Speaker and Headphone Rigs Discussion

Anyone have experience with HSU's bookshelf HB-1 MK2 and/or center HC-1 MK2 speakers? I'm thinking of replacing my AV123 x-series with a set of these HSU speakers and an HSU subwoofer.

Wow Fraksurred, I liked your previous setup but now it looks amazing. Absolutely amazing!

+1 Fraksurred!! I just started looking at those M22 bookshelves and am thinking about auditioning a pair before I try the ELT525.

Well thank you gentlemen, much appreciated. :) I'm looking forward to getting the thing DONE, it's been over a year since I started this project, lol.

Did your VTF-2 arrive yet? It looks like it did from your sig. How does it sound? I <3 my budget STF-1. The VTF-2 must sound amazing.

Just got Andy Hunter's Exodus CD. "Go" sounded Amazing with the sub! Brought back memories of SSX3. :D:D

Edit: Still waiting for CaliGirl and Mr. Wolf to post their new setups.

My speaker choice has changed. I went with a PSB setup and ordered a pair of B25 bookshelves and a C40 center. I'll still post pics when everything arrives.

Not yet. I may have a good buy on a Velodyne DEQ-12R. If it is all they say it is, it may come home with me and the VTF-2 go back. :eek:

Thoughts?

I like your setup! :)

Have you considered the Rythmik subs?

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

or you can pick up certain models from

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/subintro.html

or you can check out Epik Vanquish if size is a consideration

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/sealedvanquish.html

I have experience with a few models from HSU (STF1, VTF1 and VTF2) I currently own

2 Rhythmik F12's and 1 VTF1. Both companies offer great products and exceptional customer service. Never owned an Epik sub but I hear good things.

I'll snap a pic one day
Currently I have this setup for my HT

Paradigm CC-170 Center
Paradigm 7seMK3 Fronts
Paradigm Micro v2 rears
Real 8" Sub
Denon AVR-789

=) I love it, for my PC I have 2 old panasonic bookshelfs, good enough for now
and I also use a set of Audio Technica ADA500, and a set of Senns HD520II

I like your setup! :)

Have you considered the Rythmik subs?

*snip*

Thanks for the heads up Biz! I've not heard of any of those brands (apart from HSU), but I will look into them.

I did talk to a local dealer yesterday about a Velodyne DEQ-12R. I used to work for him and he quoted me a price I could not pass up. The catch is he will not have any more in stock for 10-14 days. Bummer, but for what I'll save it's worth it. It was tempting to follow through with the HSU, but the Velodyne is arguable a better sub, less money and I was actually able to audition it rather then going purely off of reviews. I'd still like to hear a VTF, but I'll have to find a friend with one... or pick one up if I ever move the Velo into an HT. :D

Rhythmik I hear is a great sub. Ascend seems to sell wonderful speakers in general. I didn't realize it was a separate company though.

Lots of good subs on the market, SVS, HSU, Velodyne, Rhythmik, Outlaw, Energy, Elemental Design, Martin Logan, BIC just to name a few. And if money is no object, I hear the JL subs are fantastic. They also will give you a hernia if you try to carry them around.

It sounds like you got a wonderful sub with the Velodyne. That setup sounds wonderful. Tell us how the whole thing sounds once you put the whole thing together.

Holy cow, the Martin Logan Depth and the REL Studio III are world class, award winning subs in a category all their own. I got to hear a ML Grotto once, run off a Classe amp, I thought my ear drums were going to rupture, lol. The velo will suit my application just fine.

--

On a seperate note, extremely clean and simple setup Mr. B. Very nicely done.

Hanif, the setup looks great. Its seems you decided on the Polks. Looks like a nice pair of speakers. Hope you are enjoying your setup. Thanks for the post.

Holy cow, the Martin Logan Depth and the REL Studio III are world class, award winning subs in a category all their own. I got to hear a ML Grotto once, run off a Classe amp, I thought my ear drums were going to rupture, lol. The velo will suit my application just fine.

--

On a seperate note, extremely clean and simple setup Mr. B. Very nicely done.

Did you finish your system yet? It looks amazing so far from the pictures you shared. I was also thinking of a similar Axiom setup, but went with Paradigm instead because I had a chance to hear them. I never posted any picture because I was too busy enjoying them, but I think I might this weekend.

I acutally upgraded twice already, not due to displeasure with the sound in anyway, but I just liked the way the bigger speakers looked next to my 52 inch LCD. I now have floorstanders in the front, and Titan bookshelves in the back.

I'm following this guide: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203 to make some nice looking speaker wires this weekend. Monoprice should deliver most of what I need this Friday, and my order from parts-express arrived in one day.

Keep us updated man, your system looks killer.

Great looking pair of Paradigms, Canada! What kind of headphones are atop the receiver?

paradigms rock indeed! do you have a subwoofer to go along with that CanadaOwnsJoo?

not yet, ill see if i miss the extra bass first, ill probably end up getting an 8" or something small for filling in

Did you finish your system yet?

Keep us updated man, your system looks killer.

