Speaker and Headphone Rigs Picture Thread

When Carver made the holographic sound technology, surround sound was not really a mainstream thing even in theaters. I don't think it was really ever made to work with video. The purpose of the holographic sound was to mimic a concert hall environment in your listening room. The rear speaker was only there to give a delayed echo effect on the sound coming out of the front speakers. In this way, the sound helped open up a small room and make it sound like a bigger concert hall.

You are correct, and for my purposes (stereo 2 channels only) it adds some fun to things. My comment about video was more to do with the inputs it had, which for the time were good but now are outdated. It obviously lacks things like HDMI, upscaling, etc.

Does the amp even have HDMI output for video or game consoles? It would be pretty funny to hook up an X Box to something like the Theater Grand since its such an esoteric audio product.

It doesn't have HDMI, however it does have 2 Component, and a bunch of composite and S-video inputs. With that said it doesnt do upscaling so if you send a S-video signal in, you need to connect the S-Video out to your TV, for each type.

I have a laserdisc player (composite), Denon 3910 (component * optical for video, RCA's for SACD/DVD-A) and a TT (using a Harman Kardon Citation 11 as a phono pre) right now.

However I also have in boxes for when I have more room to use them a Xbox, SNES, N64, and a Sega Genesis I will be connecting to the TGP-II. Since most of those consoles were stereo only they will add to the nostalgia of the setup :p

The SNES though will be tricky as it uses a non standard pixel rate so I dont know how easy it will be to incorporate that.

I plan to purchase a composite/S-Video to VGA converter so I can utilize my computer monitor as the display. That or just get a cheapy 32" TV from somewhere (maybe a pawn shop) that allows me to use all those connections.

Wow you have some nice stuff! Laserdisks were so cool looking when they first came out. Now people don't even use DVDs anymore but download the movies. Times change. I still recall our first VHS when they came out. It was this gigantic RCA thing with some digital clock like thing stuck to the top. It was still the era when BETA was selling better than VHS but that quickly changed.

You have a HK Citation turntable! Weren't those the one with the linear tracking arm? My dad had one of those. He had a whole bookshelf full of classical music vinyls.

Would be neat hooking up some of the old consoles came players to your system. :)

Thanks for the nice trip to the old days.

Edit: My bad! The Citation 11 I think was an amplifier and not a turntable.

Last edited:
Wow you have some nice stuff! Laserdisks were so cool looking when they first came out. Now people don't even use DVDs anymore but download the movies. Times change. I still recall our first VHS when they came out. It was this gigantic RCA thing with some digital clock like thing stuck to the top. It was still the era when BETA was selling better than VHS but that quickly changed.

You have a HK Citation turntable! Weren't those the one with the linear tracking arm? My dad had one of those. He had a whole bookshelf full of classical music vinyls.

Would be neat hooking up some of the old consoles came players to your system. :)

Thanks for the nice trip to the old days.

Edit: My bad! The Citation 11 I think was an amplifier and not a turntable.

The Citation is a pre-amp only. I have my Technics SL-B3 turntable connected to it via the phono input and then am using one of the two pre-outs on the Citation to my TGP-II. I like the Citation connected as its got EQ which is pretty darn nice for making things sound better especially with Vinyl.

One of these days I will get a better TT (this one is pretty nice and was free). I want a Thorens and know someone with a 161 that might get rid of his in the next couple years :).

I dont have many LP's but its nice to have the option to play them if someone brings them over. Same with CD's, DVD-A's and SACD's. I have the Denon for that. I am 99% FLAC and high rez to my system using the Meridian Explorer DAC/Headphone amp.

Thanks for the correction. The Technics turntable brings back memories. I had an SL-B1 turntable that I bought when I was in high school. It was my first TT purchase back then using my own money (the previous Dual turntable was a hand me down from my dad) and it was one of the early direct drive ones. That and a Shure V15 type III cartridge. I used that thing for a very long time. I left it at home when I went to college and I think my parents gave the stuff away (Dyanco pre and power amp, Sony tuner, Technics TT and Technics cassette deck, Hitachi CD player and some Knight Speakers). Never got back to owning another component stereo system again (getting married, raising kids and stuff) and by the time I was thinking about this, I ended up getting into the PC building bug instead.

On the other hand I am pretty happy with these DIY Dayton kits and the Marantz receiver and the HSU sub. The sound is pretty nice at near field and at my age my ears are not as sensitive as they used to be anyway. LOL.

Anyway, sorry to drag this on and again, you have some really nice stuff.

Finally bit the bullet on some no name (IMO) IEM's due to all the head-fi can love. The Vsonic GR07 MK2's absolutely blow away my old Triple Fi 10's. I wear them cable down and they're super comfy. If ever there was a balanced IEM, these are them. The bass goes super low whilst keeping the mids right in the action. Songs like David Guetta's Titanium hit hard and the vocals stay on top. Great IEM's for $180.

Close ups!

Action shots!

Gahhhh stupid fingerprints on black glass desk... oh well. here are my HD600, E7, E9, Lepai Amp and Dayton speakers

xjuCWwW.jpg

Nice setup. Which Dayton speakers are those?

