers (running a custom APO EQ setting)

12" Velodyne Powered Sub tuned very low

I0BoOPl.jpg

CYLeYPb.jpg

GHigxD1.jpg

7DhUAdk.jpg

JpnAOhl.jpg

Bumping this one because I got my speaker stands. They're exactly what I wanted.
pi9WBz7.jpg

and my cat can still sit on top of the speaker and it's stable.
2f9fEZK.jpg

I got the stands custom made by this ebay seller. It look a long time, like 6 weeks, but I think I paid $50 shipped. So pretty reasonable for nice sturdy custom stands.

I also added a Pioneer SW-8MK2 8 inch 100w sub to the system. I have a y-cable from the back of my stereo line out to the monitors and the sub. It sounds really really nice now. Way better than my Logitech Z5300's ever did.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Custom stands for $50 is a good buy. People underestimate how important placement is for desktop speakers. Getting them up off the desk is huge! That $50 investment will carry forward to any future speaker upgrades as well. So, well done I say.

Here's one of my rigs:

Desk1.jpeg

Desk2.jpeg

Obviously this is a listening only station, I don't do much else on the MacBook Air.

That's a HiFiMAN HM-901S portable player sitting in the matching dock. The dock gets you dedicated analog outs (for using the internal DAC of the player) as well as digital outs for use with an external DAC (which is what I am using in this pic).

The gaming PC headphone setup! Sennheiser HD 800 headphones -> Norne Draug 2 cable -> Schiit Valhalla 2 amp -> Creative Titanium HD sound card.

Using CMSS surround and some software EQ and my games have never sounded so immersive!

IMG_0400.jpg

7juTo3y.jpg

Dynaudio C1 MK2 on some Auralex Pro Pads. Nightime switch to Senheiser HD800S headphones. But my best investment has to be the launch PS3, with which I use to rip many SACDs :D

Very nice setup.

I've been ripping all my SACD's with PS3 (finally done) and laughing at the prices being charged by DSD download sites.

Btw, how much clearance do you have behind those Dynaudios? Hard to tell from the pic, and I'm curious if it poses any problems for you.

Btw, how much clearance do you have behind those Dynaudios? Hard to tell from the pic, and I'm curious if it poses any problems for you.

My clearance is 6 inches. I use the port plugs that come with the speakers.

They seem to have a -3db point around 39-40Hz (on-axis frequency response posted below) and I find them a little too bass heavy even when I had them in the middle of the room, so the reduced response from the port plug helps alot. especially compared to the excess boundary reinforcement that I get with the ports open.

1107DC1fig4.jpg

Very nice, but what is driving the SRD7 energizer? Must be a speaker amp in the chain somewhere.

I know a few people who like the LCD-X more than LCD-3 but I'm with you, the 3 is better to my ears.

Come on, admit it, you guys dust and wax before you take the photo.

Personally I swiffer my desk every day... with two cats running around here it's almost a necessity.

In all reality I think it's more like, take pic, look at pic "Holy shit I need to dust and polish", dust and polish, take new pic, look at new pic "much better". Post pic! ;)

Personally I swiffer my desk every day... with two cats running around here it's almost a necessity.

In all reality I think it's more like, take pic, look at pic "Holy shit I need to dust and polish", dust and polish, take new pic, look at new pic "much better". Post pic! ;)

I would post a pic but my stuff is a bit too dusty and I am too lazy to dust. I'm a once a month a guy. I have a friend who is a once a year guy, it looks bad.

Does anyone have speaker setups with multiple monitors (at least 2, preferably 3) in landscape? I'm looking for ideas on how to make that work, if possible.

Does anyone have speaker setups with multiple monitors (at least 2, preferably 3) in landscape? I'm looking for ideas on how to make that work, if possible.

I've got two displays and a set of monitors. The monitors are on either side of my main display, with my second display off to the left of the one monitor. If you're looking for bezels touching / surround gaming that kinda screws it up, by my second display is just a workspace so it's fine that it's offset.

I've got two displays and a set of monitors. The monitors are on either side of my main display, with my second display off to the left of the one monitor. If you're looking for bezels touching / surround gaming that kinda screws it up, by my second display is just a workspace so it's fine that it's offset.

