Space Marine Demo Aug 23rd

Yes you can, and you should. Just because every other shit developer is being lazy with PC ports, doesn't mean it's acceptable.

If FOV isn't adjustable then it had better be fucking right to start with...not this 50-degree bullshit.

I never meant to say it was right, but its hardly the standard to have an adjustable FOV and never has been. Also its hard to describe CDProjekt as a "shit developer...being lazy with PC ports" yet they did the exact same thing.

Have you tried the game? Honestly I'm normally sensitive to low FOV but the FOV in Space Marine didn't really bother me as much as it does in FPS games and it didn't make me nauseated like the piece of shit camera in Dead Space. Probably because the context is different, I'm not staring down the sights of a gun at a fixed point that the character is looking at.

Last edited:
Check out this playthrough of the demo. The game looks great. Only drawback as far as I can see is the usual low field of view.

Check out this playthrough of the demo. The game looks great. Only drawback as far as I can see is the usual low field of view.

FOV is something that people always bitch about but has never bothered me. Game actually looks like fun but I'm probably going to force myself to play Darksliders and Devil May Cry 4 before I play it.

FOV is something that people always bitch about but has never bothered me. Game actually looks like fun but I'm probably going to force myself to play Darksliders and Devil May Cry 4 before I play it.

Darksiders is a great game. I dont know about DMC4, I played the demo and it didn't float my boat enough to buy it.

Darksiders is a great game. I dont know about DMC4, I played the demo and it didn't float my boat enough to buy it.

The first half of DMC4 is awesome. The part where you literally backtrack through the entire game refighting every boss is not, especially since they screwed up Dante making him feel sluggish compared to Nero.

I never meant to say it was right, but its hardly the standard to have an adjustable FOV and never has been. Also its hard to describe CDProjekt as a "shit developer...being lazy with PC ports" yet they did the exact same thing.

Have you tried the game? Honestly I'm normally sensitive to low FOV but the FOV in Space Marine didn't really bother me as much as it does in FPS games and it didn't make me nauseated like the piece of shit camera in Dead Space. Probably because the context is different, I'm not staring down the sights of a gun at a fixed point that the character is looking at.

I was speaking generally, not specifically about Space Marine. I did sign up for the poxy Honour Guard thing though and no email, no demo unlock, nothing.

The first half of DMC4 is awesome. The part where you literally backtrack through the entire game refighting every boss is not, especially since they screwed up Dante making him feel sluggish compared to Nero.

I never understood the criticisms about having to fight every boss again...every DMC game has required you fight each boss about three times and backtrack through levels, yet it only suddenly became an issue in DMC4. It's like all the RE5 whiners with their "it's too different with it's over-the-shoulder view!" while completely ignoring there was a game called Resident Evil 4.

I was speaking generally, not specifically about Space Marine. I did sign up for the poxy Honour Guard thing though and no email, no demo unlock, nothing.

"Honour Guard" just = having an account on their forums.

I didn't get an email either, its on the website... did you go to the page I linked to on the previous page?

I probably said no to getting news emails back when I made the account 6 or 7 months ago. But either way, just go to the page on their website and it'll pop up an activation code you can plug into Steam to get the demo.

And if you haven't already registered...
http://www.spacemarine.com/news

Is anyone else not able to download the demo? I click on the link in Steam but nothing happens.

nevermind, found my Honor Guard key.

Last edited:
You clearly.. didn't play the demo :O

Yes, I did play the demo. Found no options to change FOV, and the only keys I could map were the weapons. Nothing else. I kept getting killed by the "bigger? orks" whatever they were (ignore my team members, go right for me and hit me so much I cant move until I die) - only to have to do the same mission over and over (the elevator one). I had no problem handling one earlier, but with two at once I kept getting cornered and couldn't get maneuvering room.

Reeks of console-itis, which I am allergic to.

I don't understand how people can't remap keys. I was remaping keys just fine.

The combat is very satisfying. Once you figure out the combos to stun and execute you will want to jump in a huge mob and just ruin everyone's day.

I don't understand how people can't remap keys. I was remaping keys just fine.

