Spare Parts PC - Which OS to Get?

Jeffredo

[H]ard|Gawd
I've accumulated enough old parts to assemble a PC from, more as a "hobby" project than actual need. I have three ideas for the OS. First the hardware:

Athlon 64 X2 6400+
AM2+ Motherboard
4GB of DDR2 800 RAM
128GB SSD

Definitely not going to set the world on fire, but it would be fine for a backup PC for browsing or playing old games. My OS choices are Windows 7 OEM for about $80 (Newegg often has it on sale for that). Only bad thing is that its tied to that one hardware setup and since the hardware is pretty old that might not be a wise choice. Second choice is Windows 8.1 full version for $107.00. That I can moved from PC to PC. Third choice is a dual boot with Windows XP and a Linux distro. I can keep the XP side offline after April. That choice would cost me nothing (and give me a chance to learn something about Linux). What would you do? Also, if I keep the XP side of a dual boot without a network connection, would it still be vulnerable if I have the PC hooked up to the internet (for the Linux side)?

If you have an SSD, I wouldn't use less than 7. As for whether you should use 7 or 8, only you can answer that.

I like 7 fine (its on my main PC), but have no experience with 8.1. Again, the Win 7 would be OEM so I can't move it to another PC down the road. The 8.1 would be a full version so I could.

I would go with Win 7 myself. I dislike the 8.1 UI and Classic Shell and whatnot tend to brick Win 8/8.1 for me and other family members. For stability reasons and a proper desktop UI I would go with 7.

I can run things like Fallout NV and Skyrim from Steam on a Linux distro? Ah, nvm - I see they still have to be Linux compatible.

Last edited:
Not sure if you would have issues trying to run "old" games on win8/8.1. You might want to look around to see if people have had issues running the games you want to play.
My opinion, windows 7 but that is just my opinion no particular dislike of 8 but it is better with touch.

Excuse me, why can win8 move and win7 cannot?

With a full retail version of Windows 8.1 I could wipe it from the old PC and install it on a new one down the road. You can only have it on one PC at a time, but at least it can be removed from one and installed on another. With the Windows 7 OEM version (which is about all I can find - they don't seem to sell the full retail version anymore) its tied to the PC you install it on. The license supposedly can't be used again (beyond a reinstall on that same PC).

With a full retail version of Windows 8.1 I could wipe it from the old PC and install it on a new one down the road. You can only have it on one PC at a time, but at least it can be removed from one and installed on another. With the Windows 7 OEM version (which is about all I can find - they don't seem to sell the full retail version anymore) its tied to the PC you install it on. The license supposedly can't be used again (beyond a reinstall on that same PC).

hmmm ... oops .. I should uninstall Windows from my 3 computers and laptop then .. one key per setup, butt! .. those keys didn't start out on those computers originally .. like the ocean moving upon the seashore .. every in constant flux .. changing .. evolving .. sometimes dying and so the key moves on to something else ..

computers come and go .. but the key never dies!

*ring-ring* .. hello microsoft .. how many computers is this copy of microsoft windows installed on you ask? .. why .. only one mr. automated voice dude .. **Verified!**

I wouldn't touch SteamOS for desktop usage. I find Linux Mint easy to use.

I think I'm leaning towards a dual boot Linux/XP system. If I don't like it I can always stick Win 7 on it.

I'd do the dual boot XP/Linux. It never hurts to learn Linux. And, you could always turn it into a little server later on.

Back