Speaker and Headphone Rigs Picture Thread

I just finished setting up a new vintage vinyl audio rig.

It consists of
-Technics SA-5460 Stereo Reciever (65WPC, solid state)
-Technics SL-1400 Turntable (semi-automatic, direct drive, Audio Technica AT-110e cart)
-Custom floor speakers my dad had made by a pro sound guy in 1982. I pulled them out of the furnace room, reformed them and they sound fantastic.

Pics: (yes, I know something is wrong with the lens)

I paid for this in May and finally received it not long ago.

ps1k_1.jpg

ps1k_2.jpg

Using my old Stax headphone stand
ps1k_4.jpg

Right now I'm only driving the headphones straight from the lineout of my Monarchy NM24 DAC, which I know is far from ideal. But since I am saving up for my end of year trip, I won't be getting a proper amp for these headphones until next year.

For now, my first impression of the PS-1000 compared to my old Stax SR-007A is that, in terms of clarity, details and comfort, SR-007A wins. I like the bass on the PS-1000 better, but that's pretty much the only thing about it that I prefer over the SR-007A. My ears get fatigue after only listening to the PS-1000 for about 20 minutes, whereas I can listen to the SR-007A for 2 hours without getting tired. I am hoping that the PS-1000 will improve after burn-in, or whenever I manage to get an amp for it.

I went down to Minneapolis for a couple of days this week with my girlfriend for back to school stuff. While there I stopped at a hi-fi shop called Audio Perfection. They're the only show room in the world to have Magnepan's available for demo. I'd been there a couple months previous looking at some speakers and they told me to not even consider the MMGs and go straight to the MG12s. I was absolutely floored by the soundstage and detail the MG12s offered. I didn't listen to the MMGs that day, and always wondered what they sounded like. I listened to them and was equally as floored as I was with the MG12s. I decided at that instant that these were the speakers I must have. Unfortunately, they are priced at $600 which is currently beyond my budget (and they don't make any money on them so they couldn't give me a discount). I'm going to save for a few more weeks and pick up the MMGs. In the meantime I wanted to be able to listen to music, so I picked up a pair of Insignia speakers at Best Buy (where I work) for half off retail (my discount on these). They have 6.5" carbon fiber drivers and are made very well. They're light on bass and aren't real detailed, but they'll do for a couple weeks. I also got some Ultimate speaker stands and filled them up with sand. I added all Monster interconnects and speaker wires with banana plugs (I get a good discount on these). Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to work on the acoustics in my room as well (throw rugs, treatments on the walls, etc.). Here's my setup as it looks now (please note we're having a power issue at my house so I'm running an extension cord from one end of my room to the other. It's a brand new house...):

IMG_6574.jpg

Here's mine... 2x ¡JBL E30 bookshelves and 10" sealed alpine type R powered by the amp on my sharp NX10 minisystem and a 150 watt plate sub amp. Input is from my chaintech av-710 (wish they still made it!!)

thedesk.jpg

Finally I get to post in this thread!

I am new to the 5.1 scene, and as a college student, I take what i can get.

IMG_0142.jpg

Xfi xtremegamer pushing 5.1 into a Kenwood VR-615 600W receiver. It actually sounds great IMO. This unit is somewhat unique as it has a 100W sub amp built in. great lows and, more importantly, cheap!

IMG_0136.jpg

Front Speakers + Sub are DLK branded. Speakers are from Shaak Electronics (MN Electronics Store) from the 70's and are almost twice as old as I am ;)

IMG_0127-1.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Center is a JBL G-Movie.. It gets the job done.. for now.

Rears are KLH 911B's.. Same deal as the center.. gets the job done. Actually i think they sound ok for cheap speakers.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0133-1.jpg

I built the stands as cheap as possible! :)

Thanks for a great topic and a kick-ass forum!

-ToMMyGuN

Last edited:
Here's my PC speaker setup. I use it for general computing, including work, but still like to have decent audio. It is not meant to be a home theater setup but BluRay's are still pretty impressive if you sit in front of the 27" monitor because the 5.1 high definition surround sound is quite effective with the speakers that close to you.

The centre speaker, a Tannoy Mercury FC, is just below the monitor and the two front speakers, which are resting on anti-vibe silicon feet, are to the left and right. The two rear surround speakers are mounted on a couple of stands. The bookshelves, all Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom's, might look tiny in the picture, perhaps because the monitor takes up so much space and the camera angle, but they weigh about 9 pounds each and are about 1 foot tall while the centre weighs close to 12 pounds.