The combat is very satisfying. Once you figure out the combos to stun and execute you will want to jump in a huge mob and just ruin everyone's day.

I dunno, the only options for me were the weapons.
*shrug*

I found the combat way too busy, hard to see whats going on with all the special effects going and constant camera angle changes. Guess I am getting old.

I dunno, the only options for me were the weapons.
*shrug*

I found the combat way too busy, hard to see whats going on with all the special effects going and constant camera angle changes. Guess I am getting old.

You have to change the controls before you start a game. Hopefully they fix that in the final game because it is a bit annoying, but you most certainly can remap the keys and you can remap everything and you can even assign 2 buttons to do the same thing. The game has the standard options as far as remapping is concerned.

The only real "consolitis" I've seen is the fact its a 3rd person hack and slash, which is a genre that typically resides on the console. So you're kinda saying the genre in and of itself is consolitis. Dying and having to replay something is hardly consolitis, you can't expect to die and warp to the next segment of the game :p

FYI, to take out those 2 Nobz, try using Fury. When you're in Fury you can just instantly kill them without having to first stun them (press E or whatever the instant-kill-health-regen button is). If you time it right you can take out both Nobz with 1 fury, but even if you can just take out one of the Nobz you should be able to handle the other using stuns and dodges.

I dont even consider low FOV consolitis anymore because PC exclusives are going down the same road for some retarded reason.

Damn, this is a fun one. Very satisfying combat.

I don't mind the 3rd person view when there's a lot of melee fighting. Didn't get a consolitis feel either.

Damn, this is a fun one. Very satisfying combat.

I don't mind the 3rd person view when there's a lot of melee fighting. Didn't get a consolitis feel either.

The only question in my mind is how deep the game will be. The combat system is fun, but really not that deep, after an hour or two when you've seen every combo 50 times and every execution 100 times its gonna get repetitive.

I really want some more depth than that, hack and slash games I like always have a very polished and flexible combat system, which I'm not seeing in the demo for Space Marine (sure, its fun... but I dont think it'll be fun over the course of an entire game).

The combat system really isn't much better than Darksiders, I was hoping it would be, but really its not. But the fun part about Darksiders wasn't JUST the combat, it was the whole package, it seems Space Marine is relying too heavily on its combat system remaining entertaining despite there being only a handful of combos and executions.

You have to change the controls before you start a game. Hopefully they fix that in the final game because it is a bit annoying

It's more than a bit annoying. Not only can you not change the keys, you cannot check to see what key does what. Not sure what idiot thought that was a good idea.

I went through the whole first map of the demo not knowing you could dodge melee attacks because I couldn't see the command list once I started playing. And I only discovered what key threw grenades by accident. Kept hitting g. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I thought multi meltas and meltas were an anti armor anti tank beam weapon. At least on the SM side.

Melta weapons are pretty much the ultimate tank busters, but they are intentionally short range (the lascannon fulfills the long range anti-tank role). For reference, in tabletop 40K meltas have a 12" range with an armor penetration bonus if within 6" of the target whereas bolters have a 24" range (and can rapid fire within 12") and bolt pistols have a 12" range.

Melta weapons also have a shorter range in the DoW games which is consistent with the tabletop game and the lore.

wtf, steam d/l's the demo, then when I go to play it says "incomplete installation."

wtf, game refuses to save my configuration settings, audio/video as well as mouse/keyboard settings. Every time I launch the game I have to reconfigure everything. Making it very off putting. Anyone else having this problem?

wtf, game refuses to save my configuration settings, audio/video as well as mouse/keyboard settings. Every time I launch the game I have to reconfigure everything. Making it very off putting. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes I do too.

I have weird ratios come up too. It has:

16:9
683:384
25:16
5:3
and 4:3

Everytime I set the resolution it resets itself to 1360x768 (683:384) when I reload :D

Maybe the config file is set to read only?

I had this same problem, but I can excuse it because:

1. It's a demo, and
2. It's a demo.

Damn that demo was great. I was kind of "it's alright I guess" with the game before but now I kind of want it. Don't know if it's moved to "must buy at release" territory yet, but it is still really damn good. I'm not really a 40K fan (don't dislike it, just never took the time to get into the universe besides the Dawn of War games) but I can see where fans would be really excited and into it.

