Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition - 4 Player FPS Co-op

ScuNioN

Weaksauce
Just had to post this after spending over 100 hours playing the game, and around 50 of that being with a few knowledgeable players.

The game is currently on Steam at the sale price of $13.59 and worth every penny. This is the lowest price the game has been at, the other time was the last Steam winter sale.

This is truly a great game for 4 player Co-op. Lots to learn, coordinate with your teammates, and a relatively robust upgrade tree with weapons (attachments, clips, upgrades).

Little background on my recent and past 4 player FPS co-op playing as to lend some credence to the above statement. Deep Rock Galatic (200 hours) Vermintide 1 (400 hours) Vermintide 2 (125 hours), Left for Dead 1-2 (200 hours), Killing Floor 1-2 (200 hours) Warhammer Space Marine (20 hours).

So if you have three other people that like this sort of genre of game I highly recommend picking it up. If you want to check out the game then I recommend joining the semi active (for the game) discord linked below. The few people I have been playing with, we all have been pointing people here to use voice coms and build a community.

https://discord.gg/2cT4uG

I've been so inspired by the game I even have created a character calculator (SS below) and am working on a guide for it (unreleased as it still is in development).

upload_2019-2-5_8-53-47.png

My Steam review below:

Review written at the 90 hour mark.

I had been watching this title since release but heard and saw bad things about it; bugs, performance and no progression system. With the release of Enhanced Edition coupled with a Steam sale I purchased it.

It is a great game with a good amount of depth via leanring the overall systems, weapons, upgraded and of course working with your teammates. I am still learning things about the game from people with far more time invested in than I; this is a good thing (see depth above).

No idea about the single player game this game is all about multiplayer. It is a four player co-op first person shooter, set in the 40k universe where you lumber through tight corridors, doors and small rooms while fighting back to back to fend off aliens. In order to survive you choose classes (out of 6 possible) that can synergize with one another to overcome the Tyranids (aliens).

One thing people seem to not get with this game is that like the pen and paper one that it is based off of, is that marines die to Tyranids easily (1-2 hits). This is not standard in first person shooters and to that fact you want to do everything to increase survivability via 20% armor, 50% acid armor upgrades for your character; these are upgrades you want to do first before any weapon upgrades. You also want to have an Apothecary and possibly a Chaplain in your group to provide heas and team ressurections respectively.

There is very little documentation about this game and new players to the game suffer for it; the difficulty without the knowledge is punishing. I have already started writing a few guides for it to help in this respect. There are bugs but nothing truly crippling, it could use some community help if they ever opened up the code for a team to manage its future development.

It truly is an amazing multiplayer co-op experience, a work of love (thanks Streum) and it shows when you play it as intended; Four player co-op while on voice communication.

LIttle FYI Strenum is a small developer (10-15 people) and deserve every bit of credit for making this game.

I played the single player game. Pretty good game, lots of bugs, but lots of fun once you get your graphic settings right. Map and waypoint system was bugged when I last played.

Companions AI is limited unless you spec them as melee, than they become god like. Endgame was very tedious on hard difficulty (as expected for a WH game).

I might check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

I was in the alpha, beta, original, and have the enhanced.

I'd like to play as a group with some other people. It can be fun if you have a good team and it's not bugging out.

I was going to pick it up but the playerbase dropped pretty fast.

There was/is a lot of bad blood from the alpha/beta/original which were a royal mess that angered the hell out of people willing to play it. While the new version did fix a bit of that most people never came back.

I was going to pick it up but the playerbase dropped pretty fast.

Yeah the developer is very small team (10-12 people) and I can't even believe they launched on three platforms at the same time. Even Fatshark said with Vermintide 1 that since they were a small team (15-20 people), the lack of Q/A and launching on three platforms killed them on launch. Even with a bigger team for Vermintide 2, they delayed the console launches 3-4 months after the PC one.

Enhanced edition really improved every thing quite a bit from what I was told. Great game, marred by a poor launch and very little documentation.

Thanks for the heads-up, this looks pretty cool. I think I remember seeing it awhile back but didn't want to bite at $40.

Yeah the developer is very small team (10-12 people) and I can't even believe they launched on three platforms at the same time. Even Fatshark said with Vermintide 1 that since they were a small team (15-20 people), the lack of Q/A and launching on three platforms killed them on launch. Even with a bigger team for Vermintide 2, they delayed the console launches 3-4 months after the PC one.

Enhanced edition really improved every thing quite a bit from what I was told. Great game, marred by a poor launch and very little documentation.

It's not completely fixed. The game was "launched" in early access/beta and was horrible even for an early access/beta. Then it was launched again and it still ran like crap, still had bugs, and was still a mess. Enchanced Edition is still a mess, more of a mess than other games early access launches! It's a good game marching in a fail parade, it's fun but it's still screwy.

It's not completely fixed. The game was "launched" in early access/beta and was horrible even for an early access/beta. Then it was launched again and it still ran like crap, still had bugs, and was still a mess. Enchanced Edition is still a mess, more of a mess than other games early access launches! It's a good game marching in a fail parade, it's fun but it's still screwy.

I currently have 138 hours playing this game (Enhanced Edition onward), yes it has some bugs. Are the bugs game destroying, impairing or make it so you can't enjoy the game, this is a big fat no. I will go so far to say that I know one player that codes for a living and he has his done his own bug reporting on this title; fully written down and documented and we are submitting to it. The most game destroying bug that I know of is Tyrranids occasionally getting stuck in spawn or right out of spawn points during two objective holds (2-3 minute hold this area objectives) in a multi objective mission.

Back