Spam and Spyware: Robbing my bandwidth?

LazerWire

Limp Gawd
Couldn't it be argues that unsolicited spam and spyware are robbing me of the bandwidth I pay for monthly, as part of my ISP fee?

If so, couldn't the legality of spam and spyware be challenged on these grounds?

Just a thought...

-LW

Spam and Spyware are already under intense legal pressure, so your idea, although somewhat valid, wouldn't really hold up compared to the far more serious compplaints.

Spam and spyware couldn't account for that much bandwidth anyway, so unless you have a pitiful low cap, I doubt it would ever factor in.

would 30gb/down and 7gb/up count as pitiful? Dam I need to get a new ISP.

I think it is valid but traking down the spyware would almost be impossible and sometimes you even agree to install it (kazaa).

Depends on your connection. If you have a metered line ( you pay x for y units of bandwidth ) you might have something. Good chance that if you can't quantify it in dollar amounts, then you really don't have a case.

Now, granted, legal fees alone would be monstrous here. But in theory, it could work. Further, for the case to have even more merit, you'd want to make sure they stole enough from you ( remember, we're talking cost$ now ) to be more than a misdemeanor ( which, I believe it's a misdemeanor<sp> at something like 2 bucks + ). And on top of all this, it'd need to be a single company responsible for it all.

So IF you have a metered line, and IF it's ONE company that cost you more than X amount ( cost of felony charges? *shrug* ), then you MIGHT have a case. Only then can you pay some sleaze ball lawyer obscene amounts of cash to win back the X amount ( which is probably trivial to the company ).

Back