I willfully knew nothing of the Warhammer 40,000 universe -- after playing the demo however that's going to change. Very solid experience with one small nitpick: the Third-person FOV could be pulled out a little more and that'd solve most of the issue(s) I had with the demo.

Extra points to the developer for allowing all buttons to be remapped, aim toggle, proper on screen prompts, and decent amount of video options as well. This is NOT a lazy port and deserves attention.

If you liked the Warhammer 40k universe check out Dawn of War II, Chaos Rising and Retribution. Those are a blast co-op too. Oh, and read the books, whatever.

Yes I do too.

I have weird ratios come up too. It has:

16:9
683:384
25:16
5:3
and 4:3

Everytime I set the resolution it resets itself to 1360x768 (683:384) when I reload :D

Maybe the config file is set to read only?

Yeah I had that problem too. Apparently its because your "My Documents" folder isn't in the default location (I have mine on a different drive as I didn't want it clogging up my SSD). On the official forums one of the admins has said that it will be fixed in the final game.

well that's good.
I too also tried using an x360 controller as you Tudz, but found the game to play like shit. Melee worked great, but the shooting really just made the game fall apart. Feels really unatural and uncomfortable, to me anyway. I suppose the aim-assist option helps greatly, but that's not the way I'm playing it. Didn't even try.
Mouse and keyboard feels great now that I got the controls customized and have played for a while. Getting used to it. Just tired of having to reconfig everything every time.

It's really fun, that's for sure, especially if you're a fan of the Warhammer universe. A big problem I have is the multiplayer, there will be no gore and although unconfirmed it'll most likely be P2P servers. I will still buy it though as I'm a big fan of Warhammer and the actual game plays really well.

It's really fun, that's for sure, especially if you're a fan of the Warhammer universe. A big problem I have is the multiplayer, there will be no gore and although unconfirmed it'll most likely be P2P servers. I will still buy it though as I'm a big fan of Warhammer and the actual game plays really well.

yeah, at least 70% of the fun was brutally slaying orks, so I'm not sure how interesting the MP will be without that. From the videos I've seen it looked like TF2 was more gory..

I'll probably buy Space Marine solely on the fact I'm a big 40K fan (tabletop and lore/novels), but I wasn't terribly impressed by the demo. The gameplay seems to be fairly shallow and I'm not sure it'll be entertaining for more than a couple hours.

i enjoyed it, even used the 360 controller instead of mouse and KB.

Second-time through the demo and the shine really wore off. Whole gameplay featured was basically spamming "light attack, light attack, light attack, stun attack" with some optional Executions and unsatisfying gunplay to break it up a bit.

Might rent this one first.

Second-time through the demo and the shine really wore off. Whole gameplay featured was basically spamming "light attack, light attack, light attack, stun attack" with some optional Executions and unsatisfying gunplay to break it up a bit.

Might rent this one first.

I can't see paying full price for it myself. Good but not great IMO.

I willfully knew nothing of the Warhammer 40,000 universe -- after playing the demo however that's going to change. Very solid experience with one small nitpick: the Third-person FOV could be pulled out a little more and that'd solve most of the issue(s) I had with the demo.

I wonder if the FOV was done to cater to sexually-insecure male gamers who get pathologically bothered by the sight of a fully-covered male ass in third-person shooters. I mean if nothing else happening in the game can possibly draw your eyes' attention away from the buttocks area than...;)

Fun demo but not a full price buy for me. I will wait till its $10 like I did with DarkSiders.

Downloaded it and really couldn't play it cause my computer sucks, guess ill try the demo on my 360 tonite instead.

Was indeed a fun demo but I have a few issues with it that I think will keep me from buying the game even though I like what little I know of the 40k universe:

It's a console port and they didnt even try to hide it (Xbox controller in the controls menu...)
Eyefinity mode doesnt appear to be support, it just stretched the image across 3 screens...UGLY
Gameplay, though fun in the VERY short demo, will most likely get repetitive and old pretty quick.

Back