Edit: Ah saw your post in the other thread and they are B652s.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had previously had my JBL L1s to the sides of my monitors (briefly after getting my Klipcsh KG2.5's) and I had my B&W V202s on the other side of my desk... this sounded pretty good but was rather unwieldy and was honestly sort of of whelming (making my a bit claustrophic with the L1s feeling like they were crowding the monitors too much)

So... i'm now going to store the B&W's (maybe sell them I have not honestly decided...I do like them and I got a killer deal on them (which makes a argument for and against selling them...in my mind) reguardless I'm moving them aside for now.

Yesterday I picked up these really good condition JBL J2050 speakers for a super good price (combo deal w/ a Yammy T-760 tuner )

and so I put them where i had the L1s and the L1's back on the other side of my desk... feel my more livable like this ... the L1s are just to big to try to cram to the sides of the monitors and it was stressing me out.

Basically the J series JBL's get less respect than the L's but whatever I actually like these very much and am quite please with the sound near field (they don't probably have enough low end to use them for the whole room w/out a sub) but whatever

other bonus these J2050's where still made in the USA.... so none of my speakers in my computer area are china

Klispch KG 2.5's : USA
JBL J2050 : USA
JBL L1 : USA
Optimus ProX5 : Malaysia

Gahhhh stupid fingerprints on black glass desk... oh well. here are my HD600, E7, E9, Lepai Amp and Dayton speakers

xjuCWwW.jpg

Stupid fingerprints or lazy bastage who doesn't take 30 secs to wipe it before the shot? ;)

Hhah, maybe both. I actually cleaned it down with windex yesterday and it already looks worse than that shot :(

Hhah, maybe both. I actually cleaned it down with windex yesterday and it already looks worse than that shot :(

True story: There was this woman who was cleaning and cleaning a glass table top. She scrubbed and rubbed and she just couldn't get the table top clean.

So she asks my father if he had some super strong detergent for glass. He goes to see what kind of dirt is in question, wipes the _under_ side of the glass clean with paper and water and miraculously the problem is solved. :)

Nice collection. I would sell all except for the 800 and try some older Lambda Stax with those funds. If you haven't tried stax yet that is.

Use Sprayway or Stoners glass cleaner, both work very well.

Good suggestions; I will likely try one, if not both, out.

I love the look of tempered black glass. Unfortunately, even if you clean the surface to a shine it'll be dusty, full of prints, and/or whatever within the hour. It's just the nature of the beast.

I suppose tempered black glass does promote keeping an uncluttered desk though, unless you want to move clutter around for your hourly swiffer and/or spray down session.

=p ummm yes it could take awhile if i decided to post "all" my gear..

admit it y'all are jealous of this little $2 bad boy of a source Panasonic SL-S150 portable cd player shown with Pioneer SE-A1000..

new (to me)

Akai ASE-45 dynamic headphones early 80s (i think???) sound pretty good .. frames is a bit creaky however.. going to see if i can sort that at all. $8~

gp8o.jpg

Newest addition Bottlehead Crack. Not finished yet, adding the speedball soon, and fabbing a custom case.

Current work setup although the Senn 580s are not pictured.
Schiit Asgard, Schiit Bifrost, JDS O2, JDS Odac, Pure i20, Denon D7000, JVC HA-DX1000

Changing things up again soon.

Newest addition Bottlehead Crack. Not finished yet, adding the speedball soon, and fabbing a custom case.

Current work setup although the Senn 580s are not pictured.
Schiit Asgard, Schiit Bifrost, JDS O2, JDS Odac, Pure i20, Denon D7000, JVC HA-DX1000

Changing things up again soon.

Your really trusting there given it appears you dont have an office door :).

My rig is slightly more hidden at work, but little do folks know I have about 900 in equipment there :).

=p ummm yes it could take awhile if i decided to post "all" my gear..

admit it y'all are jealous of this little $2 bad boy of a source Panasonic SL-S150 portable cd player shown with Pioneer SE-A1000..
(pic snip)

I am. All these newfangled mini players just don't put out like the old cd players.

new (to me... $80 from Guitar Center used DT770 Pro 80 headphones) love them....I may have near enough headphones now as well?

My WA6 came today! Took a week exactly to arrive. They assemble/test to order.

Princess Sophia Box

Princess Sophia Tube

6DR7 Tubes are standard

WA6 is about 20 pounds. Will not be moving from this spot.

Lights Out

My son jammin

Last edited:
Here's my "music room" after some major changes... Over there at the window: System Fidelity CD-250, Ion Systems Obelisk 2 amp, and a pair of Cambridge Audio S70 speakers. The PC sound rig: Onkyo ES 600 Pro surround amp, VT EA 7386s stereo amp, Rogers LS 2a/II nearfield monitors, Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 7 center speaker, behind the monitor there's a Mission 70c1 center speaker acting as a kind-of-sub. Surround speakers: a pair of Gale 4i SE's. In the "guitar corner": VOX AC4 tube guitar amp, a vintage Marantz PM 433 stereo amp, Sony MDS JE 330 minidisc deck, Denon DCD 825 CD player. The pair of speakers on the top are Tannoy Mercury M1's, supporting them are a pair of speakers designed and built by me. And of course the guitars, an Ibanez GIO 170, and a Stagg acoustic.

DSC_0294g by [Geometry Of Shadows] Digital Photography, on Flickr

nice color choice. i like that better than the untreated wood look.

Back