Spam Overwhelms E-mail Messages

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new security report says that 97% of all e-mail are unwanted junk. If it’s not spam it is virus or some other form of malware. This map showing infection rates by country is a tad bit depressing don’t you think?

Hmmm, an email from someone I don't know, and they want to send me something about the old trojans? I must open it immediately and find out what it is. OOOH I CAN'T WAIT. OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY.... Hmm, this file won't open, I'll double click it again to see if anything changes from the first time I clicked it.

*khstan seem pretty clear in green :) Spam is probably scared of borat's bikini:)

I'd say that map is about right. About 90% of the spam I get is in Russian.

Mongolia is only green because they only have two computers on the whole country.

Surprised that infection rates are so low in the West. It seems like every other person I know has computer problems, in most cases connected to viruses or malware.

Maybe it is time to make some sort of security protocol for email addresses to restrict the generation of spam. How I do not know, maybe make a system that requires registered email domains to send mail and the domain must be registered and confirmed to an individual or buisness.

False: Gmail, i have had maybe like 2 spam messages in the past 2 months..

So if 97% of Email is spam or unwanted, Oh no I'm not disputing that fact after running a spam filter for my job, then when does the global out cry and mobs with burning torches go find these bastards and destroy them?

Rarely does spam make it to my gmail account and my hotmail account isn't to bad either, little more likely.

You guys don't realize there's a difference between email traffic overall and what hits your personal inbox or even your 'spam' box?

Hmm, what does that map represent, who's getting spammed most or who is spamming the most?

Maybe it is time to make some sort of security protocol for email addresses to restrict the generation of spam. How I do not know, maybe make a system that requires registered email domains to send mail and the domain must be registered and confirmed to an individual or buisness.

Actually there are ways now to cut it down but nobody uses them. Or at least very few do. One of which is a type of sender verification. I can't think of its exact name now, but basicly how it works if to check to make sure that the outgoing mail server has permission to send mail on behalf of the sender's email address. For example, right now more than likely I could send you an email through my mail server saying it is from [email protected] and it would go through just fine and you would recieve it. However if he wanted to Kyle could make some changes so that the he only gives permission to mailserver.hardocp.com (or whatever their mail server's name is). Then if every other mail server out there was set to check that setting only his mail server could send out emails that were coming from hardocp.com. If I tried to send you an email at that point from [email protected] from mailserver.mydomain.com, then it wouldn't go through. Your server would get the email from [email protected], do the check and see that it came from mailserver.mydomain.com which isn't on the list of valid mail server and would discard the email. If everyone would enable this feature for both checking for valid outgoing servers and for saying which servers are valid senders on their behalf, there would be a drop in recieved spam then from anyone that is spoofing email addresses. Add a check to make sure the email came from a valid email address and you have cut down more spam that comes from fake email addresses at a domain. Leaving you only spam comming from valid email addresses at a valid domain name, coming from servers with permission to send on that domain's behalf. Those two things could cut down on a decent amount of spam in my opinion. However most people don't want to be bothered by setting them up or they don't know about the existance of either of them. However the bad thing about allowing for another server to see which email addresses are valid is that helps people get a list of your email addresses for spam, so I could see that one not being done. However the sender validation wouldn't cause any issues.

You guys don't realize there's a difference between email traffic overall and what hits your personal inbox or even your 'spam' box?

Those are all 3 very different. I am fully aware of the difference between all of them. Your mail server will reject some mail based on various filters or settings that it has, your spam filter will outright block some stuff and put others in your spam box. Only after the mail gets past both do they end up in your inbox. So there is normally a lot more mail coming at you that doesn't make it into either your spam or inbox. Been there, configured all of those.

SPF, Sender Policy Framework is available now and is somewhat useful.

Not quite up to 97% yet, getting there tho.
2vbmn36.jpg

Not quite up to 97% yet, getting there tho.
2vbmn36.jpg

I can do better for the year
My report says 0.0% valid 100% spam

2n245sz.jpg

Delivered and marked up both would have actually made it to a person's mail box. Those together is only just a tad over .029% of the total incoming for the year.

So it is actually 0.029% that makes it to a mailbox with 99.971% either going to the spam box or being blocked

Assume that anything marked up is junk, and probably about 10% of the other delivered, and you are down to ony .02% being valid and 99.98% being spam / stuff that is blocked.

Back