If you don't mind, could you post a picture of your setup?

This thread should be a sticky. So many good photos from over the years.

New HT/2ch listening rig. No sub yet, still saving up for a SVS SB-2000. Will be adding a turntable soon as well. Specs: Swans D2.1SE+, Emotiva PT-100, Emotiva UPA-200

lE4V4KY.jpg

pBx9YDv.jpg

I won't be leaving them in the living room - it's too wide open and asymmetrical to achieve any semblance of good imaging. Will probably move them to my bedroom where they will be hilariously overpowered, but in a space where reflections can be more easily controlled.

It's been awhile coming since I use my sony MDR-V6's mostly out and about and at work.. instead of studio headphones.. cable has been rubbing me the wrong way since I got these.. modded them to removable cable.. mostly successfully, they work and look good ..imho.. however very little clearance for jack by 3.5mm complicating cable choices.. I may redo this with a pig tail instead.. not sure.. or I may just leave it.. as you can see in the 2nd photo .. cable scrapes ear cup when plugged in.. not really the end of the world.. mod is easy enough but not especially reversible.. had to drill the cable outlet hole out.. to make room for 3.5mm jack..

mdrV6_3.jpg
mdrV6_4.jpg

as soon as I can find a replacement jack narrow enough I'm going to re-terminate the stock cable so that I can use the coiled cable when using these at my computer desk and whatever.

if you want to take you sony's with you to coffee or on a bus or whatever..this mod makes these a lot more manageable on the go.

New HT/2ch listening rig. No sub yet, still saving up for a SVS SB-2000. Will be adding a turntable soon as well. Specs: Swans D2.1SE+, Emotiva PT-100, Emotiva UPA-200

lE4V4KY.jpg

pBx9YDv.jpg

I won't be leaving them in the living room - it's too wide open and asymmetrical to achieve any semblance of good imaging. Will probably move them to my bedroom where they will be hilariously overpowered, but in a space where reflections can be more easily controlled.

Invest to acoustic treatment. A couple of limp membrane resonators, diffusors and absorbers and you're golden. Those small stand speakers need good acoustics.

Invest to acoustic treatment. A couple of limp membrane resonators, diffusors and absorbers and you're golden. Those small stand speakers need good acoustics.

Definitely, I fully intend to put in some room treatment. Unfortunately, my living room is just not suited for audio, with high vaulted ceilings and an open connection to the atrium, dining room, kitchen, and staircase. The result is more or less an echo chamber with stray reflections everywhere...treating this space would be an absolute nightmare. Once I make some space in bedroom and get everything moved up there, I'll be able to control those reflections a lot more easily with treatment. The plan is to put bass traps in the corners (I've since added a cheap sub for now, Energy S10.3) and absorbers/diffusers at the first reflection points...should be plenty given it's a tiny 11x11 room.

What's the general consensus on constructing panels vs purchasing premade? Treating my room with panels from GIK would run close to $400....would I be able to achieve a similar level of performance going the DIY route?

Last edited:
Definitely, I fully intend to put in some room treatment. Unfortunately, my living room is just not suited for audio, with high vaulted ceilings and an open connection to the atrium, dining room, kitchen, and staircase. The result is more or less an echo chamber with stray reflections everywhere...treating this space would be an absolute nightmare. Once I make some space in bedroom and get everything moved up there, I'll be able to control those reflections a lot more easily with treatment. The plan is to put bass traps in the corners (I've since added a cheap sub for now, Energy S10.3) and absorbers/diffusers at the first reflection points...should be plenty given it's a tiny 11x11 room.

What's the general consensus on constructing panels vs purchasing premade? Treating my room with panels from GIK would run close to $400....would I be able to achieve a similar level of performance going the DIY route?

Are you in the US? If you have money to spare I would contact Acoustic Fields for advice. Guess work is usually catastrophic with acoustic solutions so unless you have a firm knowledge on the subject I would not tackle the project without professional help. The GIK panels are fairly low tech in essence but the main issue is that, GIK or not, you need to know pretty much exactly what to put, where to put and why to put in order to get a good result.

Acoustic Fields offers you a free room analysis and of course they offer you their products should you choose to use them. Acoustic fields offers also DIY instructions if you want to get your hands dirty...

Back