Space Marine $12.49 on GreenmanGaming Activates on Steam

I really love the WH40K franchise and the price is nice, but these days I'm kind of inclined to let things settle down from a DLC point of view before I take the plunge on a GOTY / compilation edition.

If was pretty fun game. A little short if i had to complain about it but most FPS games these days are short. Very satisfying cutting down orcs with various weapons. The jump pack sections were just stupid fun.

I really love the WH40K franchise and the price is nice, but these days I'm kind of inclined to let things settle down from a DLC point of view before I take the plunge on a GOTY / compilation edition.

as far as i can tell there hasnt been much as far as paid-DLC is concerned for this title. if anything i believe its only some bitz for your multiplayer models

This game is worth $12.49 for anyone who is a fan on Warhammer 40k, or sci-fi shooters in general.

I already beat the campaign and put several multiplayer hours into a rented Xbox 360 version of the game. I'm still gonna hop on this for the price.

I just hope people are still playing the multiplayer for this on the PC. I had a hard time finding matches on the 360 during non-peak parts of the day.

The recently released $10 Chaos Unleashed pack added a Chaos Exterminatus against Orks and Imperials. I would play more if the MP was more fun for me.

For $12 this game is definitely worth the single player experience if you like WH40K. Try the demo and decide for yourself.

I just hope people are still playing the multiplayer for this on the PC. I had a hard time finding matches on the 360 during non-peak parts of the day.

It is easy to find games with people playing but I hate the P2P method they utilize. Also, the Chaos Unleashed has sort of split the community into haves and have-nots.

I paid 30 for it a few months ago, I don't regret it, and I am normally not a single player kinda guy

How are the PC controls for this game? I've only played the PS3 version and I don't have a gamepad that'll hook up to my PC...

I haven't tried it yet but if you have a wired xbox 360 controller it will work with PC. That is what I use for my pc gamepad.

I would still be on the fence at $12 if you are in it for the single player "story mode," otherwise save the money....Was anticipating this game with a couple other HUGE warhammer friends and felt it lacking. If you like darksiders or hack and slash games that don't require too much concentration then this game is for you. The multiplayer, on the other hand would have been fun if it weren't for the huge lag spikes and glitching everywhere which made the game unplayable. Does anyone know if they ever got around to fixing this? - - I didn't stick around to wait for patches, but, If multiplayer were fixed...then it'd be worth it without a doubt.

This game was disappointing to me in terms of what could be. Not that I am saying it is necessarily a bad game or not worth the money though. I've only played the demo and read about it.

There were 3 things I was hoping for that did not make it (I knew before release, not a buyers remorse situation. Actually still haven't bought it, might do it with this deal) -

1) Lack of customization, and to some extent RPG elements, in single player.
2) Single player coop mode, this honestly seems like it was made for this.
3) Dedicated/self hosted servers with browser for MP. I feel this is important as the game was unlikely to maintain a large player base, which seems to be true (currently half the players online as Retribution, which I play). This would make a much more consistent and reliable MP experience over match making as the player population fluctuates.

I was also hoping for other races :p

Does anyone want to comment on the current MP situation?

Does anyone know if they ever got around to fixing this? - - I didn't stick around to wait for patches, but, If multiplayer were fixed...then it'd be worth it without a doubt.

Not really. The whole system is P2P based so you are at the mercy of the player that is designated as the host. Sometimes it can be silky smooth and then go straight into the toilet.

This game was disappointing to me in terms of what could be. Not that I am saying it is necessarily a bad game or not worth the money though. I've only played the demo and read about it.

There were 3 things I was hoping for that did not make it (I knew before release, not a buyers remorse situation. Actually still haven't bought it, might do it with this deal) -

1) Lack of customization, and to some extent RPG elements, in single player.

Agreed.

2) Single player coop mode, this honestly seems like it was made for this.

This was a big hope for me before they announced the details of the Exterminatus mode. This game screams out for actual objective-based gameplay versus the generic and often spastic capture the flag mode.

3) Dedicated/self hosted servers with browser for MP. I feel this is important as the game was unlikely to maintain a large player base, which seems to be true (currently half the players online as Retribution, which I play). This would make a much more consistent and reliable MP experience over match making as the player population fluctuates.

Biggest miss in the whole game. I understand their decision based on the fact that the game seems primarily designed for consoles. It seems to be enough of a success that we can hope for a better PC implementation or sequel at some point.

I was also hoping for other races :p

Pleasepleasepleaseplease! Again, the basic gameplay mechanics work quite well for the combination distance and melee combat that the 40K universe requires. During several discussion with friends who are both 40K fans and play Space Marine we have reached the general consensus that Relic needs to use this as a stepping stone to a Space Hulk game.

Does anyone want to comment on the current MP situation?

In what regards? Population or playability?

In what regards? Population or playability?

In terms of both. I just checked the population right now for instance and it is half that of Retribution. Granted both are not the same genre, but games take forever to find in Retribution and the quality is "inconsistent" to put it mildly in terms of balanced matchups and lag :p

I'd probably play coop the most for Space Marine MP. Whereas for Retribution I play versus. I know Last Stand games are much faster to find and playable compared to versus though.

Not really. The whole system is P2P based so you are at the mercy of the player that is designated as the host. Sometimes it can be silky smooth and then go straight into the toilet.

Yeah, it was always at the mercy of the host. Fun playing with hosts from Brazil: who find it humorous to play with Americans as we glitch everywhere. I really intended to get in on the multiplayer at the time, right before BF3 and then an interim until Star Wars. The time passed, just a shame it wasn't more polished and better thought out.

DL

How are the PC controls for this game? I've only played the PS3 version and I don't have a gamepad that'll hook up to my PC...
If you don't have a gamepad, it will not be as fun and controls may feel cumbersome.
Everyone should invest in a 360 controller. The gamepad is a better option for third person games.

If was pretty fun game. A little short if i had to complain about it but most FPS games these days are short. Very satisfying cutting down orcs with various weapons. The jump pack sections were just stupid fun.

Hack and slash games doesn't need to drag on. I played the game on Hard from the start and got my monies worth.
I suggest any new buyers to play this game on Hard only also.

Its fun. The Derp(Power) Hammer in Exterminatus mode is a really good way of relieving stress especially when you have to save all the noobs with your Thor-like awesomeness.

Back