Speaker and Headphone Rigs Picture Thread

Hey Face, when you gonna build me some speakers :).

P.S. got some stuff to post in this thread here in a day or two... some headphones, a mini itx computer source and a nice USB DAC...

Oh yeah!

900x900px-LL-b7ac320a_sierra1ribbon.jpeg

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 with RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeters.

Hello!

Can you comment on how they sound? Have you heard the original sierra-1? Is it worth the upgrade?

My headphone collection, mostly low to mid-end headphones.

o1XM0.jpg
[/IMG]

New HT front end:

http://i.imgur.com/Moiwx1X.jpgIMG]

Speakers are DIY with AE TD10M woofers, SEOS12 Waveguides, DNA-360 compression drivers. Nice dynamics and clarity.[/QUOTE]

Very nice , what are you using for the crossover ?

Made myself a wooden headphone stand using a piece of plywood, a piece of 2x4, a large screw, and some solder. I stained the wood.

I wrapped the solder around the bolt and them smoothed it out with the soldering iron. Although that part is complete, I'd like to smooth it out a little more just to make it look better.

Macro shot of the hanger:
omlNalH.jpg

Full view:
a4nf8CY.jpg

A drop of solder that I left there because it adds character/ghetto jazzyfreshness:
1C28jFO.jpg

My HD598 resting comfortably on it's new throne:
k8ycdpI.jpg

Denon ah-d2000
Custom DHC Cooper cable
Lawton Audio leather ear cups
Lawton Audio Rosewood cups

8886256056_99c7f79b34_o.jpg

8886256046_3c8302e2cc_b.jpg

I need to take some better photos

Just got my Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer to replace my Polk PSW10, hooked up to my PC. Biotic Explosions and Praetorian lasers in Mass Effect 3 can really cut through you now :)

This:

IMG_2091.jpg

Replaces this:
IMG_1925.jpg

In this location:
IMG_1911.jpg

and the rest of it:
IMG_1937.jpg

_MG_1611.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

I've got full 5.1 surround, with two presence speakers to help pull the center channel sound up to the perceived center of the screen.
IMG_0051.JPG

You're going to have a serious lack of midbass with that kind of setup. Those satellites are way too tiny to produce any sorts of lower frequencies at very high sound pressures.

i'm debating what to do with these things here... the headphone output is actually pretty good on this denon

anyways this is a Denon AVR-688 ($25 thriftstore buy..seems to be fully functional (missing remote..where do the god damned remotes always go???? :D) and $5 Teac LS-MC80 bookshelf speaker.

just listening to this today still kinda checking it out while I figure out what i'm going to do with the denon.

options: replace pioneer avr reciever in bedroom, take it to work put it and these mc80s in my office....i thought about putting it on my pc desk as well... cause it sounds really nice..but i'm too attached to my vintage setup (sx-780)

anyways... not sounding bad for a $30 stereo system :D

Sell them forward for a profit or do A/B comparison to figure out which one you like more in your daily setup.

The only nasty thing about vintage gear is that amps are full of capacitors that degrade with time. So any 10+ year old amp should be checked by a professional and at 20 year mark they usually start to have caps go completely bad. Worst case scenario they blow and fry something, best case scenario the caps start to operate out of spec and cause colorations to the sound.

I would personally love to have vintage Mark Levinson power amplifiers second hand but it would just cost an arm and a leg to have all the caps redone.

maybe i'll pair it with the $15 Sony C75ES changer i got last week... and my $40 JBL L1s and blow y'all freaking minds with my $25+15+40=$80 hifi :)

A bigger screen wouldn't hurt either :p

Really, you can get 60" panels for cheap these days.

Yeah but I'm kinda anal about noise. In fact I spent $1500 on this 32" TV because it was the flagship at its size by LG. Two main issues arrise from cheap TVs

1) cheap power supplies, caps, and power supplies are not tied down with mass, so they are pretty noisy especially if you plan to use it as a computer monitor and sit 3-4 feet away. I returned Samsung, Sony, Hitachi, etc, a total of 6 other TVs before I settled on the LG. The others all had terrible coil whine or power supply noise that was audible several feet away. In fact I went through 3 different LG TVs that were a tier or two below the one I have and thought they were all defective with noisy power supplies until I realized the higher tier product cost more for a reason--just better components and more effort went into its manufacture.

and 2) lack of connections, especially legacy ones, unless you, again, spring for a $2000 TV.

Last edited:
Wow I haven't heard coil whine in TV:s since the old tube tv:s disappeared.

Either you have much better ears than me or the US models are more sensitive to this due to 120V mains versus 240V here in EU.

Some really ugly pics of my net setup. Still a bit messy.

Essentially, I took a 5.1 system and converted it into a powerful 2.1.

I use my Boston Acoustics 7120 as a pre-amp into an Onkyo 4 channel analogue receiver/amp. I run 4 speakers in stereo. So the top part of the speaker is a bookshelf with a single 6" driver and the bottom is a center channel with two 6" drivers. I tilt the top speakers forward and down a bit with a vibropod in the middle back b/w the two speakers. The front is also damped and slightly separated from the other by some weather stripping foam. So all of the tweeters are angled at my ears. Result is pretty fantastic. Very well defined sound stage and powerful and dynamic as any movie theater.

