Sparkle Gold Class GW-EPS1250DA possible review?

It's manufactured by Great Wall, which is a manufacturer that has had no North American presence in the high-end PSU market until now. Its quality remains to be seen.

Anyone who does "real" PSU reviews ever review this puppy? There are some pretty good deals on the 'egg for it as combo deals with GTX 4xx series cards at the moment.

There's no doubt this unit does 1250W at room temperature, and the efficiency really good. The design is solid, but the parts used (caps, etc.) are questionable, so life span is up in the air.

There's no doubt this unit does 1250W at room temperature, and the efficiency really good. The design is solid, but the parts used (caps, etc.) are questionable, so life span is up in the air.
Please try and get a couple for test/review.:D

Sorry, anyone who has ever done real psu reviews care to chime in?

Joking, joking :p... thanks for the thoughts jonnyGURU :)... it has a 5-year warranty so I may eventually go for it if it's not utter garbage like some units are, with these kinds of combo deals around.

Unfortunately, it DOESN'T work like that. :(

Most companies know their product won't surive testing. The Diablotek 1050W, for example, was paid for by me and Zap (he chipped in $20). It blew up, can't be repaired, so it can't even be sold to regain some of the money. Advertising pays for servers and Wolf's salary. Load test equipment is all paid for out fo pocket. It's not easy running a review site.

The Diablotek 1050W, for example, was paid for by me and Zap (he chipped in $20). It blew up, can't be repaired, so it can't even be sold to regain some of the money.

It blew up, can't be repaired, damaged Wolf's power analyzer...So it also cost more money to repair the equipment and caused Wolf to want to go out and get an even more expensive/better power analyzer.

It's indeed an insidious tactic. The manufacturer makes them so crappy that the PSUs destroys the testers equipment. After a while, PSU testers will be afraid to hook one of those murderous units to their test bench, and voila... The manufacturer doesn't have to worry about getting their crap units reviewed and getting a thumbs down. D:

/jk :p

Unfortunately, it DOESN'T work like that. :(

Most companies know their product won't surive testing. The Diablotek 1050W, for example, was paid for by me and Zap (he chipped in $20). It blew up, can't be repaired, so it can't even be sold to regain some of the money. Advertising pays for servers and Wolf's salary. Load test equipment is all paid for out fo pocket. It's not easy running a review site.
I know & your site is loved & respected by all, now just to make it profitable...

What if one of us sent you one? How long would it take for you to get around to it?

That's up to Jeremy (Oklahoma Wolf). He's got two or three reviews on the burner and a little road trip around the Eastern U.S.

What did you have in mind?

What if one of us sent you one? How long would it take for you to get around to it?

September at the earliest and probably late September or early October by the time you got it back, assuming it survived.

I get requests like this fairly often... many people don't realize that with me being in Canada, getting stuff across the border is very often a massive hassle. Especially when I need to send stuff back. For this reason alone, I usually decline when it comes to reviewing someone's own personal power supply.

Seriously, I've had review samples that never even made it here because the companies involved couldn't figure out how to document things properly to make it through customs.

Heh yea, talked to Johnny via PM, and it seems like we should just cross our fingers and hope Sparkle will send you guys a review unit.

September at the earliest and probably late September or early October by the time you got it back, assuming it survived.

I get requests like this fairly often... many people don't realize that with me being in Canada, getting stuff across the border is very often a massive hassle. Especially when I need to send stuff back. For this reason alone, I usually decline when it comes to reviewing someone's own personal power supply.

Seriously, I've had review samples that never even made it here because the companies involved couldn't figure out how to document things properly to make it through customs.

Eastern US huh? Gonna go through the good ole Commonwealth of Virginia at all?

Nope - furthest I'm going is New Jersey, and I won't be there long. The main idea is to visit my little sister in Ontario, whom I haven't seen in three years.

Sorry, anyone who has ever done real psu reviews care to chime in?

Joking, joking :p... thanks for the thoughts jonnyGURU :)... it has a 5-year warranty so I may eventually go for it if it's not utter garbage like some units are, with these kinds of combo deals around.

and that there is the catch, if it is utter garbage all you will get in return from the warranty is the added frustration of having to pay shipping costs to return the failed POS and maybe the shipping cost to receive the new/refurbed(?) inbound POS...

that is a chance I refuse to take...

Back