If you look closely, you'll see the subwoofer to the left and the 5.1 class T (i.e. D) amplifier just behind the phone. I've attached a couple of better pictures. (Ok the blue carpet and mahogany wood colour combo is a bit odd, but it's just my PC room - I'll sort it out one day.)
IMGP0206.jpg

Here's my DIY 5.1 Class T amplifier. It might look small and the wattage low, but it is plenty loud and far superior to the (supposedly more powerful) logitech Z-5500 5.1 amp when I used it to power my Tannoy speakers. It was built as a direct result of a discussion on this forum here with the appropriate customizations/improvements. I'm rather happy with it as it sounds fine and I probably saved quite a bit of cash as it meant I avoided having to buy a decent 5.1 receiver.
IMGP0181.jpg

Here's my subwoofer. I went with the Tannoy TS10 rather than something more powerful, such as the TS12, because I wanted something relatively compact and that doesn't overpower the room. And I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Given it's size, I find it quite effective at producing bass (for me anyway).
IMGP0180.jpg

I have a pair of these in my bedroom of my new apartment that I recently moved into:

1543d574.jpg

They are Monitor Audio RS1's powered by a Marantz SR7500 receiver and Marantz DV7600 DVD/CD player. I will post pictures soon of my entire setup in the current format: the main problem is I'm still unpacking!

Mine:

rig.jpg

The speakers in view are SVS MTS-01 towers, an SVS MCS-01 center, and an SVS 20-39 PC+. The receiver is a Denon 3808CI, the unit next to it is a Rotel RB-1050 amp, which handles the front speakers.

Not pictured are the B&W 601S2 rear speakers, because I can't go far enough back in the room to get them in frame.

Just got my Wharfedale's today:

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6755.jpg

It's a great sounding setup (I'll judge when the speakers are broken in). I'm a freshmen in college, by the way.

ALAC/FLAC -> Foobar2000 -> Fubar II USB DAC -> Onix SP3 MKII Integrated Amp (6L6GC SED + Mullard 12AX7) -> Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

OK, I'll bite. Just sold my 8-month old Logitech Z-4's to the old roommate for $80, so I moved my living room setup into my bedroom and purchased a new receiver and subwoofer. What you see is a Onkyo SR500 connected to my Shuttle via Toslink powering a pair of Energy C-100's. The printer is raised up on cut Pink Pearl erasers so the receiver can breathe. This is just temporary, in two weeks I'll have a Harman Kardon AVR 135 and will move the space heater back into the living room. I just purchased an Energy ESW-V8 tonight, and in a week it will sit behind me. Yes, my desk usually that clean, and I still have more than enough space to work on homework and write papers with.

img5048vn.jpg

Work in progress on my new class T setup. Firestone Audio Fubar III feeding a Sure Electronics TC2000/TP2050 board powered by a Power-One CP162-A linear power supply that just arrived yesterday (vintage 1986). Need to make a case for the amp, probably a separate case for the power supply (probably going to go down on the floor).

IMGP2843.jpg

I would appear to be falling down the slippery slope faster than I thought I was...

Nothing majorly special - but it sounds decent:

IMG_4756.jpg

Panasonic 1000W 5.1 channel DD/DTS receiver
Panasonic center speaker
Sony front L+R floorstanding speakers
Panasonic subwoofer

Not pictured are the Panasonic front L+R satellite speakers and the Panasonic rear L+R surround speakers (wall mounted)

PC is connected to the receiver through optical S/PDIF from my Creative X-Fi Platinum sound card/front panel.

Infinity Beta 50's up front
Infinity Beta C360 under TV
Infinity Beta 10's Surrounds
Elemental Designs (eD) Subwoofer A2-300
Harman Kardon AVR 247 Reciever

img0347e.jpg

Subwoofer and Windows Home Server hiding to the left of the TV / Front Speakers (Actually best placement for the sub too)
img0963r.jpg

Sadly my money is currently tied up in the pro audio world. Heres my humble beginnings of the PC environment.

IMG_1265800x600.jpg

IMG_1258800x600.jpg

IMG_1251800x600.jpg

Mackie MR5's
Mackie 1402VLZ3
Celestion CSW
Bluegears B-Inspirer
Sennheiser HD600's

Not planning on anything bigger as for right now these are clean enough until the studio is done. Still waiting to pickup a new 44key Yamaha keyboard and a Roland electro drum kit for playing with recording gear.

Mini studio.

Post rock/Electro

Creative XFI
Sony STR DE695 | soon to be replaced
Celestion 15i's | at the front
Cerwin Vega VE8's | at the back for chilling and final listening
Gale Storm | to take 75hz and below

Sennheiser HD25 mkII | Studio
AKG K 518 LE | Portable
Sony MDR-RF800 | Wireless, soon to be replaced
Sony MDR-V150 | For crap headphone testing

Alesis 8 Channel Mixer | soon to be replaced
Alesis IO2 | 24bit interface
AKG C3000B | Condenser mic
Fender Champion | Valve amp

Korg EMX
Korg Micro Korg
Korg Kaoss Mini

Gould thin bodied Les Paul replica | Guitar, 2 x Humbucker, 1 without cover
Boss Space Echo | Roland RE-20 reverb/echo/repeat pedal
E-Bow | Electronic guitar bow
A large selection of pedals including overdrive, distortion, phase, chorus, pitch shift, flanger, compression sustainer.

