SpaceX Launches and Lands Rocket in California

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
SpaceX successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket with the SAOCOM 1A satellite from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, then landed the rocket right where it took off. Though they've landed rockets in Florida before, this marks the first time a SpaceX rocket landed on the west coast. This was SpaceX's 17th launch this year, which puts them on track to break 2017's record of 18 launches.

You can see the full livestream of the launch here.

The SAOCOM 1A satellite is operated by Argentina’s Space Agency, the National Commission on Space Activities (CONAE). The satellite carries an active instrument consisting of a Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), which works in the microwave range of the electromagnetic spectrum, particularly the L-band. The SAOCOM 1 mission consists of a constellation of two identical satellites, SAOCOM 1A and 1B, each of which carries an L-Band SAR polarimetric instrument. The mission’s main purpose is to gather soil moisture information.

Questions people should be asking:

"How many X can a Falcon 9 place in permanent orbit," where "X" is one of Facebook Portals, Silicon Valley executives, politicians, and so on.

How many X can a Falcon 9 place in permanent orbit
Not enough i am afraid :( but they should have launched dead weight like that instead of a bloody tesla on top of that falcon heavy.

We sure are reaping what we sow these days, really too bad we are so stupid.

Damn impressive as always! Too bad the world will never get its shit together, be nice to see this happen one day. - "Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its 5-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Last edited:
Saw this myself last night.
Pretty damn cool to see!

I'm like a 4 hour drive north of the launch pad and still got a great view.

NGq4pcg.jpg

So glad some companies are pushing the limits of possible .

Can't wait to see what elon digs into next

SpaceX private and everyone loves them.

Makes me wonder what would happen if it was a public company? Would people write hit peices on them and proclaim them "unsafe" every other day? Would people bet against them(shorts) the way they do on Tesla? Food for thought....

SpaceX private and everyone loves them.

Makes me wonder what would happen if it was a public company? Would people write hit peices on them and proclaim them "unsafe" every other day? Would people bet against them(shorts) the way they do on Tesla? Food for thought....

Yes people would buy shorts and then spread anything negitive they can. That's pretty much what happens with all stocks (*cough* supermicro) that's why there is so much bs out there

As impressive as this was, nothing in the immediate future will beat a dual landing.

I was in Santa Barbara at dinner and caught a few pics of this also. It was large and really lit up they sky.

44715EBC-A641-4BE5-8C95-C24DB9D17A05.jpeg 47077908-8E96-408B-8EC3-ABEDAAF6161A.jpeg FB760E42-E8F0-4135-8156-028179007098.jpeg

Damn impressive as always! Too bad the world will never get its shit together, be nice to see this happen one day. - "Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its 5-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

We're getting there. SpaceX is getting closer and closer to achieving the 'launch every two weeks' schedule that was planned for the Space Shuttle.

All I see is a cheaper way to get even more shit into LEO. New policy: you take something up, you have to bring something down.

Reliable, low-cost access to orbit will enable disposable satellite constellations in low earth orbit with much higher bandwith/speed thanks to their lower altitude. When they fail or reach EOL atmospheric drag will bring the dead satelites down in 2-5 years.

Back