I keep the electronics below the speakers as they tend to cause some issues with the sound bouncing off them otherwise. Nothing major but it helps.

Speakers are the now defunct thespeakercompany. Basically, they are boston acoustic entry level speakers. I think that I paid $400 total for 3 center channel, 2 bookshelf and their nice 10" subwoofer.

moved stuff around (even bigger speakers on my desk now)

sooo much stuff :

Let's see JBL L1s / Optimus Pro X5 / B&W V202 (speakers) // Hitachi PS-48 TT // Pioneer SX-780 , SA-710 on shelf by pc SP-700D and Elan Z660 power amp

img2552qt.jpg

edit and a polk PSW10 sub down there.

So what do you do on your 30th birthday... You re-organize your setup for the last time.

This setup is the most compromised setup in regards to speaker cable runs so I will be making some of my own DIY cables using Audioquest FLX 14/4 wire paired down to 11 gauge for each binding post. Still unsure what IC's I will be going with, Douglas Connection or Kimber Kable PB&J's. Either way the longest IC run is actually from the Harman Kardon Citation 11 pre-amp to my Sunfire TGP-II and I will be going with Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's or the Audioquest Sidewinders on sale (14 footers).

Here is the gear actually connected:

Sources:
Denon 3910 via RCA
Computer via Meridian Explorer (3.5mm to dual RCA)
TT via Harman Kardon Citation 11

Pre-amp: Sunfire TGP-II

Amp: NAD 2600 (on loan from IndyHawg)
Fisher 460t tube amp (in need of repair)
Carver M1.0t (in need of repair and going in the main HT when working)

Speakers: Polk RTA 11TL's (stock) with Meniscus Audio spikes

Headphones (not pictured): Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 ohms
Secondary headphone amp (not pictured) Audio GD NFB-5

Speaker Wires: Partially Oxidized Monoprice
Speaker IC's: Radio Shack till replaced

I will get better pics when I get some time, these were just shot quick so I can get to bed..

Yep, I bet they sound great.

Oh trust me they do. Even better on tubes, but my tube amp is down right now :mad:.

I bought them because they have the same 6.5's and tweeters as Polk SDA's and also have 2 8" passives that let these babies dig quite deep for music.

And the Sunfire TGP has Sonic Holigraphy which is similar to the SDA effect which is good because my room is too small for SDA's....

Do I see Lindsey Stirling? Crystallize sounds AWESOME on some Vsonic GR07 MK2's.

Yup, she sounds great with two passive 8" woofers. These babies dig deep.

Crystal Method, Lindsey Stirling, Nero, Massive Attack, Skrillex...... yeah... dubstep loves these babies!

Wow a Sunfire Theater Grand. Nice! I remember when Bob Carver had his sonic holography technology with the products of his previous company Carver. The guy made some amazing tech back in the Phase Linear days, through Carver and now at Sunfire. Wish I could afford to buy his equipment. But then I wouldn't even know where to put it. :p

@spaceman: Nice! TheSpeakerCompany was such a nice place to get good speakers for a great value. To bad they went out of business.

Edit: Everyone has such nice gear. I would post mine except I have nothing new to post. :(

Last edited:
Wow a Sunfire Theater Grand. Nice! I remember when Bob Carver had his sonic holography technology with the products of his previous company Carver. The guy made some amazing tech back in the Phase Linear days, through Carver and now at Sunfire. Wish I could afford to buy his equipment. But then I wouldn't even know where to put it. :p :(

Yup, for video its VERY outdated. As a pure pre-amp its still pretty sweet. Paid 240 for that TGP-II earlier this year after it was went through and refitted to last forever, all gear you see in that pic the TGP was the most expensive. Everything else in the rack was 100 or under per item.

Wow a Sunfire Theater Grand. Nice! I remember when Bob Carver had his sonic holography technology with the products of his previous company Carver. The guy made some amazing tech back in the Phase Linear days, through Carver and now at Sunfire. Wish I could afford to buy his equipment. But then I wouldn't even know where to put it. :p:(

Emotiva now owns Bob Carver's company. So maybe they'll make some of his stuff more affordable now.

http://www.cepro.com/article/internet-direct_manufacturer_emotiva_to_acquire_bob_carver_llc

Yup, for video its VERY outdated. As a pure pre-amp its still pretty sweet. Paid 240 for that TGP-II earlier this year after it was went through and refitted to last forever, all gear you see in that pic the TGP was the most expensive. Everything else in the rack was 100 or under per item.

When Carver made the holographic sound technology, surround sound was not really a mainstream thing even in theaters. I don't think it was really ever made to work with video. The purpose of the holographic sound was to mimic a concert hall environment in your listening room. The rear speaker was only there to give a delayed echo effect on the sound coming out of the front speakers. In this way, the sound helped open up a small room and make it sound like a bigger concert hall.

However, it wasn't made to provide 3D like sound where you hear different sounds coming out of the rear speakers of things going on in the background of a movie scene.

I remember Carver's company and another company named Scientific Audio Electronics (SAE) did a lot of tinkering for holographic sound.

btw does the amp even have HDMI output for video or game consoles? It would be pretty funny to hook up an X Box to something like the Theater Grand since its such an esoteric audio product.

Back