Speaker and Headphone Rigs Discussion

it should all be one thread --- fucking chaos trying to separate the picture and discussion threads.

idiotic, imho....confuses everyone and is a pain to respond since you cant quote the image.

I kinda agree but I find it's more annoying that this thread is not stickied.

I agree with Syn. Why even have a discussion thread if its not conjoined with the gallery? I am not aware of any other gallery in [H] that implements two threads. The 'post your rigs' thread does not allow comments, which is fair, but it also does not have a parallel discussion thread. If someone has a question or wants to comment, PM is the way.

I dont understand how people can bitch about a 'picture only' thread when all the gallery threads on [H] with the exception of one functions rather well without any complaint. The audio forum is a rather small forum relative to other far busier forums, so I cant imagine the thread getting that much out of control.

If there's a way to implement the code syn is referring to, that would be best.

my place is tiny but i squeeze as much as possible in:

computer desk / near-field setup (as much absorption as i can fit around it
I thought your rig was an office/work setup until I saw the other pics. Beautiful place you've got. I sense a fellow loft owner! :D

I thought your rig was an office/work setup until I saw the other pics. Beautiful place you've got. I sense a fellow loft owner! :D

yeah, but it's only a studio loft - not a full blown proper one.
need a house with a basement, though - having neighbors and common walls is for the birds :(

yeah, but it's only a studio loft - not a full blown proper one.
need a house with a basement, though - having neighbors and common walls is for the birds :(
Depends on your neighbors. My place is about 1900 sq.ft. on the top floor. To my left is a former pro football player (SF 49ers). He travels a lot. Below me are a couple of sexy Singapore Air flight attendants. They're "ladies ladies" if you catch my drift, but are very friendly and throw great parties. I'll take these neighbors over mowing the lawn, raking leaves, cleaning gutters, etc. any time. :D

I guess my biggest issue with having the comment and pic thread separate is that I have to constantly go back and forth between the two threads. If someone says "wow your setup looks great, what is that poster up on the left?", I have to go back to the pic thread to actually look for the pic that is being mentioned, then come back to the comment thread to read the response. This back and forth just becomes really tiring.

^same - which is why i brought it up.

let's just merge, or steal genmay.com's code so the image is thumbnailed when quoting
or just set a damn image size rule....

I guess my biggest issue with having the comment and pic thread separate is that I have to constantly go back and forth between the two threads. If someone says "wow your setup looks great, what is that poster up on the left?", I have to go back to the pic thread to actually look for the pic that is being mentioned, then come back to the comment thread to read the response. This back and forth just becomes really tiring.

this is easy.. just post in the comments thread. The main picture thread is your area for pictures. If you change audio setups often, just update your post in the picture thread.

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

internet. serious business only.

Last edited:
I will get the HD800 or T1. I taking gaming audio vary serious.

howdie... I wonder why there is so many headophiles over here at hardforum? Maybe more natural getting into headphones coming from a computer rather then home theater systems?

howdie... I wonder why there is so many headophiles over here at hardforum? Maybe more natural getting into headphones coming from a computer rather then home theater systems?

computer setup, gaming setup, etc...that and they probably dont have the real estate for home theater systems (e.g. many people crammed in dorm rooms or small bedrooms).

demographics.

this is easy.. just post in the comments thread. The main picture thread is your area for pictures. If you change audio setups often, just update your post in the picture thread.

No. This whole separate comment, picture thread thing is stupid. But all the audio mods are invested in it now so they don't want to admit that the idea was stupid to begin with.

Oh and yes I know you are a moderator on here, sorry but the truth hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
the mod of the AT headphone looks great.
i did a similar thing not long ago, but not with this level of engineering.
any worklog pics available.

No. This whole separate comment, picture thread thing is stupid. But all the audio mods are invested in it now so they don't want to admit that the idea was stupid to begin with.

yep - he even gave me an infraction for it.
sometimes people just can't admit when an idea isn't working out and dig their heels in ... only to make things worse and see members flee.

yep - he even gave me an infraction for it.
sometimes people just can't admit when an idea isn't working out and dig their heels in ... only to make things worse and see members flee.

just to be clear. I didn't give you an infraction, I didn't even send the original alert. It looks like other mods agree with me and crapping in the picture thread is not going to be tolerated. If you have a issue with it then talk to the other members... it wasn't my decision but I think it was better than the thread we had before with pages and pages of no pictures. Who has to clean those threads? Not you.

If you would like me to give you an infraction, that can be arranged.

Now I am tired of discussing this ad nauseum.. I will delete O/T posts from now on. Long time members on here know I let people say what they want to say and we have only ONE thread with rules with BIG RED LETTERS. If you don't want to follow it, don't crap in it for the others.

Last edited:

You must have not been around here long cause it wasn't my decision as I stated how many times now? And if you have an issue with it PM me and quit crapping in the thread.

You want the truth is we have some members who can't read or follow rules.

Last edited:
just to be clear. I didn't give you an infraction, I didn't even send the original alert. It looks like other mods agree with me and crapping in the picture thread is not going to be tolerated. If you have a issue with it then talk to the other members... it wasn't my decision but I think it was better than the thread we had before with pages and pages of no pictures. Who has to clean those threads? Not you.

If you would like me to give you an infraction, that can be arranged.

