SP2 or no SP2?

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
I'm running the BFG 6800 GT OC card and I noticed that with it sometimes I'd get artifacts in my games. I switched back to SP1 with DirectX 9.0b and they went away.

Anyone else eperience this?

I'd hold off on DX9.0c until Nvidia releases drivers that officially supports it. Probably will be this week to coincide with the FarCry SM3.0 patch.

I have heard several users state that they had problems when they used dx9.0c with various driversets... So I'd recommend waiting until we get official nvidia drivers for dx9.0c. And official dx9.0c would be nice too :)

tranCendenZ said:
I have heard several users state that they had problems when they used dx9.0c with various driversets... So I'd recommend waiting until we get official nvidia drivers for dx9.0c. And official dx9.0c would be nice too :)

Yeah for now I'm going to hold off and wait and see what nVidia will release and what/when Microsoft will be releasing their final revision of SP2.

So ForceWare and nVidia drivers are two different things correct? ForceWare makes drivers and so does nVidia right? It's like Omega and ATI correct?

[BB] Rick James said:
So ForceWare and nVidia drivers are two different things correct? ForceWare makes drivers and so does nVidia right? It's like Omega and ATI correct?
Not quite. ForceWare is the new name for nVidia's own graphics-card drivers that were formerly known as the Detonator series. (Thus, ForceWare and nVidia are both one and the same company.)

Omega and ATi are a different story, however. Omega is a third-party driver maker who basically takes the ATi (reference) drivers, and then tweaks their IQ and performance to Omega's (as opposed to ATi's) idea of "balanced".

E4g1e said:
Not quite. ForceWare is the new name for nVidia's own graphics-card drivers that were formerly known as the Detonator series. (Thus, ForceWare and nVidia are both one and the same company.)

Omega and ATi are a different story, however. Omega is a third-party driver maker who basically takes the ATi (reference) drivers, and then tweaks their IQ and performance to Omega's (as opposed to ATi's) idea of "balanced".

So why does nVidia not seem to ever have newer drivers on their site? It seems like you always have to go to www.guru3d.com (or sites like guru) to get them?

Well I still am getting those graphical glitches in UT2004 but no other game. Is there an issue with the nVidia drivers and UT2004 or something? The drivers I'm running are in my signature. No matter what drivers I use I'm still getting the glitches.... Things appear and disappear; more or less triangles of either black and white will appear and disappear through game play. Maybe 2 or 3 minutes between one another.

[BB] Rick James said:
So why does nVidia not seem to ever have newer drivers on their site? It seems like you always have to go to www.guru3d.com (or sites like guru) to get them?

Nvidia only releases drivers once every few months. The stuff you have been downloading from Guru3D are beta drivers. The stuff from Nvidia are the official drivers - basically no official drivers have been posted on the website for the 6800 series yet.

[BB] Rick James said:
Well I still am getting those graphical glitches in UT2004 but no other game. Is there an issue with the nVidia drivers and UT2004 or something? The drivers I'm running are in my signature. No matter what drivers I use I'm still getting the glitches.... Things appear and disappear; more or less triangles of either black and white will appear and disappear through game play. Maybe 2 or 3 minutes between one another.

Have you tried the 61.34 and 61.45 driver sets?

burningrave101 said:
Have you tried the 61.34 and 61.45 driver sets?

Yes I've tried them both; the same issue persists. It only appears to be happening with UT2004. FarCry, Soldner, Joint Ops all appear to NOT have the graphical glitch issue I'm encountering with UT2004.

I might reinstall UT2004 see if that fixes the issue.

Well I fixed the issue. I uninstalled UT2004 and reinstalled SP2 and then installed UT2004 again and now the glitches have not showed up since. Must have been something wacky with UT2004. All is well :)

[BB] Rick James said:
Well I fixed the issue. I uninstalled UT2004 and reinstalled SP2 and then installed UT2004 again and now the glitches have not showed up since. Must have been something wacky with UT2004. All is well :)

I take this back; I'm still getting the glitches. It's almost like shadows in the game are flickering every once in a while. Since this is the only game I have encountered this on I'm going to conclude it's either the driver set I'm running (61.71) or it's something with the game and it needs to be fixed with a patch. I haven't heard of anyone else getting this issue but others are getting some issues with the game and the 6800 GT.

[BB] Rick James said:
I take this back; I'm still getting the glitches. It's almost like shadows in the game are flickering every once in a while. Since this is the only game I have encountered this on I'm going to conclude it's either the driver set I'm running (61.71) or it's something with the game and it needs to be fixed with a patch. I haven't heard of anyone else getting this issue but others are getting some issues with the game and the 6800 GT.
Try 61.45.

Scott

It was actually a defective card guys. I RMA'd the old one and I got the new one yesterday. All is well that ends well.

I installed sp2 and 9.0c; but realized something happened when I did....My powerstrip overclock settings would not 'stick'. And my cool bit's overclock settings wouldn't stick either, or would for a short time and then go to default.

I IMAGED my system back to pre SP2 and now Powerstrip works perfect, i can change frequencies at will just like i like. If the official verison is broke like the beta I won't be updating If Microshaft gives me the choice.

Back