Spanning Tree Protocol in a Mixed Environment - Managed and Unmanaged Switches

epimetheus

Gawd
I've got a question for those more knowledgeable than I. I'm looking at expanding the network in a substation for a client and I'd like to implement some redundancy. I've got a managed switch in one building and 2 separate fiber paths to another building that I need to expand the network into. I've got 2 relay panels in the other building with devices that I need to connect into the network. My thought is to install a small unmanaged switch with fiber and copper ports in each relay panel. The new switches would have 2 fiber and 3 copper ports (my end devices have copper ports). I plan on using the fiber ports in a ring configuration with both ends termination at the managed switch in the other building.

My question to you guys is will the managed switch be able to detect the ring through the unmanaged switches and properly block one of the ring ports?

Unmanaged switches just pass bpdus, so it will (should) work. But make sure stp is running on managed swith before plugging it in or get ready for network meltdown :)

Back