Now I am tired of discussing this ad nauseum.. I will delete O/T posts from now on. Long time members on here know I let people say what they want to say and we have only ONE thread with rules with BIG RED LETTERS. If you don't want to follow it, don't crap in it for the others.

actually, we weren't crapping in the picture thread - it was a legit conversation regarding quadratic residue differsers and primitive root diffusers.

i dont need your threats regarding infractions.

You must have not been around here long cause it wasn't my decision as I stated how many times now? And if you have an issue with it PM me and quit crapping in the thread.

Not been around here long? As is clearly stated on the top right hand corner of each post, I have been here since 2004. Maybe 7 years is not a long time by your 2000, standards, but I would hardly think it was something to scoff at.

Now with that said, I have never posted comments in the picture only thread, but am happy to give my opinion that I have never liked the rule. That is simply my opinion and I do not think the rule was well thought out.

I understand the reasoning for it, but it's not working very well. I think a good compromise would be some way to link threads so that when you quote or reply to a picture in the thread it automatically posts in the conversation thread. As has been pointed out by others there are other forums where they have made this work. Anyway, I think it is worth considering or looking into.

Not been around here long? As is clearly stated on the top right hand corner of each post, I have been here since 2004. Maybe 7 years is not a long time by your 2000, standards, but I would hardly think it was something to scoff at.

Now with that said, I have never posted comments in the picture only thread, but am happy to give my opinion that I have never liked the rule. That is simply my opinion and I do not think the rule was well thought out.

I understand the reasoning for it, but it's not working very well. I think a good compromise would be some way to link threads so that when you quote or reply to a picture in the thread it automatically posts in the conversation thread. As has been pointed out by others there are other forums where they have made this work. Anyway, I think it is worth considering or looking into.

pm'd

seriously - im not trying to be an ass but i really don't feel like contributing much here because of the idiodic rules.

is there any way you guys could allow posting in the photo thread, but implement the changes like on genmay so when someone quotes a photo it auto-thumbnails it?

e.g. like in this thread (note how quoted images are thumbnailed)...wouldnt that solve everything?
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=803179&page=18

look at that --- tons of photos, tons of discussion, a LIVELY thread ... NOT one that gets two new posts a week. bleh.

there is absolutely NO reason not to have discussion in the photo thread. it takes so much additional work to copy the image source and open ANOTHER THREAD and format and post your comment/questinon in there --- that im sure a hell of a lot people dont even bother commenting because it's so much damn work.

let users take the path of least resistance and get some fuking action in this sub forum / stir some discussion.

I am bumping this just so that people know where to comment on the speaker/headphone gallery thread (which requires no comments). Is there a reason the gallery is stickied and the comment thread is not?

By the way, forgot the name of the person who posted the teaser pic of those nice Swan speakers but nice setup. Looking forward to seeing the complete set.

Edit: Checking back on the gallery thread, I the pic was from EGGO.

Just a suggestion, why not don't you utilize the visitors page if you have a comment or question. I'm subbed to this thread and I don't have time to check every single time a reply is made in regards to a setup.

As a matter of fact, I should start using it myself lol

Got a dedicated headphone amp: Woo Audio WA6SE with upgrades. Makes a killer combo with the Nova as a DAC and the Denon cans.

woo-1.jpg

woo-2.jpg

woo-3.jpg

Pretty :) I do love glowing tubes i must admit.

Been looking at the RX900s for a while but I'm hesitant because I can only use circumaural headphones for any length of time, and I can't make out the size of the earcups on them. Do they sit on the ear or around?

They'd sit around your ears.

So, I just picked up a pair of 558's...

They sound like absolute ass with my on board sound. I suppose a card is in order here, or perhaps a dac/amp?

tell us what you think is wrong with the sound.
maybe you need some amplification or even headphones with another sound signature.

FWIW, I still monitor the pics thread... I decided to let the comments ride for a bit.. If it get's dirtied up to the point of having five pages of comments and no pics... I will commence to spring cleaning. So don't take it personally if your comments get deleted. (COMMENTS STILL HAVE TO BE ON TOPIC)

So go ahead and try and keep the main pic thread clean, I will reword the main post once I get back from the office.

Last edited:
do you mean you have a lot distortion / background noise?
if so a better soundcard or even better a external solution would help.

what files do you listen to with the headphones? lossless, mp3 ?
maybe the 558s are revealing enough to show shortcomings in the source files.

Actually, the best way to describe it would be it sounds hollow and shallow.

Mostly flac in regards to music.

do you maybe know someone who could lend you another pair of headphones?, just to rule out you dislike the house sound of your phones?
it's possible that there is something wrong with your source. did you try another source? CD-player maybe?

edit:
i would try another set of phones after i read this description on the sennheiser homepage
With their special internal Surround Reflector, the HD 558 open, circumaural headphones are able to generate an extended spatial sound field
seems like they artificial alter the sound to be more spacious, which might contribute to the "hollow" sound you're experiencing

do you maybe know someone who could lend you another pair of headphones?, just to rule out you dislike the house sound of your phones?
it's possible that there is something wrong with your source. did you try another source? CD-player maybe?

edit:
i would try another set of phones after i read this description on the sennheiser homepage

seems like they artificial alter the sound to be more spacious, which might contribute to the "hollow" sound you're experiencing

Hmm, I'll have to try it. I wish I could describe it better, but I guess rough/hollow sums it up.

I would return that 558. It is basically a hd 555. Go with a Beyer Headphone. 770, 880 or 990. I would also consider getting a better source. There are plenty better than onboard for cheap. You are in the UK?

Back