Thank you! Unfortunately it is not done yet. I got a steal of a deal on a Velodyne DEQ-12R from a local vendor I used to work for. They said the catch was I'd have to wait two weeks for it. For the price they gave me I couldn't pass it up. The problem is they are now back ordered, so I don't know when it is going to come in. I have my center and surrounds just sitting off to the side waiting for me to be able to plug the entire 5.1 into my Marantz. It's driving me CRAZYYY! If the buy wasn't so good, I'd of nabbed the HSU already... *sigh* I hope to have updated pics and impressions soon. Thanks for the compliments btw. Looking forward to seeing your Paradigms!

Ah bummer. Waiting for one part is so hard when everything else is ready to go. I am waiting on my front left and right at the moment, so I feel your pain

My dealer was out of the black color in the speakers I chose. They said it would take a week for them to get here, but when I called up, it appears that shipping has been delayed a few days. I'm hoping to get the rest by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

What type of speaker wire are you planning on using? Are you terminating the ends with any type of hardware? I decided on Bananas for the AVR and speaker ends, but I'm waiting for the rest of my setup to arrive before I fire it up. I'm hoping the cables I made work alright. They sure do look hot though.

That is a bummer. I'm sure it will be worth the wait for the both of us, but it still sucks, lol.

What type of speaker wire are you planning on using?

I bought some bulk Audioquest FLX 16/2 from the vendor I mentioned. I'm going to run as much of my wiring in-wall as I can, so I wanted CL3 approved wire. I'll be using banana plugs as well for their quick disconnect conveniences. Love those things!

Here's hoping our parts show up soon... *raises glass of orange juice* ;)

Thats cool. I was thinking of buying some Audioquest type 8 cables, they are the ones fully finished/terminated by Audioquest. They are $400 retail maybe, but there was a guy selling them for $100 near where I live.

I ended up just sticking with my Monoprice 12 awg wire because that was only $20 for 100 ft. That should give me some extra money to move towards a larger center channel this weekend. I read all the warnings about people's addictions to buying audio gear and thought I would control myself. Oh well, what can you do? Looks like my floorstanders arrived today, just need to pick them up once I get out of the office. Then this weekend I'm moving the center channel up to the Paradigm CC-390

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/centers-monitor-cc390-model-3-4-1-54.paradigm

Wow, that's a heckofa center channel. MASSIVE! Ought to be impressive though.

--

I think you'll be just fine with your 12 awg from monoprice. The only time I've actually heard a difference using "high end" wire was on a $40k+ Classe / Martin Logan setup in a customer's home. He moved from AQ's FLX/4 to Diamondbacks (discontinued now). The difference was extremely subtle.

Still checking my email every day for news of my sub.
army2.gif
Soon I hope.

Wowowow. Franksurred, your setup is sexy as sin. I am wondering if the mid-bass issue of the Axiom is a crossover issue. Your Velodyne just looks wonderful. I would love to get a listen to your setup. Thanks for the post.

Oh and change your sig (Fire) from Hsu to Velodyne. ;)

Wowowow. Franksurred, your setup is sexy as sin. I am wondering if the mid-bass issue of the Axiom is a crossover issue. Your Velodyne just looks wonderful. I would love to get a listen to your setup. Thanks for the post.

Oh and change your sig (Fire) from Hsu to Velodyne. ;)

Thank you! ...and thank you, lol. Correction made. ;)

It's looking good Frrak, thats a lot of nice hardware in one spot. Glad you finally got your sub, that was a brutal wait, but I'm sure it's more than worth it.

Speaking of waiting, I finally got my new center channel, the CC-390. It is 61 lbs and just about as long as my 52 in LCD! Holy crap. I need a new stand now.

Calvieee: Love your Sierras!! What receiver/amp are you using with them?

Calvieee, Yeah ditto what Mr Wolf said. Those are the Sierras in the new finish are they not? They look beautiful and paired with the Rhythmic I bet they sound wonderful!

Thanks for posting your setup.

Yes Wolf&Zenshi, they are the new Espresso color Sierra1. I am running them on my Onkyo 606. This is in my small bedroom. 14x11 i would guess. I still have the axiom vp100 center along with the Qs4 surround. I will replace the center for sure. They sound wonderful along with my rythmik F15 sub.

Man Mr. Wolf your new upgrade looks wonderful. How do you like those bookshelves. They look great. The SVS must kick some good B - *SS!

Thanks for the post

Thanks for the props, Zenshi! I'm loving the new rig. The PSBs are great. I'm hearing a lot of detail that I missed with my previous x-ls Encores. The SVS sub is just amazing. It's like having my own personal earthquake/thunderstorm generator. The Marantz is a beast, too. Much better than my Denon AVR-988 for music, games, HDTV, videos, etc. :)

Thanks for the props, Zenshi! I'm loving the new rig. The PSBs are great. I'm hearing a lot of detail that I missed with my previous x-ls Encores. The SVS sub is just amazing. It's like having my own personal earthquake/thunderstorm generator. The Marantz is a beast, too. Much better than my Denon AVR-988 for music, games, HDTV, videos, etc. :)

You might want to isolate that sub from the floor with a subdude, though from the pads under the speakers you might have already thought of that;)

You might want to isolate that sub from the floor with a subdude, though from the pads under the speakers you might have already thought of that;)
The sub has some built-in feet that raise it about a half-inch off the floor, though it's hard to tell from the pics.

Crazyjeeper: I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!!! Vintage setup, FTW!! Those turntables bring back memories of my broadcasting training. Congrats, man!

Back