Spanned Desktop with SLI. Day to day use

p0lish

Gawd
So i have two 680s in SLI and when i play games like war thunder or recently titanfall it's awesome. Nothing like triple monitor gaming. My question is how do you guys deal with it in day to day use. I use the normal chrome/excel/word/outlook and it's just such a pain. Maximizing windows across all three for a youtube video, chrome always opens in an odd way. Am i missing some obvious tips or settings? Are there any programs i can get to make this not be so bad? Also closing 5+ apps to switch back and forth kinda blows. Any tips appreciated!

You switch back from surround to extended displays for day to day use.

Use Matrox Powerdesk Software. It'll do similar things as Hydragrid from ATI/AMD.

I used to use it with the Th2Go, should work with Surround.

iShadow makes something called "virtual desktop manager" for $35. I'm curious how it works, but I have not got my setup stable enough to even have the problem you have.

iShadow makes something called "virtual desktop manager" for $35. I'm curious how it works, but I have not got my setup stable enough to even have the problem you have.

iShadow looks pretty cool. And for Surround gaming, you can add exe's to an exclusion list. If I understand that correctly, it won't affect the games. Thanks for the link, I might have to pick this up for my setup.

You switch back from surround to extended displays for day to day use.
This. I made a small script to handle toggling Surround on and off: You can find that thread here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1590030

For single-card Surround users:
- Just double-click the executable to toggle between Extended and Spanned modes.

For SLI + Surround users:
- Add one additional video cable that leads from your primary graphics card to the monitor connected to your secondary graphics card (this monitor is effectively plugged in twice).
- Just double-click the executable to toggle between Extended and Spanned modes.

The additional video cable is required for SLI setups because of how Nvidia shuffles display heads around on SLI + Surround systems. Works fine, though.

Back