SPAM recomendations needed

I wanted to call out for some SPAM blocking recommendations, our current solution is not providing the features that we need.

History: started with a barracuda 400, but had continuous reliability issues with it locking up or queuing thousands of messages.

Current: Have ORF installed on the exchange servers - problems: no individual per-user white list/black list, lots of small organizations with misconfigured mail servers (no reverse DNS, wrong MX records, or spoofed from address) are getting blocked before the white list, bad visibility into new domains that are getting blocked to pro-actively monitor and white list small domains.

We need a solution that can handle 100-200k messages per day, have individual white list / black list controls, send daily reports to end users, have global white list / black lists, and ideally a way to notify of new domains that are getting blocked that haven't been seen before or a good way to review one off problems. Virus scanning is a must, data-leakage option would be good as well. Plug-ins for SPAM tools into outlook are a plus.

All suggestions welcome, even 'push it to the cloud' but I want it to be backed up with a minimum of 6 month of hands on experience. Environment is Microsoft Exchange with around 4k mailboxes. The environment is education/medical/enterprise, and hosts multiple email and AD domains.

Here is my experience:

SPAM is fake meat in a can, to block it, don't buy it.

Now spam is another story,

Barracuda Networks: Strange you had stability issues, i have several 200 models out there, never had an issue with one. Was it rate limiting your email?

Orf: Never tried it, i wanted to sell it to one customer, but they are to cheap, they just complain lol

App River: Awesome spam filtering, kinda expensive for the cloud though.

Postini: Sucked ass, but was cheap.

SPAM is fake meat in a can, to block it, don't buy it.
Yeah, I tried it once as a kid because I was curious; that was a mistake.

The Barracuda 400 for us would lock up at least once a month and stop processing the email queue which would back up for a few hours until we questioned why it was a slow email day. It also failed / hard locked a few times, and even lost all of its settings and had to be rebuilt. We had Barracuda remote connect a number of times, and couldn't find a problem. The response time on it is terrible as well; 20-30 seconds to load admin pages. The features were great, but I couldn't get them to try and get another demo 400 and cluster to see if that would solve the issue.

Strange, normally they are really nice with demo's. My vendor was.
Anyway, look at app river i'm a reseller if your interested.

There are other options like ironport our there, but i priced it out at $13K for 500 users lol.

Others would be websense email filtering, not sure how much it is

We use and resell an app called MailMarshal. It installs on top of Server 2003/08 and now is certificed for virtualization. Not sure if you want to down this path, but hey it's worth a shot.

It's really easy to configure and the last place we put it in that had exchange we went from like 20 spams per person down to 0 to 1 spam email a day.

They currently have plug ins for av but it's certain brands.

M8e6 SMTP Security

They also contract with a 3rd party that does email archiving all thought I can't remember what the name of that product is.

Back