I use Ableton Live 8 Suite.

6823_149993363555_627468555_2578542_962637_n.jpg

6823_150009213555_627468555_2578610_580034_n.jpg

6823_150002203555_627468555_2578576_4412546_n.jpg

6823_149993348555_627468555_2578540_6717769_n.jpg

6823_149998188555_627468555_2578566_2462181_n.jpg

6823_149993338555_627468555_2578538_5607812_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my Sennheiser HD 555's today. Took a few quick photos in comparison to my Audio-Technica ATH-AD700's.

They are much smaller, and the fit is more snug which I like cause the AD700's always feel like they can fall off at any moment. I can't wait to hear what they have to offer :D

3995640817_5862cdd0b1.jpg
3996401326_36069d0365.jpg

I recently decided to trade out my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's for some real (bookshelf) speakers. I wanted to stay with a 2.0/2.1 set up since I don't have room (or the desk) for 4.1 or 5.1 and I didn't want the equipment options to get too complicated.

Based partly on the Guru3d review and general positive feed back on various forums I decided the Gizmo would be a good fit for my needs.

Choosing the speakers took a little longer since there were so many choices within my price range each offering just as many strengths and weaknesses. Again I played it safe, went with various forum feedback, and found myself very attracted to the Ascend CBM-170 SE's.

NewSetUp.jpg

GizmoComparison.jpg

SpeakerFront.jpg

SpeakerBack.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I finally retired my old faithful Aiwa shelf system and now use my shiny new (old) Marantz 4415 for my main computer audio. The Technics below it is hooked to a pair of Infinity Qb Speakers for when I want to just listen to music or use the Turntable.

Here is my current PC music setup,

Consisting of powered monitors from Genelec,Focal and Dynaudio. Headphones from Grado,Shure,Klipsch,Sennheiser,AKG and Denon.

Sound card not in pic RME Fireface 400, MOTU 828mk3 sound cards.PC is a Intel i5 750/8GB(4x2GB)RAM/Crucial SSD 256GB x 2, ASUS ATI 4890 VT ,PCP&C Silencer 910W, Win7 Ultimate 64BIT.

Not in pic JL Audio F113,Paradigm Seismic 12 and Sunfire Signature subs.

Room is treated with acoustic panels and padded where needed.Even the computer case is

IMG_3596.jpg

Energy C200 speakers, Pioneer Elite A35R integrated amp, premier acoustic PA-120 subwoofer with a Dayton amp and M-AUDIO - Audiophile 2496 soundcard

I need a different table :/

The speakers are the right/rear right satellites from the Pioneer 5.1 home theater package for Xbox360 (don't have an xbox 360 though) that I stack on top of each other for a 3.1 set up.

Audio Technica ath-a900 headphones with a EF2 usb dac/tube amp

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My system has changed locations from where it was previously. The system is absolutely bliss. I'm going to work on acoustics a bit, but right now the setup is just how I like it. The computer will soon be replaced with a Squeezebox Touch and go back to serving its purpose as a media center PC. I'm also going to get a better CD player (likely a Marantz as I've heard them before and favored their sound over others). My system costs $2,600 retail and I paid a little over $1k for everything pictured. The rug was my parents' that they weren't using, the component holder and chair are from Ikea, and the table next to my chair is an antique that my parents had that wasn't being used.

ALAC/FLAC via Foobar2000
Fubar II USB DAC
Onix SP3 MKII Integrated Amp (6L6GC SED + Mullard 12AX7)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7773.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

Travagan's Green -> JH Audio JH13 Pro / Grado HF2 / Infinity Primus P152

Only have the JH13s on-hand (at home for Thanksgiving break):

13remold.jpg

The P152s are on their way out along with a vintage Denon DRA-425R since the JH13s do everything better (in fact they do everything better than anything I've ever heard except for a high-end Stax Omega 2 MKI set-up).

speakers: logitech z-5500 that i wanna replace with just a pair of decent bookshelf speakers
headphones: just some audio technica ad-700 running through an old yamaha rx-v795 that i decided to hook up yesterday or the day before to see if i could hear any difference (i can't).
poo1o.jpg

poo2.jpg

My current rig away from home.
P1000347.jpg

Setup is Foobar2000 - USB-WASAPI - Compass - D2000

The Dac-amp is a Audio-gd Compass. I sold the Audio-technica a700 a while ago, so I only use the Denon AH-D2000 now.

Back